Gransnet forums

Chat

10 years younger in 10 days?

(98 Posts)
b1zzle Fri 28-Feb-20 11:44:51

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry during first episode of Ch.5's new series.

Am I the only one who spent ages afterwards making resolutions about their appearance knowing that I'll never keep them?

Still, it was fun while it lasted...

Esspee Fri 28-Feb-20 11:53:31

I haven’t watched the series but I know quite a few friends who look way older than they need to.

Willow500 Fri 28-Feb-20 13:55:05

Amazing what new teeth and a hairdo can achieve grin

GagaJo Fri 28-Feb-20 14:04:53

I fit that category Esspee. Difficult to stay youthful looking when I'm ground down with long working hours and exhaustion.

threexnanny Fri 28-Feb-20 14:26:25

No doubt I'm a bit cynical but if they didn't bother before what will they look like in a few months time when the hair colour and style have grown out, and the professional make-up artist isn't around?
I do agree about the teeth though.

annsixty Fri 28-Feb-20 14:59:20

They should try it on me.
I have posted elsewhere today that yesterday someone referred to me as my friend's mother.
My friend is 79 in April!!

Esspee Fri 28-Feb-20 15:12:29

I am often assumed to be my friend's mother. She is only a few years older. I reckon it is a combination of the way you carry yourself, and your attitude to life.
(and she wears make up which ages her even more)

FlexibleFriend Fri 28-Feb-20 15:58:47

Some people really seem to neglect themselves. Think I'll carry on as I am, I look after myself without spending much and I'm so worth it.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:02:36

I really don't care how young (or old) I look any more. There are far more interesting things in life - and I'm sure that nobody else cares much either!

oldgimmer1 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:50:57

I enjoyed it.

I also wonder what effort these two will make once the cameras have stopped.

I assume the teeth were paid for by the programme?

BlueSky Fri 28-Feb-20 17:26:39

I think most of us don't look our best first thing in the morning as those ladies seem to have been, look at all the famous faces, even young, seen without make up! Then if you add age, teeth that needed seeing to, hair that needed a good cut and colour, face deathly pale etc etc you've got it! And how often would they bother, for a special event perhaps? But yes the final result was amazing!

blondenana Fri 28-Feb-20 17:50:24

I love watching 10 years younger,it didn't use to add in 10 days though
I am sure those ladies might have a bit if incentive to look after themselves more now

M0nica Fri 28-Feb-20 19:26:55

Why are we so obsessed by looking younger? What is wrong with simply looking good and feeling the best you can, regardless of of your age?

How can older people work to oppose ageism when they continue to buy into the idea that age is something to be ashamed of, and looking younger than your age is something to seek and be proud of?

Age is something that no-one can change and I see no reason to be ashamed of myself just because I am old.

CanadianGran Fri 28-Feb-20 19:44:55

The series isn't available here, but i did 'google' it. The make-overs are indeed very glamorous, perhaps over the top. But still there can be a lesson in taking care of your appearance in smaller ways. We can't all afford or want to afford botox and dental veneers etc., but we can try to keep current with our hair and wardrobe.

I know one person who has very bad teeth when I know there is coverage for that through her work benefits; I really wish she would take advantage, it would make the world of difference.

FlexibleFriend Fri 28-Feb-20 22:12:19

It's not a case of being ashamed of looking your age but a case of looking considerably older than they actually are. After the makeover they were judged to look sightly younger than their actual age whereas previously they were judged to be a good ten years older.

Happygirl79 Fri 28-Feb-20 22:44:31

Is there a new series?
I watched it years ago.
Some women with good bone structure didn't need expensive help
Just a good hairstylist and colour and attention to teeth and outfit
Others looked ok but had extensive work
Interesting but always wondered what they would look like in say a years time

MollyPolly60 Sat 29-Feb-20 00:47:23

I really need help and would love to be on this. I try my best but I never seem to look any better!

absent Sat 29-Feb-20 05:37:31

Surely someone who is 50, 60, 70 or 80 looks like someone who is 50, 60, 70 or 80 because she/he is 50, 60, 70 or 80. We didn't all look the same as school-age children or teenagers, even when we were the same age. I am often told that I look at least ten years younger than I am – I suspect it is frequently blatant flattery – but I don't really regard it as a compliment. I am 69 (for another couple of months) and I am how one person of 69 looks.

I think the experience and wisdom that comes with age is far more important than mere appearance, but having said that, I like pretty underwear – not that anyone else sees that – and elegant clothes. However, how I dress, use make-up and have my hair cut are my business not that of anyone else.

M0nica Sat 29-Feb-20 08:35:01

Absent, I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't seen the programme but a year or two back a newspaper did something similar.

They took an overweight frumpy 55 year old woman and over 3 months she lost 2 stone, then her hair was coloured and styled, expensive make-up and clothes chosen by a stylist. She claimed people thought she was only 45, but, as far as I was concerned, frumpy or smart, she still looked 55.

Firecracker123 Sat 29-Feb-20 08:37:30

I enjoyed the programme but the farmers wife surely instead of dressing her up like a film star they could have given her ordinary day clothes she could wear again, where is she going to wear the evening dress again lol. I expect with new hair colour and cut and professional makeup we would all look better. If you like makeovers have a look on YouTube at The Makeoverguy.

Houndi Sat 29-Feb-20 09:34:03

I am just lucky i think i owe it to my mum she never looked her Age
I am 60 this year but everyone thinks i am in my 40's..Never wear much make up and face cream from Aldi

Gwiz5 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:34:49

Isn’t it lovely though how much better and confident she must feel within herself. Everyone is different and has different outlooks on what’s important. I wear makeup and have my hair done for me and enjoy feeling good. I’m short curvy and me!

00mam00 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:35:10

I watched the prog’ thinking there might be hints and tips but of course it was all about money. They said the treatments given would be cheaper than cosmetic surgery, but as most needed to be redone every 6 or 12 months the cost would soon add up and will those ladies have the time and money to keep it up?

It’s not that I want to look younger, people already say I look younger than my 73 years, I just like to look as good as I can with what I’ve got. Anyway in the small market town where I live, people would stare if I went out glammed up like those two.

inishowen Sat 29-Feb-20 09:38:14

I would consider new teeth. I lost a crown recently and the gap shows when I smile. My attractive female dentist said "you'll have to live with the gap". I wonder what she would do if she had a gap. I feel like at 67 I've been written off.

Mully Sat 29-Feb-20 09:43:24

I agree! Mocking older people seems to be the last taboo, frequently broken. It's absolutely fine to say "silly old woman" or "God, just like an old woman!" meaning something stupid or unsightly. The PC police happily let these go by whilst creating uproar in defence of minority groups. I don't want to offend anyone but the same courtesy does not extend to us. Silly old bat