Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen for kind and caring folk

(1000 Posts)
soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:27:54

Here we are again...happy as can be...all good friens and jolly good company. wine cupcake flowers sunshine and (hugs) a plenty.

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Mar-20 14:30:56

Oh no I missed the closing ! Now I’ll have to search back to find it lol

I am fully recovered now after a nasty tummy bug so hope all in the kitchen are equally well ....I’ll just go and find out xx

soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:33:14

I was totally unprepared for the opening our new kitchen. It wasn't until I responded to morethans post that I realised we were all about to move into a newer, cosier, more friendly kitchen than ever. Thank you all for your friendship. It means a lot to me.

Welcome to Sark. Bathsheba and Silverlinings. The more, the merrier.

soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:34:52

N&G Was it the dreaded norovirus? The care home had a small outbreak earlier in the year.
We are all happy to have you back where you belong.

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Mar-20 14:36:15

Just caught up so popped back to send Morethan all our love and a huge hug xxx life is a bitch isn’t it !! I can’t even begin to comprehend how hard things are and how awful everything is and am amazed at your strength. Your lovely DiL appreciates it greatly I am sure .

You should be able to get audio books from your library or you could take a subscription ( I think it’s available monthly) at www.audible.co.uk

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Mar-20 14:37:03

No sadly soop I think it was the stew - hence forth to be known as stewavirus ???

Pittcity Fri 06-Mar-20 14:39:09

I second Soop's post seconding Galen's post for Morethan in the last kitchen.

Still can't get the Pompeii picture out of my head...made worse by the fact that I misread and thought Morethan was comparing it to her DH's "ancient plumbing" blush

cornergran Fri 06-Mar-20 14:39:45

Found you smile.

Pleased you’re better n&g.

Sunny day so far here, makes a change that’s for sure.

TOYA.

soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:43:35

N&G shock

Talking of loo rolls...MacSporran has a "thing" about stocking up with mult-packs. Most residing in the lof! Today, en route to the care home, he popped into the Co-op for bananas for the pal whom we visit. He came out with...bananas and loo rolls. After the visit, we did the weekly Tesco shop. He bought an enormous multi pack of exactly the same thing. He pretended not to look at me as he stuffed it into the trolley. I started laughing...he started laughing...others nearby started laughing...

soop Fri 06-Mar-20 14:46:09

Pittcity That Pompeii image has much to answer for. I cannot erase it from my mind's eye. At first, I thought that the gentleman depicted was holding an oar. I've led a sheltered life. wink

Baggs Fri 06-Mar-20 15:47:43

My lovely work mates have sent me a get well card and a lunch voucher for MrB and me to use at that cafe where you and MacS met me a while back on your way back from, let me guess, a Glasgow hospital? Something like that ?
Anyway, I'm very touched. It is, indeed, a lovely team to be part of, even though my part is comparatively small.

morethan, I hope your DiL accepts her oncologist's advice and that her poor distraught mother backs off. Such a hard time for everyone. flowers

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 16:06:37

I have just discovered that Bon Marche has been taken over by a family run business called EWM. I cannot say I have heard of them. I am assuming it is a company based in the north of England because they have very few stores in London.

I cannot believe the sun has shone here all day although it has been very cold. The weekend will be back to normal, wet and windy, joy of joys.
TOYA

Pittcity Fri 06-Mar-20 16:31:34

It's Edinburgh Woollen Mill charleygirl. There's one here in Colchester.

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-20 16:57:40

Here you are!!

Just checking - I'll be back later so behave!

aggie Fri 06-Mar-20 17:01:01

I am a big fan of EWM

Carillion01 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:12:21

Good afternoon dear soop. Thank goodness for this lovely kitchen. Sending love to all kitcheners.
Have been absent more than I've wanted recently but have been TOYA.
Dragonfly, hope the two recent treatments are complete xxx
lins, wishing the conjunctivitis is behind you one.
Doodle...xxxx
NannyandGrampy so glad you're feeling better.
Have been trying to catch up...and send much love to you lovely kitcheners.
morethan, xxxxx
All well here. X

annsixty Fri 06-Mar-20 17:13:18

EWM have been around for a very long time Charley
They are very popular with a certain age group!!

soop Fri 06-Mar-20 17:17:34

kitty Behave! As if...grin

It has been a lovely day. Sun continues to shine. Birds continue to chirp. MacSporran continues to add Andrex rolls to the hidey-hole in the loft.

That's very sweet of your work mates, Baggs We must meet again before too long. I've my annual check-up with the Oncologist at the end of this month. I believe that it will be in Balloch. Awaiting confirmation. We shall see.

Good evening to you all. I fully intend returning tomorrow. smile moon

silverlining48 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:38:07

Thank you for the welcome Soop. I am pleased to meet you all but have to confess though i enjoy a cake - especially a carrot cake ( rather too much probably) I cant bake...i know I know, so anything i may bring along will have to be shop bought....i do a good g and t though!
I was rather keen to go out today as have been stuck indoors being poorly for the last week but think i am now on the mend.
Anyway i was in Asda looking for paracetomol but only empty shelves. There wasnt a lot of bread either then noticed a passing trolley, ah, thats where the bread has gone. Who would actually have room in their freezer for 20 loaves ? Not me that's fir sure. Well one elderly lady seemed happy. Golly.! Madness.
Anyway was delighted to get out for fresh - ish air, a lovely sunny day. For a change.

Susan56 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:46:22

I only went out to do the school run and have come home to a new kitchen?
Well being determined not to stockpile loo rolls we have ended up with rather a lot.I bought some yesterday,left them in the boot of the car.DH went shopping this morning and bought some more.DD messaged,I have bought you some loo rolls mum as apparently there is going to be a shortage ?oh well,hopefully won’t need any for a while!
Glad you are feeling better NanaandGrampy.
TOYA

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:02:53

Thanks Pittcity this pea brain could not work it out.

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:10:26

Oh good, a new kitchensmile.

The reference to plumbing made me chuckle too Pittcity but being a newbie I didn't want to shock everyone by saying soblush.

So pleased you're feeling better NannandGrampy I suppose stews will be off the menu for a while. From what I can gather it's cake we get here so nothing to worry about.

I'd hear EWM were taking over Bon Marche Charleygirl which explains why the closing down signs have been taken down in our store. We also have an EWM store so I wonder if they'll both stay openhmm.

Mr. S. is improving by the day, even washed up the breakfast things while I was at the gym so looks as if I wont be needing to make use of the hospital facilities here.

g and t works for me Silverlining, I'm into pink gin at the moment but I'm easily pleased so any gin will do.

Gosh I hope there wont be any loo roll shortages, we seem to get through an awful lot and there's only the two of us! You seem to have plenty Susan so I may come knocking on your doorgrin.

Better get on with preparing our evening meal; goodness that sounds a lot posher than it really is.

TOYA first time I've used that; loving this thread. SO pleased I found the kitchensmile.

Greyduster Fri 06-Mar-20 18:36:58

Hello the new kitchen! I had no idea we were that close to closing the last kitchen!

We have EWM quite near us, and I bought their fine lambswool crew neck sweaters for years, which washed like a dream and were a joy to wear. Then they changed the brand and after a few washes they were virtually unwearable. They lost a customer and I mourn the loss of my garment of first resort! Surprised to hear they have absorbed Bon Marche.

We had a walk today in the nearest thing to a warm Spring day we have had. The ground is drying up nicely and it was a pleasure to be out. Let’s hope it lasts!

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:48:01

Greyduster please do not get too excited- I heard today that wind and rain were expected this weekend. It was 1C here this am but thankfully not for long but I have still had the heating on all day.

Purplepixie Fri 06-Mar-20 18:52:25

Hi all, I'm fairly new here and I'd love to sit in your warm kitchen and have a natter. X

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion