Gransnet forums

Chat

Coronavirus and swimming

(47 Posts)
Nanabanana1 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:43:07

Should we continue to go swimming in public swimming baths can Coronavirus be spread through warm water and on the damp floors etc?

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-20 09:47:35

Honestly, I'm thinking that too Nanabanana, I belong to a gym with indoor and outdoor pools, but quite honestly, at the moment I just don't feel it's something I should be doing.

jura2 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:50:51

Would be interested in the science though.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 10:30:08

Too many surfaces that would NOT be disinfected, apart from whether the virus would survive in the water. I wouildn't go myself.

Calendargirl Mon 09-Mar-20 10:32:25

Well, I’m off to Aquacise later this morning. The classes are still busy, so I guess it’s not a concern for most, whether that will alter as time goes on remains to be seen.
Many of the participants are in their 60’s and 70’s, I would imagine.

GagaJo Mon 09-Mar-20 10:32:25

I'm not swimming at the moment. Counter intuitive.

luluaugust Mon 09-Mar-20 10:36:51

I'm having hydrotherapy at present but as it is in a hospital unit and is doing me good I am crossing my fingers and hoping. I heard somebody on the tele discussing swimming generally and they said that with the chlorine and so much water the virus would be diluted - they thought!

Granny23 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:06:10

Funny this thread should appear this morning. when I was swithering whether to go swimming or not. I am trying to go at least once a week as it is good for my recovering broken arm. Decided to give it a bye until the situation is clearer and set to work in the sunny garden instead. Guess what? that's the rain on Again

anniezzz09 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:24:12

I wouldn't swim at the moment. I've read too many reports of all sorts of bacteria in the water despite the chlorine. I used to get lots of colds when I swam regularly and I used to wonder if it was all the school children using the pool. Children of course getting more colds than adults.

JenniferEccles Mon 09-Mar-20 11:28:47

It’s very difficult to get the balancing act right, between getting on with our lives, yet trying, up to a point to minimise our risk of contracting the virus.

At the moment though I am going about my daily life as normal as I am sure most of us are.

Would I go swimming? Yes!

Greyduster Mon 09-Mar-20 11:44:29

I am not allowed to swim yet, but I miss it. We are supposed to be going to Center Parcs soon and the main attraction there is on the swimming facility. DD has grave misgivings about it at the moment and is leaning towards not going. The advice on their website seems to be a bit nebulous!

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 11:47:37

The Govt are discussing the next stage at the Cobra meeting this morn. I think a lot of places are waiting to see whether they will have to close.

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Mar-20 17:47:27

You may find the download interesting here:
www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/environmentalhealthguidance/
It's from Ireland but quotes all the sources.
I feel pretty confident about a swim at my club pool after reading this.

Flowerette Mon 09-Mar-20 20:33:38

Yeah I’m still zumba-ing and it’s still busy atm
I’m not going to stop living until we are advised we need to isolate

Farmor15 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:41:07

I had a look at that link and it gives excellent information- not just about swimming pools but explains how easy it is to kill this virus with chlorine, which is in lots of household disinfectants.

Tangerine Mon 09-Mar-20 20:45:20

I have not read anything official saying that swimming is dangerous at the moment so I am carrying on as normal.

If I had underlying health conditions, I might think differently.

RedRidingHood Mon 09-Mar-20 21:48:22

DH normally swims daily but has stopped for the foreseeable future.

Witzend Tue 10-Mar-20 09:09:14

Must say I wouldn’t think of going now, not in an indoor pool anyway. All that warm, damp air, full of other people’s breathings...

MollyG Tue 10-Mar-20 11:26:27

My local swimming pool has closed due to the virus (I live in France)

Minerva Tue 10-Mar-20 11:37:30

I read that swimming is fine and I would be happy to swim at 6.30am when the changing rooms are not full of people as they are when a class finishes at 9 am and from then on. Trouble is I don’t sleep well and getting up at 5.45am to race to the gym would be difficult at my age. When I was working I went every morning at 6.30 before work and 7 at the weekends. 12 years on I just can’t do it.

wallers5 Tue 10-Mar-20 11:41:24

Difficult. I just love the new Aqua gym classes. When I get home I have a hot shower & wash my hair! Well over 70, more dangerous for us, but will stop if it gets to the school.

Mollygo Tue 10-Mar-20 11:55:44

Thought about this as I stood ready to dive in this morning, but decided to go ahead. Then I worried about my DH and his asthma. I rushed home pushed what I was wearing into the washing machine and showered. I said I wouldn’t go again, but DH thinks I’m silly.

Teacheranne Tue 10-Mar-20 11:58:12

I have a feeling that by next week the whole country will be on lockdown like Italy - I'm worried about that and hope that I'm wrong. I'm not sure how we will be able to care for mum (87 years old with Alzheimer's but still living alone with daily visits from family) with similar travel restrictions.

Could be very interesting!

Hetty58 Tue 10-Mar-20 12:06:13

The level of surface cleaning at our local pool is quite appalling. Dirt is all too visible on doors, handrails, taps etc. so no, not an option at the moment!

Stella14 Tue 10-Mar-20 12:38:15

It wouldn’t have occurred to me that swimming might be a risk until the question was asked of a Scientist yesterday. He said “we don’t know yet” (shock)!