Gransnet forums

Chat

Half empty /Half full type of person

(44 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Mar-20 13:59:27

Which are you Gransnetters, I’m more of a half full,

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-20 14:01:19

Hi TrendyNannie6 . I am so half empty its as though there was never anything in the glass to start with !

timetogo2016 Wed 11-Mar-20 14:02:50

I`m more half full.
Dh is so half empty.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Mar-20 14:07:03

I’m sending you a hug Gillybob

Scribbles Wed 11-Mar-20 14:11:56

I'm very much a half-empty type and I wish I wasn't.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Mar-20 14:12:38

I am definitely a "half-full" person., (Except when a G & T top-up is in the offing....)

NfkDumpling Wed 11-Mar-20 14:13:41

I’m a half full person and DH is definitely half empty verging on broken and spilt.

Gilly, it must be very, very difficult for your glass to have much in it at all as things are, but I think you must be a half full person at heart or you wouldn’t have coped. I haven’t kept up with things lately. How’s your tooth?

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-20 14:19:44

It's driving me nuts NfkDumpling . I am so tempted to just have it taken out regardless of what the dentist says . My jaw is aching, my nose hurts, my sinus's are painful and I cant lie on my right side or my nose blocks up. I've got a burning feeling all over my mouth and I am sure it is all connected to my tooth. Dentist says I could have the tooth out (its my very front one) and the symptoms might be exactly the same. I am convinced the last dentist did something drastic.

ENT appointment not until 29th April but I'm not even convinced its an ENT person I need to see.

Squiffy Wed 11-Mar-20 15:02:25

Gilly that sounds unbearable. The last thing you need on top of everything else sad You’re made of strong stuff, so there must be more in your glass than you think! ??

M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 15:25:59

I am not so much half full, as brimming over type of person. I know other people find it irritating but If I wasn't I would probably be so overwhelmed by depression and misery I would never get out of bed.

My general rule is that it is not what life throws at you that matters but how you deal with it. Obviously some troubles and difficulties are truly overwhelming, but for everyday life, brimming over for me.

BlueSapphire Wed 11-Mar-20 16:01:57

Ooh, I think I'm a half empty. I always think the worst is about to happen, and worrying about this virus is not making me feel any better.

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Mar-20 16:08:48

I'm a "plan for the worst, hope for the best" person.
I think I'm a "glass is half way" one.

EllanVannin Wed 11-Mar-20 16:26:17

With what's gone on over the years it has to be half-empty so that I'm always prepared for the worst. Imagine being a " glass half-full " person where your hopes are constantly dashed, it doesn't make sense does it ? No use pretending.

Fennel Wed 11-Mar-20 16:27:44

It depends on the time of day, or night.
Overall I think I'm a half-full. But I don't sleep well, and if I'm awake at 2-4 am, as I often am, it's all anxiety, doom and gloom.

Madgran77 Wed 11-Mar-20 16:37:17

I'm probably 3/4 full most of the time. DH on the other hand is always half empty so we tend to balance each other out!??

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-20 16:55:30

I’m a plan for the worst and you’ll probably be right kind of person . grin

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-20 16:57:13

I’m the sort of person no one would knowingly book a holiday, concert, table in a restaurant at the same time as me . My plans always go pear shaped .

eazybee Wed 11-Mar-20 17:08:32

gillybob, I would say you are the sort of person whose glass is overflowing; but because you share it with too many other people there is not always enough left for you.

Happygirl79 Wed 11-Mar-20 17:19:48

Definitely half to three quarters full
Whats the point of being less?

kittylester Wed 11-Mar-20 17:37:43

My mother said I was always to bloody pollyanna so I'm with monica. Its not a choice at all.

I am aware that people find it irritating!

gilly, I also think that you are a really positive person or you would have gone under by now. flowers

FlexibleFriend Wed 11-Mar-20 17:52:02

I'm a full to the brim kind of person, like M0nica I should be depressed but that's not who I am and it's not about what life throws at you but how you deal with it that counts. Mostly troubles are just like water off a ducks back.

CanadianGran Wed 11-Mar-20 18:14:09

I would be a 3/4 full person! When I compare childhood memories with my siblings, it seems we came from different families. They remember all the bad stuff, I remember the good!

I think my kids get a bit fed up me when they call to moan about something and I say... 'Well, third world problems! You don't have to walk a mile to the well to get water for your dinner! Put it into perspective!" Late because you were stuck in traffic? - 'but you have your own car, and a job to go to! how lucky you are!' Etc.

M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 18:59:38

Eillen* the point of being half full or brimming is that you look all troubles in the eye, plan for them, then with the plans ready for use you whizz on enjoying life but knowing that everything goes bad, you have a plan. or are confident that you can find one. An optimistic nature has got me through a lot of difficult times, including at the moment.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Mar-20 19:12:36

We are both 'brimming over' people.
Once, in the work place I was asked ( in all seriousness) if I was on drugs.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 19:50:55

Definitely half full.
Although I tend to be Calamity Jane too.

gillybob I too think you must be a glass half full person at heart for the way you cope with everything thrown at you with such good humour.
I presume you must have had your sinuses checked? I struggled for ages with a terrible toothache until it was found to be infected sinuses.
If not, I would have it taken out!

DH once said it was no good being always optimistic because you are constantly disappointed but I don't see it like that.
Stay optimistic but be prepared to cope with adversity.