Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you gift self isolators?

(91 Posts)
Ohmother Thu 12-Mar-20 08:37:27

If someone without the virus but ‘Just in case’ had decided to self isolate for 14 days what would you gift them to keep their spirits up? To be left on their doorstep!

ninathenana Thu 12-Mar-20 08:40:38

Book, DVD, a box of fresh fruit and veg. and plenty of cake !

Sparklefizz Thu 12-Mar-20 08:40:53

Some DVDs if they have the means to play them. Or books if they are people who like to read.

travelsafar Thu 12-Mar-20 08:43:00

A lovely homebaked cake, a bunch of flowers, the daily newspaper , maybe a puzzle book, and a note saying 'Thank You' for doing this to prevent others catching the virus. smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-Mar-20 09:01:59

If it were me stuck in there I’d like books, jigsaws, snacks, wine and bath stuff, please. And my grandsons to come and talk to me through the front window. smile

Alexa Thu 12-Mar-20 09:08:21

Ohmother what a nice idea

MawB Thu 12-Mar-20 09:21:43

The new Hilary Mantel, it will take about a month to read.

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 09:23:42

I have a friend who is doing just that.
Sadly she is over a 100 miles away so there is not much I can do.
I’m posting a couple of books today and we have a daily chat.

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-Mar-20 09:29:14

To be honest I have enough of everything to keep me going for much longer than a week. Not through any panic buying, just because we’re always well stocked. Is it not normal then to have picked up at least a dozen books from charity shops that you’ll get round to eventually? blush

A bunch of flowers might be nice.

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 09:55:25

Fresh fruit and veg, yes! Flowers would be great. They're such an inessential.

Something entertaining, based on the person. For me, something I could sew or knit. Or a crafty thing to do.

For others it might be baking ingredients.

My bloke would love a KIT. A very complex one that would take hours.

So dependent on the individual.

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 09:56:28

Oh yes, Missfoodlove! The Book Depository is a great website for books. They deliver free anywhere in the world (not so special in the UK I know, because we have access to loads, but for overseas people...)

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 12-Mar-20 09:56:59

Maggiemay totally normal! Plus the well stocked cupboards, my DDs think it’s old fashioned to have a store cupboard.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Mar-20 10:02:30

I would appreciate: like you GagaJo, wool and pattern.
Puzzle books, chocolates, a boxed set, a daily phone call.
I might self isolate if some of these things are coming my way.

annodomini Thu 12-Mar-20 10:06:08

My good friend who is at very high risk is self-isolating and has pretty much everything she needs. She's a jigsaw addict, so it was fortunate that I had bought one for her birthday and gave it to her yesterday.
As for me - fruit would be a good choice. I might try a vegan régime while I'm out of circulation.

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 10:09:11

Hahahaha, Grammaretto! Good point. To top it all, a netflix subscription along with all the other bits and some good books and I'll lock myself away for a couple of months.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Mar-20 10:17:26

What happens after 14 days though Ohmother? does she take the cross off her door? There may be even more reason to stay clear of crowds etc by then, what with Trump closing America to Europe.....

Whatever happens with the virus (and I'm not saying it is unimportant) but the behaviours being shown by the human race are fascinating shocking

Nonnie Thu 12-Mar-20 10:18:35

WhatsApp and keep in touch. Pop over with something you know they like ever few days so they feel valued.

Esspee Thu 12-Mar-20 10:23:20

Given that alcohol is known to kill the virus I would suggest a nice bottle of her favourite tipple. ?

Margs Thu 12-Mar-20 10:35:01

A DVD of the zombie horror flick "28 Days After"......

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:38:04

Yes Esspee a bottle or two of spirits.& a good book.grin

polnan Thu 12-Mar-20 10:44:44

As I am presently isolated at home with some gastric stuff, I would just love emails,,, flowers very cheering. plant pots better they last longer..

bits of shopping, my TV TIMES

no one has asked me if they can get me anything!!! boo! hoo!

Notright Thu 12-Mar-20 10:46:49

Nothing. If it's by choice then she would have got in her own supplies, if you are such a snowflake you shut yourself away 'in case' you'd never come out again. The world is a dangerous place. Sorry but we didn't all escape to the country during the war 'in case' we got bombed out. What's happening to everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:47:04

GrandpaGravy!!!

BusterTank Thu 12-Mar-20 10:48:48

A good book and a box of chocolates .

cookiemonster66 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:50:40

netflix subscription