Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you treated with as a poorly child at home?

(228 Posts)
chicken Thu 12-Mar-20 15:33:33

When I wasn't well as a young child, many, many moons ago, my mother's first treatment for me was Langdale's Essence of Cinnamon in hot milk, followed by a bowl of bread and milk---crustless white bread, well buttered, cut in little cubes, boiling milk poured over it and liberally sprinkled with demerara sugar. I still like it today.

Namsnanny Thu 12-Mar-20 15:36:09

TCP, sit there till you feel better.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 12-Mar-20 15:40:10

Milk of magnesium, ye gods, medicine of the devil☹️

Grandmaclampet Thu 12-Mar-20 15:43:37

I was brought up in Lancashire. Anything and everything was treated with Indian Brandy. This has never been anywhere near brandy it was herbal concoction I think.

kircubbin2000 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:50:34

Some type of emulsion, can't remember the name. Mother also made up a tonic containing raw egg, sherry and fresh orange. We also had a large
spoonful of malt which can still be got in Boots.

rubysong Thu 12-Mar-20 15:51:46

Lucozade was a treat for sick days. There were hot poultices for boils, infected splinters etc. My mother made one which was the colour of piccalilli, I don't know what it was. Milk of magnesia was the 'cure all' for stomach upsets and I was given Scott's Emulsion for constipation.

threexnanny Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:38

Chicken or turkey soup ( home-made) for colds.
Cold flannel if feverish.
Hot water bottle for all types of pain or chill.
Iodine for cuts
A 'good rub' for bumps
Advice to 'be more careful' for a fall
Cod liver oil tablets and rosehip syrup taken as routine in winter.
'We don't need to bother the doctor' for almost everything!

kircubbin2000 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:56

Also lots of Andrews liver salt and de witts antacids which I loved. I was a very sickly child.

Guineagirl Thu 12-Mar-20 15:54:19

I used to get a lot of Styes and remember Golden Eye Ointment it was stopped from selling in the end. Awful ear drops as well.

Guineagirl Thu 12-Mar-20 15:55:34

Contained mercury oh dear

Lucylastic Thu 12-Mar-20 16:06:43

Syrup of Figs for internal complaints, Germolene for external. Both highly efficacious.

AGAA4 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:17:31

Whatever ailment we had was always treated with a large bottle of red medicine. It tasted so awful that we seemed to recover very quickly!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:18:34

I was asthmatic and had eczema from an early age, my mother insisted I drank milk and had plenty of milk puddings (which I hated). She also decided my sister and myself should knit our own cardigans with pure wool - it was agony for me. I later discovered I was allergic to wool and dairy. I loved swimming and tennis, but couldn't often go because the water stung my skin, and often didn't have the breath for tennis. DM would bring a bed downstairs for me to sleep in the living room, or put me into her all feather bed (also allergic to feathers).

DoraMarr Thu 12-Mar-20 16:18:46

Lucozade and grapes. I was a very sickly child ( you wouldn’t know it to look at me now) and I had gallons of penicillin. Other than that, I was put to bed with a bowl and left pretty much alone. When we all grew up ( I was the eldest of six) my mother trained as a nurse, and was a very good one!

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:21:56

Syrup of Figs, cod liver oil and malt daily.
Andrew's Liver Salts and Milk of Magnesia if we had stomach upsets.

If we had a cold or flu then Beecham's Powders and, if the doctor had to be called, I had to get out of bed, sat on a bedroom chair with a blanket round me whilst Mum changed the sheets before he came.
I remember him coming with some 'magic tablets when I had tonsillitis. They were M&B tablets.

Bread and milk when on the road to recovery.

chicken Thu 12-Mar-20 16:26:04

I remember the Golden eye ointment and the malt (with cod liver oil ---yuk ). Did any of you get a dose of the liquid from soaked senna pods for " a good clear out" once a week?

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 16:27:41

I was treated with contempt and Lucozade!

The Lucozade was like champagne for the infirm, the lovely dimpled bottle wrapped in crinkly orange cellophane, what a treat.
It was acknowledgement I was ill however I was always reminded it was EXPENSIVE!!!

chicken Thu 12-Mar-20 16:31:47

Yes, I remember the M&B ---huge tablets. I was given them for 'flu before the advent of antibiotics. My uncle brought me a copy of "Anne of Green Gables" which cured me faster than the pills.

Daddima Thu 12-Mar-20 16:32:27

I was allowed to sleep in my parents’ bed during the day, and the big mirror was taken from the dressing table and propped up between the bedroom and living room so I could watch television ( One O’ Clock Gang and children’s programmes in daytime!)
Lucozade to drink, and Heinz Tomato Soup and Ambrosia Creamed Rice to eat.

May7 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:34:37

Kaolin and morphine liquid for an upset stomach. I loved the taste and tussis nig mixture. I think that's how it was spelt? For a cough. Tasted of liquorice. The chemist made it up. Loved that too

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Mar-20 16:35:33

I used to have Heinz tomato soup too!

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:36:24

Owbridge's for a cough.

Lilypops Thu 12-Mar-20 16:36:57

Milk of magnesia for bilious attacks never hear that now! Syrup of figs for tummy aches, Lucozade and always a packet of plasticine or fuzzy felt ,

EllanVannin Thu 12-Mar-20 16:39:55

Fennings Fever Cure. Syrup of Figs. EE Powders.

Strained liquid from chicken soup. Lemon and Barley.

Rennet. Egg Custard. Parishes Food. Virol. Malt and Cod Liver Oil.
Emulsion, either Scott's or Angier's.

elfies Thu 12-Mar-20 16:41:57

In Yorkshire we had the bread crusts , hot milk and sugar locally known as Pobs or Pobbies . Occasionally Cinder tea ,if it was thought you were laying it on thick . That was a hot cinder dropped into a cup of water , and disgusting . you said you were better the following day , even if you weren't .