Gransnet forums

Chat

Chat

(65 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Mar-20 08:52:38

Let’s hear it for cats!

TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Mar-20 09:00:22

Just thought I’d start something light hearted! I’m drinking tea in bed with my lovely cat lying full length beside me. I’ve put her breakfast out but Madam doesn’t usually stir just yet. She is so affectionate , leaps on my lap the minute I sit down and mews frantically when she wants me to do that.

She is a rescue cat and was so scared when she came to me , she would look over her shoulder when she ate in case I took her food away from her . She now realises that I spoil her so much that’s not going to happen. I live on my own so I am definitely “her human” . She is gradually trusting my family but still prefers it when it’s just me and her. I’ve only had her 8 months and am surprised how much she’s captured my heart , not had the opportunity to have a cat before although I love them. Ex OH said he was allergic but just controlling really, but that’s another story!

So what are your cats like all you cat lovers and how did you choose them?

TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Mar-20 09:02:22

Don’t know what happened I did put a title to it

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 09:27:03

My daft boy is currently lying happily with his head in a box. He can't fit all of himself in!
He's a big Maine Coon. A real gentle giant and very cuddly. He's too big for my knee but snuggles up as close as possible on the sofa next to me.

Kalu Sat 14-Mar-20 09:51:14

Our 7yr old has replaced any need for an alarm clock as, if we are not awake by 7am she wants us to waken and acknowledge her! Once she sees we are awake, she goes off, a quick inspection of the garden then back upstairs to curl up at the bottom of our bed.

She is a rescue cat and was extremely nervous when we got her at 18 months, already having had a litter. Took a long time to gain her trust, lots of TLC and reassurance she was safe. She now thinks she is head of the family.

I did a double take one day when I saw a Maine Coon strolling into our garden. Beautiful cat who now visits regularly for a visit with ours.

Septimia Sat 14-Mar-20 09:52:42

My cat gets up for breakfast with DH and then comes back to bed. This morning he lay on the foot of the bed miaowing at me because I wasn't making a fuss of him. When I did, he purred like a train; when I stopped he did his usual trick of pawing at my arm to remind me to keep stroking!

We didn't choose him, he came to us because he couldn't stay where he was, although we did choose his brother (who disappeared). He's had various health issues but is the softest, gentlest cat we've had.

Our other cat isn't ours, either. She just moved in. Maybe it's an indication that this is a good place for cats - all the neighbhourhood cats used to come to visit, too, until we got a catflap that works on the microchips.

annsixty Sat 14-Mar-20 09:57:18

My 18month old Molly is my pride and joy.
She was a present when she was 12 weeks old, I was horrified, I love cats but didn’t want the responsibility of one.
How I could ever have thought that I can’t imagine now.
She is affectionate, constantly by my side, I can’t imagine life without her.

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 10:16:24

Our cat has to wake us up too. Once he's seen we're up and about he goes away for a snooze! It's very annoying.

Megs36 Sat 14-Mar-20 10:21:34

What is it with mogs,our boy wakes us at 5.30 for brekkie, by ‘scratching the carpet’, non cat people look away now ?. may need new carpet! Eats a little and off to bed again. He’s 5 and after a lifetime of cats and sometimes dogs we’d said no more animals but you know how it is; a bit concerned,no more than a bit, he’ll outlive us, we’re 83, but who knows!

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 11:40:15

Our ACs are as fond of cats as we are and I know they'd always look after our puss.

annsixty Sat 14-Mar-20 11:51:14

I made that arrangement for Molly when I got her.
My D has 3 cats and would have her but I prefer my GD to take her over as she lives with me now and M is as attached to her as she is to me.

SalsaQueen Sat 14-Mar-20 12:51:54

I've had cats for about 40 years, and have only got the one now - Mr Cooper. He was feral until I caught him (humanely) and took him to the vet for treatment of an infected leg, fleas, worms and various scratches on his face. I had him neutered and microchipped, slept downstairs with him for 4 nights - he was terrified of every noise (TV, washing machine, telephone, etc). He's the most gentle, affectionate cat I've ever had.

Oldwoman70 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:01:17

We were once owned by a cat!

We lived in a rural area and he was feral. One winter I took pity on him and trudged through ankle deep snow to take food to him in a shed he was living in. I even made him a cosy bed out of a box, straw and towels! At first he stayed away from me whilst I put down the food but then one day he followed me back to the house - and stayed!

He would regularly bring us little "gifts" birds, half eaten rabbit etc. We had no idea how old he was but he was with us for 10 years until he became very ill and the vet said it would be cruel to keep him alive any longer. His ashes were buried under his favourite tree in the garden. That was almost 30 years ago - and I still miss him!

seacliff Sat 14-Mar-20 13:11:03

We foster cats, and also have 6 of our own. We never meant to have that many, but every time a foster kitten/cat is a real problem to rehome - semi feral, or terribly shy etc, we end up keeping them, as we feel sorry for them. That is our maximum now, no more.

All our cats have different characteristics and little ways. They are so entertaining. Scampy is my cat, he does love me. He is long haired and loves to be brushed. He will often sleep on the pillow next to me, and he "doughs" at me when I talk to him. We really communicate.

Dec46 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:17:28

My Cassie is also a Rescue cat and I've had her for 9 months .Like your's ,Twice as Nice, she was frightened to eat when I first brought her home. She growled a lot near her food bowl but calmed down if I stood next to her whilst she ate. She's ok now she knows it really is all for her.
This morning I opened front and back windows in my upstairs bedroom ,chalet bungalow, and she entertained herself by going out the back window and walking on the roof to let herself in the front window.She did this a number of times and then a neighbour,who hadn't seen her before, phoned me to say a black cat was getting in through my window.When I explained it was Cassie she then kept him amused seeing her appearing/disappearing on the roof.
So good neighbours and funny cat,I'm very lucky to have both.

TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Mar-20 13:53:16

Thanks everyone keep the stories coming they are very amusing. At least if I have to self isolate at any point I will have company

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Mar-20 14:20:27

I have two cats, both pedigree, nearly three years old, after a lifetime of feral/rescue cats, none of which were in the least bit affectionate, or would come anywhere near our laps.
DH and I found a breeder for my preferred breed and went to look at the litter. We had originally wanted a boy, specific colouring - came away having reserved two girls, different markings!
The ones I have are bred for their affectionate nature and they certainly live up to it. They like to be in the same room all the time, will follow me to the shower or the loo, and are forever round my ankles. And are lovely lap-warmers!
One blessing is that they don't bother me at night, but if I'm not stirring by about 7am, will come and leap on my chest and try to rub my nose!
They have their routine at bedtime as well; will come and sit by my feet about 10.30pm and wait to be groomed, as they know they get a nice treat afterwards!

lemongrove Sat 14-Mar-20 14:29:35

How about posting photos of all your cats??

SueDonim Sat 14-Mar-20 14:53:20

We have two cats, which is twice as nice, TwiceAsNice! They’re rescue Russian Blue brothers. Their previous ‘staff’ were posted abroad and couldn’t take them. Astonishingly, they’d been at the rescue home for six weeks with absolutely no one interested in taking them. shock

They are massive, 11lbs & 16lbs respectively and I did think it was like having two tigers in the house at first but they’re both as daft as brushes, as silly and soft as you can imagine.

Prior to that, we’d had a rescue kitten, who turned out to have a congenital heart problem. We kept her going for five and half happy years but it broke my heart when she died. I swore no more cats but somehow these two have inveigled their way into our lives.

When we FaceTime with our grandchildren, they don’t want to talk to us, they just want to see the cats! ?

TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Mar-20 15:28:02

I would happily have two but live in a flat with access to a large balcony rather than a garden. Amie is happy to be a house at most of the time and goes up and down the balcony on nice weather. I open both doors either end and she usually goes out the one and in the other . If the other cat liked to be outside a lot I think that would be cruel to make them stay inside a lot of the time

Kalu Sat 14-Mar-20 15:45:05

This is the alarm clock 30 mins. after she made sure we were awake! Can’t even make the bed up completely as a look of do not disturb, from one eye warns me off?

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:54:21

Here's Baz. It's hard to show how big he actually is. He was 12kgs at the vet last time. I can't lift him!

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:59:33

Here's Snowball our Grandcat

Kalu Sat 14-Mar-20 16:00:34

Thank you for the much needed light hearted thread TwiceAsNice?

A friend who also lives in a flat takes her ginger tom out for daily walks on a lead. She has done this since he was a kitten and he just seems to think this is how things are done, enjoying his walk?

Kalu Sat 14-Mar-20 16:11:11

This is our visiting Maine Coon popping in for a hit of cat-nip last summer?