Gransnet forums

Chat

How can you tell when someone is over 70?

(30 Posts)
M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 10:57:31

DH, aged 77, went for a hair cut last week. When he (and the man in the chair next door) reached the till, each was asked whether they were over 65. DH said 'yes', the other guy said 'No, only 62'. DH had assumed from looking at the other man that he was the older.

So how will they know how old we are? Looks are no guide. Will everyone have to carry passports or birth certificates and have to present them at the till. If we are out and are found out, what will they do? Put us in prison? confused

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Mar-20 11:24:47

Poke us back indoors with a cattle prod?

Seriously, it’ll be mostly down to our own honesty, won’t it? I suppose the only person negatively affected by an over 70 sneaking out will be the over 70. It’s an interesting tactic, keeping the most vulnerable away from the risk where possible.

I dare say any obvious over 70, or older looking under 70, going about their normal business when the rule comes in will be looked at askance, or subjected to abuse. I’m just 65, I’ll be very offended if it happens to me.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Mar-20 11:44:04

Ah, but if we wear a face mask is anyone going to know...?

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 11:46:10

I did wonder, M0nica
'Found straying on the highway, put into the Over 70s Rescue Centre. Does anyone wish to claim this woman?'

She protested that she just wanted some fresh air and a change of scene.

GrandmaJan Sun 15-Mar-20 11:46:21

Gabriella sunglasses as well. They hide a multitude of sins in my opinion ?

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 11:47:09

Ah yes, a face mask and dark glasses should do the trick.

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 11:47:22

X post!!

Calendargirl Sun 15-Mar-20 11:48:54

Oh, I assumed the OP was meaning that older people qualified for a cheaper price for their haircut. Not realised it was connected to the virus.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 11:58:35

The older you get, the more divergent people's looks are.

Someone of 70 can be white haired, have a lined face and be stooped and elderly looking - but so can someone of 60 or even younger.

Someone of 70 and older can still retain most of their natural colouring - or colour it. Can have a nearly unlined face and be anything but elderly in gait or style of dress.

So the question is: How will they know whether we are over 70, unless everyone carries, and regularly produces an identification document?

rosenoir Sun 15-Mar-20 12:05:31

Nobody needs to know,if over 70 therefor vulnerable then the advice is stay in. If you want to take the risk then go out.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 12:08:22

I doubt over 70s will be throwing caution to the wind, but I suspect a lot will go out once a week to shop, and possibly to pick up a paper at a local shop.

Mass suicides or hospital admissions with severe mental illness will only make problems worse not better.

Chestnut Sun 15-Mar-20 12:09:44

I can't see why going outside can be deemed a risk for anyone unless you're in a crowded street. If a person got in their car and drove to the local open space for a walk how does that put them at risk and why would anyone care? People with dogs will have to do that anyway.

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 12:15:19

As many people who belong to certain groups, eg U3A, are over 70, can we have our own isolated meetings away from the rest of the population?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 15-Mar-20 12:15:24

We go cycling way out in the country and don't often meet many people, if we do they just whiz pass you. Mr B is still running up and down slag heaps and mountains. His last race they were all given a face mask to run. Think I would need an oxygen tank: So just how will this be policed.

Fennel Sun 15-Mar-20 12:19:06

M0nica
A good point. I had the same thought. About birth certificates etc. 70 is too soon for the cut-off point.
And who's going to do the checking?
I hope this is just advisory.
btw anyone can tell how old I am by the way I 'walk' now. But at least I've still got a brain, thank God, which many of my age don't have.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:19:43

There are no spare people to police it anyway. Mind you, there's talk of army troops guarding supermarkets!

Matelda Sun 15-Mar-20 12:25:56

I haven't been panic buying, but now that I know I'm to be ordered to stay home for four months, I've made a start. As the supermarket is limiting the number of items I'll be going first thing every morning until I'm barred and stocking up with whatever is available. And what about essential workers over 70? I know a lorry driver over 70, and he assured me that some are in their 80s.

Calendargirl Sun 15-Mar-20 12:31:49

On our community Facebook page this morning, someone was sounding off about the elderly, and saying supermarkets should open just for them as they were vulnerable.
Someone queried how to define ‘elderly’ in that scenario, and were told to use common sense.
But yes, what constitutes ‘elderly’?
Over 60, state pension age, over 70, over 80?
Some 80 year olds look younger than a 60 year old.

BlueSky Sun 15-Mar-20 12:32:34

When exactly are you over 70? As soon as you are 71? But if you have a dog you need to take it out, you need shopping, not everybody has family friends or neighbours willing and able! What if you still have parents in their 90's? As others have said unless you have to carry ID nobody would know.

humptydumpty Sun 15-Mar-20 12:49:27

Isn't this in line with the 'herd immunity' policy? The idea being that 70+ means you're more likely to be seriously ill and need hospital attention, so better not to expose yourself to the risk of infection (not because you're going to infect someone else!) - then the virus will affect people less vulnerable and hopefully induce mild illness which will hopefully reach the herd immunity threshold..

DeeDum Sun 15-Mar-20 13:01:53

If I want to go out I will still go ..
I do understand the gov doesn't want the more vulnerable over 70s filling all the hospitals and yes I will choose a walk in the open air especially when the weather is bit nicer .

I'm hand washing, and spraying around handles etc , but have a son working in a local chemist who lives at home his doing his best with hygiene and worrying about bringing it in, and I have a reluctant to hand wash much husband.
Chances are I'm as safe out as at home ?
I will avoid crowded places, but going by last Friday it was heaven and my local shopping centre was virtually empty, armed with hand bac I felt quite safe..

And what about the over 70s with a pet, many have dogs, and both owner and dog will need a walk especially owners without a garden, a dogs still going to need its loo brakes.

Think some basic common sense must play a part in this somewhat.
Stay well everyone xx

giulia Sun 15-Mar-20 13:20:52

Don't worry everyone. Here in Italy, where we are locked in, it is ok to take dog out for its needs. Just don't go too far from home.

nonnasusie Sun 15-Mar-20 13:30:45

We are still walking our 3 dogs every morning and going down the road to look after the other animals at our land! We have not been stopped. The joggers are still going past. Fortunately we are in the countryside.

Witzend Sun 15-Mar-20 14:28:53

Some people don’t have a passport or any other ID anyway, and in the U.K. we’re not obliged by law to carry any.

In our area of SW London it’s perfectly possible and in fact perfectly usual, to go for a good walk without coming into contact with anybody. And until there are police checking everybody, or shooting any likely-looking disobedient oldies on sight, then as long as I’m symptom free I shall continue walking to the local smaller shops for groceries.
And of course washing hands well afterwards!

SunnySusie Sun 15-Mar-20 14:43:27

Its my hunch the over 70s rule is entirely governed by economics. State pension age is now 66, someone will have crunched the numbers and worked out how many people carry on working and to what age (in particular doctors and health workers) then made a decision on who should be isolating. It wouldnt be wise to take too many out of the workforce in key occupations.