Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't believe some people....well sadly I can

(28 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 11:51:38

We live in a council flat and, because DH has back and hip issues, the council are putting a shower in for us. We're overjoyed even though it's a bit of an upheaval for a couple days. Just think about it. We're getting a lovely new electric shower over the bath, extra tiles up to the ceiling where the shower will be and it's costing us nothing. The council is also using the opportunity to upgrade our bathroom and kitchen lights and fit new smoke and heat detectors. We feel really lucky.

We were chatting to the guys as I made cups of tea and they told us that we were really unusual. They spend most of their days fending off complaints from people who aren't happy with the mess (hardly any), the noise (can't be helped), not being able to use the bathroom (well you can but they have to leave it lol) or the tiles, the shower, the lights or anything else they're putting in. Remember this is all free for people like us. We don't have to contribute anything because we're on benefits. I know those who have a higher income have to pay towards it but I bet it's nowhere near as much as if you had to have it done privately. Apparently not long ago they did a job that cost the council £50K and the person complained that they didn't like the wall covering in their new wet room or the noise their specially adapted toilet made when it flushed. I don't think we should be subservient just because we're on benefits or in council property but we should recognise our good fortune when we get something like this and not whinge because it's not exactly what we would have chosen if we'd been paying for it.

Lucca Tue 17-Mar-20 12:04:51

Great post... it then we are whining poms after all!

harrigran Tue 17-Mar-20 12:07:03

A little gratitude would not go amiss with some people, I agree.
When we altered our house to make it ready for old age it cost me £23,000 to change the bathrooms but you do it in the knowledge that it is going to help you
We could never sell the house because the alterations we have made cost double the value of the houses in our area.

Sussexborn Tue 17-Mar-20 12:25:32

Can remember an acquaintance grumbling and complaining in the same way. The fitters had done so many that they were in and out in a few days. Part of the eternally dissatisfied mob!envysad

vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 12:39:42

It shook me because we only moved into council last year. Prior to that we were in a private let and even though our landlord was lovely, I couldn't see him altering the bathroom to make our lives easier.

I can't get over how we're looked after and I am very grateful for it. It's such a weight of my mind knowing that I can ask for a repair and it will be done within a couple of weeks (or even less) without the fear that if I ask for too much my landlord may decide that owning the house is more hassle than it's worth and sell it on to someone less understanding or who wanted a house with no tenant.

bluebirdwsm Tue 17-Mar-20 12:50:11

I know someone who deliberately broke the doors in her kitchen to get a new one from the council. It was a bit dated but perfectly good and clean. I wasn't impressed. She also had new windows and a lovely new front door put in. She also has had central heating installed. And yet she never stopped moaning about the place. I had to walk away in the end.

Meanwhile I kept and updated my wooden front door, paid thousands for replacing windows and had to budget carefully for a kitchen here. I have no central heating, relying on log burner and electric radiators [my choice]. However I am not complaining, not at all. I love the place and appreciate every day I live here.

Some people have a bad attitude to life, to people, to everything and do not appreciate what is done for them anyway. I hope you enjoy your new shower OP, sounds great.

vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 13:57:01

We're really excited about the shower. We didn't realise that we could have one so jerry built ourselves something using shower curtains and one of those rubber shower things you push onto the taps. It sort of worked but the connections tended to slip off the taps and you were suddenly scalded or frozen. We can't wait to be able to set the water temperature and know that it will stay constant.

Susie42 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:04:24

It's good to hear of vampirequeen's good news when so many people abuse their local authority.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 17-Mar-20 14:08:43

What a cheering thread. I wish you both many years of happy showering, vampirequeen! flowers

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:12:03

I bet you made their day vampirequeen. It sounds lovelysmile.

Jomarie Tue 17-Mar-20 14:21:56

Good on you vampirequeen so great to hear someone actually appreciating work done for them by their council. It must be such a relief for you both to have this umbrella overhead. I too know of council tenants for whom nothing is good enough and no care taken over any improvements made for free to their property,

Sparklefizz Tue 17-Mar-20 14:46:11

A brilliant happy post vampirequeen. smile

eazybee Tue 17-Mar-20 15:01:25

Yes, very good to hear someone appreciating their good fortune.
Quizqueen, Why don't you write to the council and thank them?

A friend lived in a road that had some electricity cables replaced, and access to them centred on his drive. The workmen completed the job efficiently and with minimal disruption so he phoned their boss to thank them. The boss, expecting a complaint, was totally astonished, then phoned back later and asked if he could have it in writing to show the workmen since they were rarely shown any appreciation. (At the same time the woman across the road had complained because her electric clock had lost thirty seconds!)

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 15:09:52

vampirequeen
Well said and a great attitude.

The best kept houses in a road where I have relatives are the council owned ones; those that are ex-council houses bought on mortgages are not so as people are struggling to pay their mortgages!

New kitchens, new roofs, excellent fencing, solar panels, new windows, all painted outside etc.

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 15:11:12

Enjoy your lovely new bathroom
flowers

PamGeo Tue 17-Mar-20 19:28:18

Lovely attitude you both have Vampirequeen, long may you reign in your updated throne room.

Charleygirl5 Tue 17-Mar-20 19:46:50

I hope you enjoy your new bathroom for many years to come. There are many moaning Minnies around and if they had to pay towards it they would never shut up.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Mar-20 20:38:34

I know somebody paying ridiculously low council rent for a housing association home. She continually complains and demands changes and improvements.

She wants (and gets) financial compensation for any little inconvenience caused (e.g. meals out when the kitchen's being worked on), then nags and complains to the workmen.

She's proud of how much she gets them to do. It's all 'What can I have' and 'Me, me, me'.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Mar-20 21:42:46

Hope it makes your life much easier and it’s great that you appreciate it
We hear of so many people who think they have a ‘right’ to the help they are given. They are usually the ones who have never given much to society though.

Artdecogran Tue 17-Mar-20 22:18:42

I am so happy that you are happy, any good news is much needed isn’t it? I moved house in November and my son registered me for assisted bin collection. They even put them back for me. Well done council. Sorry for hopping on your thread.

Jane43 Tue 17-Mar-20 22:22:18

What a lovely post, may your glass always be half full Vampirequeen. ?

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 22:27:27

Appreciating good fortune, is, strangely not all that common.
Good for you VQ I hope you have many happy showers in your updated bathroom.?

welbeck Tue 17-Mar-20 22:35:54

i think maybe because you were previously in private rented accomm, you appreciate the benefits of council housing.
some people take things for granted.
they perhaps do not realise how fortunate they are compared with many of us, who have not enough money to upkeep their homes, or are struggling under the vagaries of private landlords.
but not all council or housing assn tenants are so fortunate.
a large estate near here was without heating and hot watr all through the winter. was an argument between the gas board, the housing assn, and the previous owners, a council.
they had not got the required safety cert when ownerhip passed and the gas had to be cut off. they did supply some electric heaters and hobs but they used much more fuel and not suitable for cooking family meals.
happy ablutions. you need some indoor entertainment in the present situation.

vampirequeen Wed 18-Mar-20 07:20:12

Today the plumber and joiner are coming. Yesterday the plumber told me that the joiner really loves the Beatles so my little Alexa will be playing them all day grin.

Witzend Wed 18-Mar-20 10:50:27

A son in law is involved with making council properties considerably more energy efficient, so visits a lot of local authority homes.

Of course there are the moaners, for whom nothing will ever be good enough, free or not, so he was very happy to meet the man who was delighted with his small flat - he had previously been homeless.