Gransnet forums

Chat

Confused.Com coronavirus

(79 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:58:44

Just had this come info come through to my iPad regarding the Coronavirus don’t deep clean your home, Don’t use cash Don’t share toothpaste Don’t bother wearing a mask , Do shop online, Do keep your distance Do rotate coats and shoes Do limit the use of public transport, I will be doing what I’ve always done.being sensible, not taking silly risks, and hopefully we will come through unscathed

fourormore Tue 17-Mar-20 13:54:28

Well said TreandyNannie!
If only common sense had ruled over past years we wouldn't be in such a state of panic.
I know the virus is serious but over the years we have become such a nanny state - reaching for pills and potions as soon as we get a sniffle. The result is, that we now have no natural resistance.
My GC are prime examples - the slightest 'ailment' is hammered with infant and junior medicines. I am not saying we should allow our babes to suffer obviously but our bodies need to fight germs in order to build up resistance!
DH has a lung problem so we are being careful but if we go under house arrest we will end up killing each other.
We are using common sense and not taking unnecessary risks.
Good luck to us all!

Daisymae Tue 17-Mar-20 14:50:34

I trust that means that you will adhere to official guidelines? I understand that Italian people are saying they didn't take too much notice. At first.

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:59:55

We should help our NHS by self-isolating if told to do so. The more of us who stay healthy the better.

I know there are still people who are ignoring the guidelines, putting themselves and others at risk.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Mar-20 17:01:47

Of course Daisymae like I said I will do what I’ve always done, wash hands etc etc NOT taking silly risks using common sense. But there are quite a few out there that are making it quite plain they will do what they want when they want sadly This saddens me, they do not appear to be taking it seriously

tickingbird Tue 17-Mar-20 17:05:36

What scares me is I'm having to go to the shops. I popped out to a small local shop today after driving to Morrisons and the huge carpark was full. I turned round and drove home. It's madness. Online shopping - earliest I can get delivered is 6 April! I'm angry at the panic buyers and angry that the supermarkets have allowed it.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 17:11:39

Corner shops still have everything that the supermarkets have run out of.

undecided Tue 17-Mar-20 17:15:30

What confuses me is that very kind volunteers offer to do shopping for you which infers tht you should not even go out of the front door - but I am healthy and can walk to the local shop and do, and also walk the dog - does tht mean I am being irresponsible? I do not go near other people whilst walking and make sure that I do not go near people in the shop. Maybe we get used to it - I don't know.

M0nica Tue 17-Mar-20 17:28:48

Your approach is the same as mine. I am limiting shopping to once a week and at a quiet time.

tickingbird Tue 17-Mar-20 17:34:02

I'm going to go at 7am tomorrow and hopefully all the shelves won't be bare.

B9exchange Tue 17-Mar-20 22:58:08

Rumours (and I cannot identify the source, so please treat as rumour only) is that all travel will be banned from from Friday. Only for essential workers, no trains etc. Hotels to be used to put NHS staff up close to work.

We will be in the same situation as Spain and Italy, where you are challenged every time you go out, and only one person at a time allowed to go food shopping.

So if you are away from home right now, best to come back!

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 23:11:19

fourormore as this is a totally new virus no-one has any resistance to it anywhere in the world.
Except those who have recently had it and thankfully recovered and even that has not yet been proven to be certain.

BlueSky Tue 17-Mar-20 23:20:06

Will we be able to walk in quiet areas? I see on fb that Italians object to people doing this calling them irresponsible and worse!

Fennel Wed 18-Mar-20 11:14:46

@ Tickingbird - I went to Tesco this am for some fish and someone at the bus stop told me he had gone at 7.30 am and the refilled shelves were already bare.
They're open from 6am to 10pm and restock during the night.
But surely stocks of certain things will run out soon at this rate?

Daisymae Wed 18-Mar-20 14:20:54

My daughter went to a Tesco and Sainsburys before work this morning so it must have been early only to find bare shelves. She went last night and could only get 3 x tins of soup and a cake. There's 4 of them.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 16:55:56

Bluesky walking out is allowed along as you choose quiet places. I am fortunate to live in a village and with the morning getting lighter, I will soon be out and round the footpaths through the fields before 7.00am. I rarely meet people on my walks.

MerylStreep Wed 18-Mar-20 17:05:00

I wish people would realise this country is not on lockdown. We are still free to walk wherever we want. Most of us (where possible) are being sensible and avoid busses, crowded areas etc.
I caller on the radio this morning seriously thought that he couldn't go out. Maybe this will come, who knows but right now we are still free to wander.

Maelil Wed 18-Mar-20 17:07:49

Reading this thread it is clear that people do not understand what “isolating” means. You can’t just go for a walk and “pop” into a shop for a few things. It’s impossible to shop without touching anything- the packets, basket, conveyor belt, counter, PIN machine. This virus lives for days on hard surfaces. Please follow the advice for ALL our sakes.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 21:44:54

Maelil Over 70s are not having to socially exclude. Only those who have the virus, may have it, or are at serious risk from it need to do that. Those over 70 are asked to have minimal social contact. My minimal contact will be a visit once a week to a supermarket with an over 70s shopping period. I will be wearing a mask and latex gloves.

However that does not mean I cannot go and walk the footpaths round my village and it will not stop DH and I taking our cars out for a run each week to somewhere remote and deserted, where we can also stretch ourselves. We do not want to reach the end of the quarantine period with cars with dead battereis and us completely out of practice of driving.

Under 70s with no underlying medical problems have merely been asked to limit social contacts

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 23:01:43

Obviously if anyone thinks they have the virus they should self-isolate as should their families and close contacts maelil.

But for over 70s or vulnerable people the self-isolation means that those who do not have the virus or any symptoms should stay well away from others for their own protection, it does not mean shut up indoors.

undecided Mon 23-Mar-20 14:32:32

However, even if you are 70 and healthy because of your age your immune system is not as efficient as younger and if you DO get it then the probabilities are that you will get it worse than your younger neighbour. So, why chance it? stay isolated as much as you can and then when you have to go out to shop stay away from people and go to local shops. We are all going to be hypochondriacs after all this!!!grin

MawB Mon 23-Mar-20 14:36:32

MerylStreep just because you can does not mean you should.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 23-Mar-20 14:39:31

MOnica and Callistemon ?
Not all 70 yr olds have local shops undecided or anyone to do their shopping.

Callistemon Mon 23-Mar-20 14:47:20

I think some areas have FB groups which have been set up to shop, fetch medicines, walk the dog etc for vulnerable older people.
But do beware Greeneyedgirl as there are also some rogues about taking advantage of older people.

M0nica Mon 23-Mar-20 15:37:21

Greeneyedgirl my local supermarket is 4 miles away and requires a car. We have no-one to shop for us, but we are in the socially distancing not the self-seclusion group so we will go out once a week during the over 70s shopping period,
masked and gloved to do the weeks shopping.