Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(103 Posts)
12Michael Wed 18-Mar-20 06:18:09

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight but grey skies and some rain.
Yesterday , i went out as normal but numbers were down on buses especially the X5 Oxford -Cambridge.
Bicester wise I did manage to get one item I needed plus other bits.
But carried on as normal regardless.
Got home to get a message on my answer phone as to my planned trip which would be tomorrow to see Tina the musical is cancelled .
But I would be getting a letter as to other bookings .
As to the statements on TV as to the virus etc carry on as normal .
It reminds me of Dads Army BJ as Captain Mainwairing , especially the open title bit changed slightly to Union Flag going against Europe and a symbol representing the virus trying to get in.
Mick

Beechnut Wed 18-Mar-20 06:36:58

Good Morning everyone. A damp start to the day on Severnside.

I will go out in the car today for my errand. I haven’t been notified yet but a course I had planned to start next week the centre it is to be held in is closed from next Monday.

I hope you all have the best day possible and stay safe ?

grandMattie Wed 18-Mar-20 06:38:59

Good morning from an overcast Kent.
I had planned to go to my craft group, but it has been cancelled. All left to do today Is the weekly wash. Oh joy!
Keep smiling and we’ll today.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 18-Mar-20 06:40:07

Good morning Mick

Up at 4.30 this morning! Just can’t sleep the whole night lately and it’s driving me crazy.

It’s grey and windy here in Oxfordshire, but it hasn’t rained, so I might get to mow the lawn as I didn’t do it yesterday.

No plans today as DH is still recovering from his chest infection, i will make some Chicken soup later to cheer him up.

Next door have the builders in, it seems strange that we plan to go out then remember that we shouldn’t, but younger families are carrying on as normal.

Our internet is a godsend, DH has decided that we will grow our own veg this year so lots of online searching for ‘stuff’.

Best wishes to all who are struggling with the situation , have a good day.

Sark Wed 18-Mar-20 06:47:11

Good Morning Mick and everyone from a rather dull Oxfordshire
I usually read this thread in the evening or early morning and my heart goes out to so many GNs
Calpurnia flowers
Marydoll I am so sorry about your DD wedding..so very disappointing.
I cannot list all the names I would like to but sending cupcakeflowers to all.
I talked to my elderly Dad on the phone last night and it is so sad that we cannot see him for a while.
Work now and will see what today brings
Best wishes to all

BlueSapphire Wed 18-Mar-20 06:50:34

Good morning Mick and everyone to come. It is a grey cloudy morning in Northampton, but dry, so if it stays that way I shall get out in the garden again this afternoon. I cut the grass yesterday afternoon and need to go round the edges.

I had a surprise phone call yesterday evening from a popular local radio presenter! On his programme yesterday morning he said he would be phoning people up for a bit of a chat to cheer them up and brighten their day. Well, DS got in touch and suggested phoning me as I am now confined to barracks, so just imagine my surprise! He is a lovely man, so kind and always doing things for others; I never miss his morning programme if I can help it. He brings a smile to everyone's day. And no, it wasn't live on air or being recorded (I hope).

My April holiday in Italy has now been cancelled by the tour company, so I can have a full refund, thank goodness. Sitting tight for a few more weeks while I decide what to do about my July cruise, as the balance is not due for another month. But I can't see it happening, as the ships have now been laid up.

Chin up everyone, and special thoughts to those worried or troubled.

Ginny42 Wed 18-Mar-20 06:51:00

Good morning Mick and everyone. It's raining! What a change after the past few days of blue skies and sunshine in Cheshire. The blackbird's been singing out there since around 5.00 in spite of the rain.

I think you'll find all kinds of events cancelled Mick. It's disappointing, but best to be safe and you can see Tina another time.

I'm back in bed with tea and toast with Manuka honey as I'm convinced it will help keep some bugs at bay anyway. I've been in partial isolation for a few days now. I'll walk in the woods with neighbours this morning and this afternoon will drive to a local beauty spot to meet a friend for a walk and home again. We usually eat at each other's home at least once a week. The pleasant thing about yesterday was that my hairdresser was genuinely surprised to find I'm over 70! smile

I hope all the poorly GM team are taking good care of themselves, in particular the Gillybobs, Dragonfly and Marydoll. What a disappointment about your DD's wedding plans! I can imagine a big celebration party when this is all over. Gilly you are an inspiration with your 'can do' attitude. flowers for all. Calpurnia a very big virtual hug especially for you. Thinking of all with worries made all the worse just now.

MawB Wed 18-Mar-20 06:51:46

Good morning all from N Bucks.
Hope you are all well. Mick do keep well away from people on those buses and remember your gloves.
Sadly I don’t think we can “carry on” as usual but agree we should “keep calm”. The world as we know it is changing and while we are not being bombed by the Luftwaffe or expected to “fight them on the beaches” it seems so much has been turned on its head.
Everything seems to have been cancelled, even simple everyday activities have to be reconsidered and the worry for those who are awaiting surgery will be huge.
I like the image you describe, Mick, but unlike Hitler, the ** ? (new emoji for virus!) is here.
Keep safe everybody.

Mythbirtthedragon Wed 18-Mar-20 06:52:53

Good morning from a dull east London, woke up just in time to hear the first lot of bins being collected at 5.44. I am playing tennis this morning, along with hand gel (there are occasions when DP’s ferreting away of all sorts of O&S comes up trumps; these are from a give away pack from when he was working) and possibly seeing DD and family later on. Had been primed to watch Holby City last night as DSD was appearing but that got postponed; haven’t got a clue why as I don’t normally watch it but assume it was to do with the virus. Have as good a day as you can.

QuaintIrene Wed 18-Mar-20 06:57:30

Good morning everyone from a rainy, windy, cold West Yorkshire.
Made a pot of coffee and going to go back to bed for a snuggle with big cat and a listen to the radio.
Feel a bit out of sorts , awful nightmares that I can’t shake off.
Never mind. It’s another day.
My thoughts to all who are ill or troubled and everyone else, take care ?

aggie Wed 18-Mar-20 07:01:24

Good Morning all, it is dull. Out but not actually raining, seems milder but I haven’t ventured out
Mick I wouldn’t go on a bus just now , my Son is a bus inspector and he reports very few people are venturing afar

aggie Wed 18-Mar-20 07:01:24

Good Morning all, it is dull. Out but not actually raining, seems milder but I haven’t ventured out
Mick I wouldn’t go on a bus just now , my Son is a bus inspector and he reports very few people are venturing afar

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 07:04:00

Good morning Mick and all other GNetters
Looks a bit grey at the moment but it’s a bright grey not a grey grey so hopeful
Not sure what I ll do today, now I can’t go to work I ve lost my reason for getting up and getting going If weather stays ok I ll go to my allotment I can see that will be my saving grace
as long as I can get out, if it gets to staying in full stop I dread to think

brook2704 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:05:29

Good morning everyone from a bright cold morning in Inverness.
It looks like the car has frosted up overnight but I’m not planning on using it anyhow!
I’ve started getting a daily phone call from DD2 who normally doesn’t bother ringing. It’s so funny really as she’s definitely checking up on me .. ? I’ll get my own back eventually!
Sending virtual hugs to all on this thread and take care everyone ?

Grammaretto Wed 18-Mar-20 07:06:40

Good morning Mick and all from a dreich town in the Scottish Borders.
Tesco was very quiet last night when I ventured out for urgent supplies. I kept my gloves on and kept 6ft away from other humans.

I may still go to my friend for coffee this morning.
So much else has been cancelled. It's like science fiction.
I wonder if someone is writing a novel.....
I hope others are not struggling .

Grannmarie Wed 18-Mar-20 07:13:32

Good morning, Mick, and all GM posters, old and new.

3 degrees in Lanarkshire, but I can see tiny bits of blue sky behind the clouds.

Our weekly coffee morning in the church hall has been cancelled, also Friday's planned St Patrick's night do.

However, our priest is planning to say Mass this morning as usual for those who wish to attend. Yesterday we distanced ourselves within the church as far as possible.

We have a family funeral elsewhere today, so we have to be out and about. My sister says there is now advice about no handshakes/hugs at funerals? So sad.

Sending love and prayers to all who are anxious and/or coping with health issues.

Take care out there.

12Michael Wed 18-Mar-20 07:14:41

As regards to the buses , Stagecoach seem to as well as smaller ones , do disinfect those buses , lucky today we live in a contactless age where cash transactions are few .
Mick

Pantglas2 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:15:01

Morning all from a damp north Wales - Ginny42 is right it’s rained all night!

More cupboard clear out for me today and DH is relegated to the garage where he whistles loudly and moves things around without getting rid of much!

Need to deliver a telephone lecture to my fit but elderly father who thinks he’s indestructible and keeps gallivanting to crowded places.....as much trouble as a houseful of kids!

Stay safe all x

Rosalyn69 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:17:46

Good morning
Usual Gower mist here.
Another wet dog walk through empty fields.
And a scrabble tournament at the kitchen table.
Orange is the new black for me.
Let’s all stay well.

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Mar-20 07:18:47

Morning All

Grey and overcast here in the north of Norfolk.

I need to go into town, but shall wait until after the school rush and have promised the Offspring that I will be good and take care.

Take care All

grannydee123 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:23:03

Good morning all from a grey but dry Co Antrim. Going to make a cup of coffee and jump back into to bed to read my John Grisham book?. Hoping to go for a walk in the Belfast Hills later.
VIrtual hugs to all...what a mad time we are living in.

Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-20 07:24:22

Good morning from a grey but mild Colchester. Usual coffee meetup cancelled for the foreseeable but most of the group are in touch online.
I ventured into town yesterday to volunteer at a charity shop. They are determined to stay open despite only 3 of us being under 70 and no customers!
I love your Dad's Army analogy Mick .

harrigran Wed 18-Mar-20 07:28:37

Good morning from a grey NE.
DH is going to do a little shop shortly, just some fresh vegetables and oddly we are running short of salad dressing.
I really must find something productive to do, I am spending way too muct time watching TV.
Keep safe everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:33:03

Goodmorning Mick and all x

I think it rained over night in S E Essex, it is very grey at the moment.

I didn't sleep well, worried about having to tell the young girl who does my regular mani/pedicures that I will be cancelling after today's appointment. Instead of choosing a nice bright colour to last two weeks I shall be having the gel taken off of my fingers and toes (they haven't been bare for over 11 years). I appreciate it is shallow but I am so upset by such a stupid material thing. Perhaps it is because it is finally setting in that this will be my last foray into the outside world!!

But hey ho, our confinement is for ours and everyone else's health, but I feel so sorry for the small salon, I doubt if it will survive this flipping virus!!

Marydoll keeping everything crossed that your DD can get married.

Gillybob virtual hugs and kind thoughts to you and your family.

Urmstongran and other Grans abroad in isolation, make the most of the sunshine.

Virtual hugs and kind thoughts to all other Grans at this trying time. flowers

Calpurnia Wed 18-Mar-20 07:33:03

Good morning to all you lovely caring GN’ers from a dull and grey S.Devon. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, flowers and virtual hugs. It is very comforting to know others on here are ever ready with a kind word or gesture when you are feeling sad and feeling all alone.

We are lucky enough to live at the seaside. If my husband feels up to it I will take him out in the car and might even get out for a short stroll along the prom for some restoring fresh sea air - keeping our distance from others of course!

I hope everyone stays well today. You are clearly a resourceful lot with plans to keep busy while being “confined to barracks”. Keeping good mental health and attitude is as important as keeping as fit and well as possible.

Wishing you all a happy day today.