Gransnet forums

Chat

Trying to keep our spirits up ! Coping strategy ( lighthearted )

(190 Posts)
Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 00:25:52

In Gemini Towers we have a new plan to help us survive the isolation. A daily timetable . It will begin tomorrow and follows helpful hints from the tv tonight.

7am Dawn chorus. Opera singing in the back garden.
( thanks to Gareth Malone for the suggestion. Husband not keen. I have a sore throat but nevertheless....)

10am old fashioned PT hour jogging round the daffs till out of puff. No kit ? Do what we did in the old days. Tuck vest in.

11am Tai Chi or our version thereof. Also in back garden ( hope it doesn’t rain )

Lunch
PM
2pm Chinese language lesson . Could prove useful.
3pm Meal planning using Blitz cook book. Spam fritters maybe ?
4pm Meditation hour. In garden if fine. Loud chants of Om and banging of gongs/chimes /dustbin lids or whatever’s to hand .
5pm Watch Big Brother Boris’s guide to isolation for the old guys on the telescreen.

I’m too tired to plan the evening. Any suggestions ? Would any one like to join us by videolink tomorrow ? ???‍♂️??

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 06:56:02

Funnily enough- no! We'll be too busy rewiring the house with help from YouTube. What could possibly go wrong?!

Grannmarie Thu 19-Mar-20 07:01:08

Brilliant, Gemini, just what we need.

I laughed, visualising your meditation hour.

I think it's a good idea to have some kind of structure to the day.

I think I will try to adapt this Schedule for families with children, I do like the look of Quiet time!

Take care.

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 07:08:44

Love it!
Slightly seriously DD actually has a “schedule” each day for little DGS (nearly 4) and herself -sometimes including Daddy- as he has not been able to go to nursery. They start with “Circle time” (2 of them!) and she has a sheet with hourly or so activities. He is the sort of child who likes to know what things are happening in advance and he is loving being at home with Mummy!
My plan for today starts with
Look at GN
Let Hattie out
Mug of tea .....
And I haven’t got beyond that yet!

But I love your idea ???

Patsyb71 Thu 19-Mar-20 07:20:45

Love the suggestions on here, but what has made me laugh this morning, is an advert at the top of the thread for macafee, "hidden viruses could be slowing down your computer" do you think it could be called coronavirus.

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:26:30

I might have a shower. Could be the highlight of my day. Not sure yet. I've got this mug of tea to drink then might have a wee think.

Auntieflo Thu 19-Mar-20 08:36:04

Love the idea of a schedule, but so far haven't written one.

Exercise:- yesterday was geting up after weeding. Today's will be to get the weighted hula hoop out of the garage and see if I can still do it!

Grandmafrench Thu 19-Mar-20 08:43:14

Oh well, so much for original thought (done the shower/tea thing already). Hard to have an original thought indoors at the mo’ - or any thought......one cat shouting for his drugs ( seriously, why make them so tasty?) two others having Mexican standoff under table over 3 small cat biscuits, one dog building a new home of cushions on a couch and the other sitting against front door in case either parent needs companionship on a bid for freedom. So, clinging to my bowl of oats, I’m hiding in the bedroom and leaving DH to restore order ?

sodapop Thu 19-Mar-20 08:44:46

Jane10 keep in touch so we know the rewiring is going ok smile good luck

Lucca Thu 19-Mar-20 08:50:04

On FaceTime I said how I was missing the dgc. My DD suggested I make a drink , tell myself I wanted it in the blue mug not the yellow one, sit at the table, spill the drink then have an argument with myself about who had that pen first , me or me. Then I would feel like they were there!

Esther1 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:51:30

I will have gc next week when schools close. I am going to play schools and set up a little fun area and we can take turns in being the teacher. My gd is only 5 so amenable enough for this and I plan to really improve her reading and writing and sums. Then we’ll have playtime and PE. It probably sounds too good to be true and she’ll beg to watch cartoons on the tv!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:56:57

At the moment we are watching a programme about cruise liners and the joys of cruising. Hmmmmm
We need a plan because DH wants to
Get onto the garage roof as there is a leak and it’s making the wall mouldy
Get into conservatory roof to fix a leak there as well.
Get onto main roof to reattach a piece of guttering that is flapping in the wind.
My immediate plan is to pack a suitcase for him when the ambulance arrives.
FHS he only went outdoors for the first time yesterday!
Anyway it’s raining, so we might just watch more Telly.
I won’t let him see this thread because if he realises he could learn to rewire the house by watching YouTube I will have to move out.

Teetime Thu 19-Mar-20 09:28:29

We have a sort of structure to the day anyway and that wont change much. DH is banging on about exercise but we can still play golf together if not with others.

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:34:32

oopsadaisy and sodapop- I was joking about rewiring the house. I was just trying to think of something really stupid to do. DH has gone to work. However, he works in a workshop on his own and doesn't see people. If he needs to fill up he goes to a self service pay at the pump petrol station.
It's a beautiful day here. Might go for a lonely walk. Sigh.

Grannybags Thu 19-Mar-20 09:39:02

Well our routine of having coffee at 10ish every morning won't change - I've just found out that milk that has been frozen still froths for my cappuccino!

I will survive!

Greymar Thu 19-Mar-20 09:39:24

Don't want to be accused of derailing the jolly thread, but I find this kind of thing very very difficult. I like to be out, doing , have structure,other humans. Really floundering at the moment.

Anyway good luck to you motivated folk.

Littleannie Thu 19-Mar-20 09:42:59

I am watching YouTube videos on how to cut your own hair!

Davida1968 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:43:56

Spam fritters? First find your tin of Spam!!

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 09:45:14

Lucca I love it!
I might schedule a meltdown after Homes Under The Hammer! ???

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:58:03

Aw Greymar. We are here for you. You are obviously a friendly person who needs other people. It IS difficult.
Jane 10. Your walk won’t be lonely. I will be doing a virtual walk with you . I will be doing a real walk later . Forced into it by Mr G. I hate exercise. ( Trying to think up an excuse while I write ) Takes up valuable time when I could be reading.
Lucca ????
MawB Lovely that you can still have your grandson. The little ones do cheer you up don’t they ? We usually look ours but ....
Time for PT 1234. 1234. Up 234....

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:00:00

Greymar- I know what you mean. It's an awful thought. However, I was similarly immured twice in the past few years following knee replacement ops. I found that I felt like I was chatting to people all day on my various posting forums of which this is one. Of course, I was really physically prevented from doing very much but I did find a routine to life. I'm feeling frustrated at having to cut back on my various exercise classes though. I was really enjoying getting my fitness back. Guess it will inevitably slump now though.

Curlywhirly Thu 19-Mar-20 10:02:14

Well woke up thinking ah, it's Thursday, my day with no GC to mind or my volunteering job, my day to go absolutely anywhere I fancy for my weekly shopping trip - Chester, Liverpool, Manchester etc - then realised I won't be going anywhere! I need to sort out a new routine myself, but finding it hard to stay in and find things to do, apart from housework (which sadly I do enjoy?). But, if himself stops going to work and has to stay home - I can think of loads of things he can do, my list would keep him busy for months. Unfortunately, think he would be quite happy snoozing in his chair for most of the day!

Greymar Thu 19-Mar-20 10:04:47

Geminii, that is so very kind of you, thanks. And Jane, fellow socialite.

Rosalyn69 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:12:33

Love this thread.
I love schedules (and lists). DH is not fairing so well as club length distancing golf cancelled due to persistent rain.
Joint kitchen cleaning this morning.
Home Pilates.
Dog walk.
And series 2 of The Kingdom in reserve for dark days.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Mar-20 11:50:42

your exercise regime is a step too far for me but I am repairing the greenhouse roof so courting danger up a ladder. DH was helpng but he's been sent away in disgrace for knocking over the plants.
I have moved 2 panes of glass , cleaned the rhones and am now drinking coffee while listening to DGS on piano. What could be nicer?
This forum is a godsend.