Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Sun 22-Mar-20 06:21:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a blue sky start here in Brackley this morning.
Today for me have another fry up breakfast, I only used to have these in a cafe in Buckingham about once a month on Saturdays.
Then Lunch , Steak & Kidney Pie plus Chips and Peas.
The Pie is made locally as we have a pie shop in the town, I usually by a small one as it lasts me 2 days , nice and meaty.
They are made on premises and sometimes when they are cooking and wind is right direction a nice wiff in the air.
Then watch last years bike racing repeats on Eurosport.
Mick

aggie Sun 22-Mar-20 06:25:52

Good Morning Michael , a very different Sunday for us all .
Bright and not freezing here , I hope it warms up a wee bit so I can get out in the garden

Ginny42 Sun 22-Mar-20 06:36:39

Good morning Mick, Aggie and all who follow. A nice upbeat greeting this morning Mick despite the worries. There's a frost about, but it's a bright morning in Cheshire to brighten the spirits. Had planned to work in the garden yesterday but it was just too cold with a strong wind. Hope it warms up so I can get some plants in today.

I'm never with my DD on Mother's Day, so it's not a problem for me. I am worried about them as they're in a locked down city, but we'll be Skyping later.

Thankyou for the lovely flowers Aggie. Enjoy your day everyone. flowers

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Mar-20 06:39:16

Goodmorning Mick and all x

Blue sky, no breeze here in S E Essex

Wishing you all a Happy Mothering Sunday I think that today is going to be difficult for a lot of us Grans/Mums.

Keep safe folks flowers

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 06:44:04

Good morning

Happy mother’s Day???

Funny sort of day folks but look forward to next year.

Glorious sun again on the South Downs but such a cold wind. I wrap up and do a bit then dash into the warm.

Love and huge support to our NHS staff, May you find strength and enough sleep to see you through.

Thank you thank you thank you

Greyduster Sun 22-Mar-20 06:53:20

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun is up in South Yorkshire for what is going to be a virtual Mothering Sunday. If it’s not too cold we will be doing battle with the garden again. Your steak pie sounds nice, Mick. We know a butcher who makes lovely ones, but we don’t get round to see him very often! Boeuf Stroganoff for us this evening. Have the best day you can folks.

Beechnut Sun 22-Mar-20 07:01:30

From a bright Severnside it’s a Hello altogether.
I was just thinking of the greeting my great uncle used when seeing us so thought I’d use it this morning.

I expect that pie whiff makes your mouth water Mick.

DD came by yesterday and also had a Facetime with my brother.

I was thinking yesterday when so many of us said we hoped to get out in the garden that one thing that possibly won’t survive the virus will be the weeds. Immaculate gardens.

Thinking of everyone and have a lovely day whatever you do ?

Maybelater2020 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:08:50

Good morning Mick and All. A bright sunny morning here in Chester. This is early for me to be on Gransnet but have been woken by my little dog wanting her breakfast, she is on a diet and continually hungry. Never mind, I am now back in bed with a cup of tea and Mother's Day cards to open. It will be a strange Mother's Day with no visit or treats but we will chat on the phone later.

Nothing on my calender for the foreseeable future. More gardening and craft work today after I have taken the dog for a long walk. I seem to be spending longer and longer on dog walks, avoiding people of course.

Enjoy your pie Mike. We had a similar pie shop and , about a week ago, I thought I would treat myself but disappointingly found it had closed down.

Keep well everyone flowers

Mythbirtthedragon Sun 22-Mar-20 07:10:04

Good morning from east London, grey, dry and a bit chill outside (serves me right for nipping out into the garden to feed the birds in my dressing gown). Not enjoying my usual view at the moment as relocated to DS’ bedroom as woke at 4.20am, bright and alert and didn’t want to disturb DP; my drinking tea and page turning can create a racket. Nipping out to the library today; we’ve been told we can have the next 3 books for the book club to keep us going then discuss thro social media. Did a rain check with Northumberland family yesterday as DSiL works in a school and DSis2 in a hospital. Both will be working for as long as; I did wonder if DSis2 would be refreshing her nursing skills as she now works in ward admin but she reckons they need her more for her usual job. Have a good day.

BlueSapphire Sun 22-Mar-20 07:12:14

Good morning all, and a happy Mothering Sunday.
It's a bright morning in Northampton and hoping to get out and cut the grass this afternoon. It was such a bitter wind yesterday that I decided to stay in the warm.
Sausage butty for breakfast first, and roast chicken this evening. Your pie sounds delicious Mick, DH was always partial to a nice pie.
Thinking especially of all of us mums who are at home on our own today.

Laughterlines Sun 22-Mar-20 07:16:37

Morning from sunny windy east coast.

Big shout out to all NHS workers and to all those lovely people who have volunteered to help others less fortunate. Everybody is asked to give them round of applause on 26 March at 8 pm from front door, back garden wherever you find yourself let’s all join in to show how much we appreciate all they do, have done and will do. Thank you.

Mothers speak on phone to children today to keep them safe. Mothers don’t need to be told how much they are loved, they already know. Virtual hug to you all, you know who you are.

Watched load u tube clips yesterday of Freddy Starr and had good laugh.

Stay well we can do this x

harrigran Sun 22-Mar-20 07:23:32

Good morning from a grey NE.
Preparing piles of vegetables for a big family lunch and searching for the large damask table cloth then I snorted and woke myself up.
DD is in lockdown abroad, her DH was talking about setting up her small electric piano on the bedroom balcony so that she could play for the avenue last night.
DIL has been let go from work and the GC are to be home schooled. Thank goodness for computers.
My friend sent a message to say that her DH had decided to do some DIY and had almost lost his thumb using a circular saw. They have been isolated for a while and now having to attend the hospital, she is not happy.
Take care everyone.

NfkDumpling Sun 22-Mar-20 07:26:47

Morning All

What a beautiful morning it is too - bit chilly out though!

The garden is starting to benefit already from our being in - although we haven’t really been doing anything much differently yet. We often have a week of not going out except to the shop for milk, etc. I think it’s the fact that we can’t go anywhere that’s mentally challenging.

Hopefully, we will get around to taking the seats back to the boat today. We have to think about getting a new starter switch fitted and it’s expensive - does anyone know anything about galvanic isolators?

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 07:27:53

Sunny day in Suffolk
Good morning mick and all other posters
A happy Mothering Sunday to all mums stay safe and keep well

Brunette10 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:30:13

Good Morning from a lovely sunny Fife. Happy Mother's Day to all Mums and Grans here today. We will all miss our usual activities/gatherings but I know everyone understands the point. It is a Mothering Sunday we shall all remember. Thinking of those who are truly on their own today. Going to potter once again today, house tidy and hopefully out in the garden and take advantage of this beautiful weather. Look after yourselves everyone and for today try and put this terrible situation behind us for a few hours if we can. Sending hugs and flowers to all flowers. Stay safe.

bikergran Sun 22-Mar-20 07:31:18

Not looked out of the window yet here in North Lancashire, but the crack through the blinds looks bright.

Off to work soon, "supermarket" lets see what today brings.

have a pleasant as day as possible everyone.

cornergran Sun 22-Mar-20 07:31:53

Morning Mick, morning All from a bright and chilly corner of Somerset. A virtual Mothering Sunday ahead here, his brave parents are going to chase Littlest around to try to persuade him talking is more fun than hiding, the older ones will be more sedate smile. Often don’t see the family on ‘ the day’, this feels different but will enjoy the chats. Had a great time gardening yesterday, sort of regretting it today so will content myself with getting the garden furniture out of hibernation. . So, some pottering, a walk in the sun and paella this evening followed by chocolate brownie pudd and cream. What’s not to like? I know today will be hard for many so hope Sunday is gentle with us all. Stay well and safe.

Urmstongran Sun 22-Mar-20 07:32:34

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s chilly with white cloud. We are now on Day 8 of the 15 day lockdown. A neighbour in the building who has lived here for years thinks that the Spanish government will just keep extending it.

Slow cooker today - we got some lovely fat pork steaks - and I’ve got potatoes, tinned sweetcorn and frozen sprouts so there plenty to plate up a dinner for my 84y old neighbour 3 doors along the landing. She was really anxious yesterday about all this feeling more vulnerable as she lives alone. I know she is hoping we don’t fly back to Manchester till all this is over. She knows I’m undecided but I haven’t told her I’m leaning towards staying as I don’t want to build her hopes up as I’m such a ditherer.

I don’t have enough blood pressure tablets with me to stay so tomorrow I’ll go out (alone, as is the rule now) to the pharmacy to see if I can buy some. I’m pretty confident you can out here - so different to the U.K.

Hope Mothering Sunday is uplifting for all of us - at least we are still here and, whatever the geographical distance from our loved ones, they are still here too, somewhere. Keep safe everybody. x
❤️

Pittcity Sun 22-Mar-20 07:33:23

Good morning from sunny but cold Colchester. DS has left for a 15 hour shift unloading lorries and restocking shelves at a big supermarket. Not sure what DH and I will do. I'll talk to my Mum and DDs and we have a roast dinner to look forward to.

Susan56 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:33:36

Good morning from the Shropshire borders.A bright but chilly start to the day.
Happy Mother’s Day ???
Mary,I hope you are feeling better today.
Stay safe everyone?

Sar53 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:39:15

Good morning everyone from a sunny Essex by the sea. Happy Mothers day to all us lovely mums. I've received cards from both my girls so will open them shortly.
Roast lamb later. Will spend the day reading, knitting and doing my jigsaw.
Have the best day you can and stay safe xx

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 07:42:14

Good morning all from a bright, but cold Glasgow, where it is -1C.

Happy Mothering Sunday to mothers everywhere, especially to those whose children are no longer with them. ?
DD has just message me a whole set of photos of when they were all young. ?. I don't know how her brothers are going to outdo her! wink ?
I'm thinking especially of my dear friend, who buried her son on Friday and whose other son is stuck in Australia and couldn't come to the funeral. ?
I know this will be a difficult day for Anniebach too. ?

After spending all day in bed yesterday, I feel much better. Poor DH was convinced that I had Coronavirus and was very concerned. sad. It's that fact that I never take to my bed, that worried him, but I was just exhausted after all the drama this week. However, life must go on.
I have received so much support on GN, that I'm overwhelmed.

A read of the papers and then hopefully a wee bit of tidying up in the garden is in order. It has been neglected this year, as I haven't been able to do much.
It will look great, with all this time we will have to spend on it. ?????.
Then again, we can't get out to buy bedding plants! sad.

My tablet packed up last night and has a fault that cannot be fixed, so it will need to be flattened and reset to factory settings. and I will lose all the progress I have made on my word games. ?.
On top of that there is something wrong with my emails, so I shall have to dust off my old techie hat and try and fix things. I do like a challenge! grin. My only worry is that there is something sinister afoot! ?

I may not see my children today, but they have been absolute stars. It was DS2's birthday yesterday, but as we were unable to see him, DD left a care package for him on his doorstep.
DD came back to her flat later to find a single toilet roll and a mini bottle of Prosecco on hers!
They are determined to stay away to keep DH and I safe. On the other hand it could be an excuse not to have to put up with their dear old mum

My future SIL went at 8am yesterday to collect my medication, as he always does, only to find that they were operating on limited opening hours. He then went back to queue for an hour to get them, but his own weren't available. Very difficult times for us all.

DD left another care package on the doorstep, complete with Creme eggs and some After Eights as a treat! grin.
I shall look like the side of a house, when this is all over.

DS1 also organised a Facetime with DGD doing a special dance for me to Neil Diamond's Cracklin' Rosie, one of the first singles, I ever bought, it really cheered me up. ??

Thinking of all those with pain and sorry.
Megs I hope there is some improvement in your husband's condition.

Enjoy your day the best you can in these awful times.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 07:50:16

I forgot to say, DH has mislaid my mother's Day card and instead I got one, he found stashed in a drawer. It says, Happy Mother's Day Mum.
His mother has been dead for ten years! Recycling at it's best! ?
It's the thought that counts!

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:51:09

Morning all from a blue skied north Wales where I’m about to trot out for a paper.

Will hope for a FaceTime with DD later but she’s working hard so I won’t sweat the small stuff! Will busy myself making some Bara Brith and think about my mother and grandmother making theirs when they were alive - I probably haven’t made as many as they did!

Stay safe everyone x

brook2704 Sun 22-Mar-20 08:02:11

Good morning and a Happy Mother’s Day from Inverness
It’s cloudy and cold this morning but fingers crossed it will improve a bit later
So very pleased you’re feeling so much better today Marydoll and hope that you enjoy today as much as you can
We had a FaceTime call yesterday with 2 DGC - I attempted to read them a story - it was hilarious trying to get the angle right on the phone so they could see the pictures etc. But it did keep them entertained for a little while !
No plans today just lazing around really ....
Take care everyone ??