Gransnet forums

Chat

Slipping into slobbishness

(116 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 22-Mar-20 21:18:25

I’m very sleepy and tempted to go to bed without a bath. Nobody’s going to get closer than 6’ to me anytime soon so why not wear the same clothes three days running, leave my hair unbrushed and leave my bed unmade?
Will I turn into a stinking slob and eventually stop brushing my teeth, changing my pants and cleaning the bathroom? Is slobbishness something we could all slide into if not vigilant?
I’ve now frightened myself and off to run my bath!

vampirequeen Sun 22-Mar-20 21:32:12

It's easy to slip into sitting around in comfortable clothes. It happens to me when DH is away overnight and I'm alone. I can't go out without him so there seems little reason to get dressed. I slob around in my pjs all day. It's comfier. I like think as a holiday from my bra day grin

flowersfromheaven Sun 22-Mar-20 21:52:36

I am glad to hear it's not just me.

Evie64 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:54:39

Watermeadow, yup, right there with you love! I am currently self isolating as unwell and feeling totally shattered, so sleeping, a lot! This morning I gave myself the goal to get out of bed, have a bloody shower and wash and blow dry my hair, put on my lovely LouLou perfume and make up and wear my best frock, even if just to sit and watch the dreadful news on the TV unfolding. It's like being in a disaster movie innit? Was reduced to tears earlier when both my daughters left cards and gifts on my doorstep and stood in the street waving and blowing kisses. Broke my heart. sad sad

fatgran57 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:58:32

Trying to keep up appearances first thing but later put on revolting gardening clothes which are covered in seaweed (see other post!!!) and wood shavings - OH is planing/sanding large sheets of timber so plenty of those for mulch.

I laughed when onother poster a few days ago said she would think of growing a beard smile I was thinking of letting my eyebrows grow.

Luckily had a haircut last week or I could have been mistaken for a Yeti down in the garden,

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 22:03:10

or I could have been mistaken for a Yeti down in the garden,
Not the ladygarden I hope fatgran grin[gtin]

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 22:03:32

grin

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 22:18:21

No bra for 5 days. Bliss until I'm playing horsey with DGS and catch sight of my boobs, wandering free. Easily solved. Higher neckline!

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-20 22:18:26

Take it from one who has lived in the middle of nowhere for donkey's years. There's nothing wrong with slobishness as a reaction to a sudden change in circumstances. The feeling that nobody will see you so why bother will soon get on your nerves so don't worry - just pick yourself up when you're ready.

Old clothes, scraping your hair back, no make up. Nothing wrong with that but dig out all your best 'smellies' shower or bath and wash your hair. You will feel better.

Think rustic chic. I wore a new jumper in the garden today which I bought just after Christmas. Not worth keeping it just for going out so I might as well enjoy it even if it ends up looking like Monty Don's holey one.

You are your style. Don't abandon it when you need it most.

May7 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:22:16

I'm the opposite I keep having 2hrly baths. grin DH thinks I'm nuts its usually a quick shower but I'm reading in peace.

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-20 22:29:02

Is that a bath every two hours, May7? grin

May7 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:32:29

Maybe if I can arrange it wine

Luckygirl Sun 22-Mar-20 22:35:34

I would certainly slob right out - not bother to comb hair, wear clean clothes etc. - if it were not for the darned video calls from the DDs!!!

Bagatelle Sun 22-Mar-20 22:36:14

As FaceTime can pop up at any time I'm keeping up appearances. Family, friends and neighbours are keeping in touch, a lifeline for those on their own who can't go out.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Mar-20 22:40:00

I mainly work from home and only go into the office one day a week normally. That is the only day that I wear full make up, high heels and dress professionally. On the "work from home" days, I wear a pair of thick fleecy pjs and a fleecy hoodie that are comfortable and warm (don't need the heating on). Now that I'm working from home all the time, I think I'll be living in my pjs! Thank God I don't Skype in for meetings!

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-20 22:43:55

I posted on another thread today that DD said she would facetime me this morning. I got dressed early, put on make up, did something ridiculous amazing with my hair and waited for the call.

She phoned me on the landline. hmm

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 22:44:49

-lipstick 'n all today and perfume too. I don't feel human otherwise. All dressed up and nowhere to go grin
I'd never sit around in my nightwear it'd feel like a self-induced illness.
If I'm going to die, I'll die with my boots on as the saying goes.

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-20 22:45:42

Whereas the other day my sis-in-law phoned me just as I had emerged from the shower, PJs on, hair under a towel etc., etc.

She, on the other hand, was all glammed up.

SueDonim Sun 22-Mar-20 22:45:58

A day of slobbery is fine but it gets me down after that and I need to get dressed. I’ve never liked being in pj’s, I always dress as soon as I’m up in the morning.

My girls love their pj’s - I think they’ve as many pairs as they have of workwear. grin

TerryM Sun 22-Mar-20 23:08:39

Monday to Friday my "rule" was that I get dressed by 9am
Now with forced incarceration I still am doing this but the bra isn't happening .
Ummm how long can I go with out a bra and that the bra still fits eventually lol

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 23:12:48

Slobbishness is all very well until somebody FaceTimes you. ????

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 23:13:41

Merlot gringrin - but what a relief!

Grandma2213 Sun 22-Mar-20 23:15:55

I think we're all going to end up with boobs down to our knees after this!

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 23:22:43

I had to make an effort today for family waving through the window (we speak on the phone at the same time - so I'm calling it window Skype, a new trend).

Usually, though, I've taken to living in fluffy PJs and only getting dressed (well,changing the PJ bottoms for joggers) to walk the dog.

I do have standards, though, washing and combing hair. I shamefully admit that I wash my hair less often as it's mostly hidden under a beanie hat in public anyway!

fatgran57 Sun 22-Mar-20 23:23:14

Haha Maw didn't think of THAT garden. smile