Gransnet forums

Chat

Our house is on the market - hhh

(43 Posts)
Gaga1950 Thu 26-Mar-20 11:56:23

Our house is on the market and obviously no one is coming to view because it is hardly an ‘essential’ item. This morning the agent phoned to say that they want to come with a drone and a video to enable them to do a virtual tour - wonderful, the garden is full of beautiful spring flowers and the magnolia tree is stunning. The house is a different matter - I’m not house proud and spend time doing things that generate disorder - do I want that over the internet and I’ve now got just 3 hours to sort it! What are YOU doing today!

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 12:03:35

Its fine to ask them to come tomorrow ALTHOUGH if your agents are GOOD it might be worth them seeing it (virtually) so they can advise you on staging, then send the drone back when its done

We get "blind" to our own homes. The area WE think needs attention may be fine, and we may be overlooking another area that actually needs restaging.

So worth them seeing it BEFORE you do a load of work IYKWIM

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 12:07:11

Or ask them to do garden and front while its sunny and come back another day for indoors.

Good agents dont mind redoing photos several times

Franbern Thu 26-Mar-20 12:12:15

Gaga1950 - do join those of us who are in or have recently gone through this whole selling/buying mallarci under House and Home. you cannot miss the special thread on this - it is now up to Thread 4 - you could spend an interesting time reading through it from where it started in Thread 1 about a year ago.

annsixty Thu 26-Mar-20 12:47:06

My friends have been told by their agent that house selling/ viewings are on hold.
Is this correct.?
They were told unless contracts have been exchanged they can not proceed.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 13:33:15

But they won’t be able to put the drone indoors will they?

Anyway, as others have said you can’t have people in your home at the moment, as it’s a big Nono, let them photograph your lovely garden though whilst all of the flowers are out, just in case this all goes on longer than we all want it to.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 13:36:27

I imagine that Estate Agents are badly affected at the moment, but it isn’t safe to let them within 6 ft of you and definitely not to go into your home.

I pressed post too early sorry

grannyactivist Thu 26-Mar-20 13:36:58

My daughter's sale was due to be completed two days ago, but it's on hold for the foreseeable future. sad

Newatthis Thu 26-Mar-20 13:46:18

Do you really want people to come and view your house at the moment? Put it on hold until it is safe for people to enter your house.

Atqui Thu 26-Mar-20 13:50:22

We put ours back on the market just before this all kicked off.
Even if we wanted people to come and view there is no way we would go and look at any properties.So on hold it must be

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:21:35

Do you really want people to come and view your house at the moment? Put it on hold until it is safe for people to enter your house.

I dont think anyone is expecting viewings.

There are some kinds of buyers that dont need to view in person: emigrants returning home, investera that want the land to build on etc

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-20 14:23:42

We have a buyer and a half built house - I expect construction will be stopped soon so we will just wait.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:24:24

*My friends have been told by their agent that house selling/ viewings are on hold.
Is this correct.?*

One of our local agents is still hard selling
The offices are shut but they are still expecting their agents to work from home which isnt very fair as they are commission based. Would be better to let them go so they can access government income support.

But I guess there will still be buyers. Not mortgaged individuals but builders etc

MamaCaz Thu 26-Mar-20 15:19:22

I hope it's a detached house with no others too near, unless they are also seeking their permission - they can't fly the drone within 50 meters of a building, vehicle or person without it.

MamaCaz Thu 26-Mar-20 15:21:49

.., unless they are also seeking the permission of any neighbours/ property owners who are within that distance, I meant ...

Ellianne Thu 26-Mar-20 15:30:07

Gaga1950 please join our property thread on the joys/traumas of selling houses. I must admit to being a bit of a propertyholic, always checking rightmove and love stories about ways to sell. We are VERY friendly and not cliquey, I joined the thread bit later than some and have experienced nothing other than support and kindness.
Good luck. Seems like an innovative way to keep things moving.

Davidhs Thu 26-Mar-20 16:29:16

Nobody is going to be moving house that is not already committed, the length of this crisis is so unpredictable we are all conserving our cash until there is light at the end of the tunnel. The estate agents are keen to get you committed and persuade you to pay them some cash, unless you are desperate to sell sit tight.

Shelmiss Thu 26-Mar-20 16:43:28

I don’t understand how estate agents can come out to take video using a drone as no-one is supposed to be outside unless it’s for food or essential things. Videoing a house from outside isn’t essential.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:02:45

Nobody is going to be moving house that is not already committed, the length of this crisis is so unpredictable we are all conserving our cash until there is light at the end of the tunnel

That only applies to people moving by choice.

Some people still HAVE to move: into homes that can be adapted after injury, downsizers who cant manage big properties, people who are paying through the nose for rentals and will pay less on a mortgage. People with nightmare neighbours. People who are in temporary accomodation after relocating for work (maybe from abroad) etc

Yes the people who just fancy a change will put it on the back burner indefinitely. But there are others who still need to move AS SOON as we get the green light..

Hetty58 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:08:33

You really couldn't credit it (if in the UK) as we are all in lockdown.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:21:50

Don't get me wrong, there'll be LESS buyers. But there will be buyers.

E.g. made up scenario: key worker couple who relocated just before all this. Now stuck in their temporary accomodation with most of their belongings in expensive storage. Mr&Mrs made-up will still be keen to buy as soon as they can!

Mr & Mrs Alsomadeup who are in an adequate house but were thinking of maybe moving to a slightly posher area or to somewhere with a bigger garden, nope they'll probably decide to make do and not have the expense of moving in uncertain times.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:09:09

Made up scenario

Mrs x is desperate to sell, but has health issues, she cleans every surface of her home with Dettol , exhausted, she opens the doors to the EA and the buyers and stands well back, when the potential buyers have left, she thoroughly cleans all surfaces and door handles, opens all windows to let out whatever bugs have dropped off of the buyers, showers, puts all of her clothes in the wash and slumps exhausted.
Then she does it all again the next day when the EA rings and tell her another couple want to look around.
And again the next day.........
The potential buyers , leave the house, wash their hands, go home put all clothes in the wash, then shower. They do this each time they view a house.
Or, maybe they wait a while until things get back to ‘normal’ ?

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:53:12

People are not going to view right now but some buyers will be poised to buy as soon as they can.

Mortgages are extremely limited at the moment. You need 60%LTV. So it'll be cash. People who have alrrasy sold with equity. Not likely to be first time buyers

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:54:13

People who got stranded in temporary accomodation before all of this will want to have a home again as soon as they can!

Gaga1950 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:18:46

Oh my goodness- I hadn’t realised that this had actually been posted - I thought I had been wholly inept! Thank you for all the responses that are interesting to read and I’ll look on the houses for sale thread! They did come and video the house, it’s a large space so we were not in close proximity and no need to touch anything - then came back with the drone the next day as he’d flown it into a tree and damaged it on day 1!! The idea is that by having a virtual tour people sitting at home have time to do their research and so when we are no longer in lock down they will rush to view and we will be overwhelmed with offers - ha ha!! Where the money will come from to buy is another matter altogether. I’m now secure in the knowledge that no one will be viewing for the foreseeable future so I can return to my slovenly ways - enjoy the garden making dresses for the grandchildren (4 girls 8 boys, who don’t need dresses and 2 more on the way) and being creative with the food people deliver to us!