Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the oldest date you can find

(86 Posts)
Nannyme Sun 29-Mar-20 11:48:03

How about we have a competition to see who has the oldest item in their food cupboard

Calendargirl Sun 29-Mar-20 12:16:30

Do spices count?

Cayenne pepper 13.1.08

Mild chilli powder Nov 08

Ground black pepper June 08

Mixed spice Aug 08.

Some half used bottles of brandy and whisky, 30 odd years?

Is that enough for starters?

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 12:19:37

A Heston Blumenthal Hidden Orange Christmas pudding. Use by date 29.09. 2014

Calendargirl Sun 29-Mar-20 12:23:03

Oh Chewy eat that pudding for Sunday dinner.
Sounds yummy!

Purplepixie Sun 29-Mar-20 12:25:38

A box of Paxo sage and onion stuffing December 2010. Do you think it will be ok to use it now?

JuliaM Sun 29-Mar-20 12:26:36

Probably something from the last Christmas shopping spree, food cupboard stuff!

Much to my disgust my OH through away some perfectly usable dried foods, Pudding rice, dried fruit, bags of flour, and even some tinned stuffs that were lurking in my old Kitchen Cupboards as he ripped them out and prepared for our new kitchen to be fitted which is now fully completed.

Hence, everything stored within my kitchen now is fully in date, although l did find a jar of very nice Marmalade that l had squirrelled away in my dining room Dresser!

Witzend Sun 29-Mar-20 12:27:04

A pack of lasagne sheets - best before end October 2003!!
I knew I’d had them quite a while, but even so...

Canalboatgranma Sun 29-Mar-20 12:43:07

I was going to 'boast' of my 2017 flour, but I will just slink away at the age of some this stuff.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:49:33

Don’t put any of it under a microscope?

DoraMarr Sun 29-Mar-20 12:53:25

Ha ha! Well, I’ve only lived here four years, so I can’t top any of those, but my mother’s fridge and pantry are a treasure trove of ancient things. She regards use by dates as a challenge rather than a suggestion. Last time I was there I surreptitiously threw away mayonnaise ( use by March 2014, and not kept in the fridge,) pickled onions, 2013, ditto) and various unidentifiable leftovers in dishes. The real find was a tin of golden syrup which didn’t even have a best before date, and had gone rusty on the bottom and had its lid welded by a thick crust of black goo. I think it had accompanied her on at least three house moves.

eazybee Sun 29-Mar-20 13:11:32

Jar of Schwartz Chinese Five Spice Seasoning, used once:-
1995!!!

Nannyme Sun 29-Mar-20 13:18:44

This is brilliant, keep it up. My spices date around 2009 but can’t find older except a bottle of desert wine dated 2004 but not sure that counts but also not sure it would be drinkable!

Auntieflo Sun 29-Mar-20 14:09:05

Does a bottle of Angostura Bitters count?
I can't find a BBDate, only a for figure code on the screw top.

Littleannie Sun 29-Mar-20 14:17:57

A lady at the health club, before lock down, gave me a large bottle of hand sanitizer. I thanked her profusely. When I got home I found the use by date on the bottom of the bottle- 2007.

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 14:32:42

Oooo Chewbacca, that pudding is amazing! I had one and ate over half of it (secretly, while no one was around) myself. Mmmm.

Nothing old in my cupboards. I move so often nothing gets saved.

Shrub Sun 29-Mar-20 15:22:28

I have a jar of dried lemon peel and a jar of dried red peppers (chilli) bought in 1992 when I was living abroad. I have used some from them both recently and I'm still here!

chicken Sun 29-Mar-20 15:32:10

I found a spare tier of the wedding cake I made for my son's wedding, 24 years ago, lurking at the bottom of my chest freezer. I dared myself to sample it.....and it was perfect.

Katek Sun 29-Mar-20 15:35:38

Multicoloured musical note pasta shapes c2000! Just put them in a nice glass jar as decoration as they were too nice to cook! Still there in the jar despite moving house in 2013

Marmight Sun 29-Mar-20 16:47:58

Nothing in my store cupboard out of date that I can see ?.
After my Dad died I purloined most of his booze including a bottle of Baileys which I recently came across again. I’ve never touched the stuff (bleugh) so opened it in trepidation, had a sniff and nearly vomited. Smelled like rancid cheese. He died in 2001 grin. My Grandad still had powdered eggs from WW2 in his larder when he died in 1977 I’m surprised he didn't die earlier ?

gulligranny Sun 29-Mar-20 17:39:35

A box of sugar cubes - can't find a date, but these belonged to husband before we met in 2006, so they are fairly elderly. A tin of butterbeans (2009) heaven knows why, because I hate butterbeans. There is also a Fray Bentos steak pie in a tin (2015), which I know isn't that old but it's the instruction to "remove lid before baking" that made me smile ..

BradfordLass73 Mon 30-Mar-20 05:20:43

I have a jar of Dijon mustard in my fridge which the makers say they have been proudly producing since 1747.

I suspect I may have one of the original jars.

The 'sell by' and 'best before' dates are completely black and tattered.

BBbevan Mon 30-Mar-20 05:56:55

I did find a very wizened one, date that is, under the sofa. Probably from last Christmas

Curlywhirly Mon 30-Mar-20 09:08:42

A bottle of Campari that I bought before I had children, and my eldest is 34! I really must throw it away ?

Witzend Mon 30-Mar-20 09:14:09

I’ve unearthed a part-used bag of moong beans from goodness knows when - can’t even read the best before date. I suspect I bought them aeons ago in order to try to make bean sprouts, but it’s been so long I can’t even remember a) whether I did, and b) if so, whether it worked.

Still, I’ve found a recipe for moong bean curry which sounds good - it will used up some of my cumin seeds, turmeric, ground coriander, etc., all of ancient date.

It also needs nine cloves of garlic! Just as well we won’t be breathing on anybody!

Beloulou Mon 30-Mar-20 10:50:00

At our last house move, I found a tin of mushroom soup (Campbell) with a best before date of 1984. It came with us. We still have it. I have no idea why. We moved in 1992?