Gransnet forums

Chat

Going through CDs - Which one(s) are your memory jerkers.

(69 Posts)
Lettice Wed 01-Apr-20 17:45:57

Staying in and searching through CDs, I have had an afternoon of teenage angst. Scott Walker, so beautiful, so soulful, whoever broke his heart and inspired all those sad, sad, melodies did a real job. His looks, his baritone, oh how I loved him and joined him in his wallows of lost loves that never leave you. I've had a thoroughly lovely time.

Happysexagenarian Thu 02-Apr-20 14:39:08

The Last Waltz, Englebert Humperdinck - Memories of a lovely evening with a man I loved but couldn't have.

Hey Jude, The Beatles - the first time I danced with the man I later married.

Morning has Broken - one of our wedding hymns

Been working my way through lots of old vinyl albums recently, so many memories.

Jaycee5 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:35:53

Scott Walker had a really special voice. I'll look out some YouTube videos this afternoon.
I went to Selsey for a holiday as a child which for some reason is the only one that I really remember. Everywhere we went the song Speedy Gonzales was playing. It's not something frequently played (for obvious reasons) but if I do hear it, it always brings memories back.
There are a lot of songs from the 60s onwards that I remember liking but none that really bring back anything that I particularly want to remember.

chrissyh Thu 02-Apr-20 14:35:16

A Beach Boys track reminds me of my youth and summer and carefree times.

Daddima Thu 02-Apr-20 14:25:07

My neighbour’s most prized possession is a water bottle ( Evian) which Scott Walker left behind when he stayed in a hotel she was working in!

I like to sing along, so have lots of choral music and Gilbert and Sullivan which bring back memories of when I could breathe!

gillyjp Thu 02-Apr-20 14:14:50

Lettuce I had a terrible schoolgirl crush on Scott Walker. When I heard of his death last year from cancer I was so sad. I then started to listen to some of his old songs again. So moving. However his later years he was a solo artist and his real passion was avant garde music that I didnt really enjoy. However those old hits brought back so many memories. His change physically was astonishing - I know we all age differently but where did that floppy blond haired hunk go? Not a trace of what I fell in love with as a 14 year old teenager. Ho hum..

Bijou Thu 02-Apr-20 14:01:22

Big band music from the 1930s and 40s, Henry Hall, Joe Loss, Ambrose, Benny Goodman, Jack Hylton etc. Names which many Grandnetters have never heard of.!

essjay Thu 02-Apr-20 12:44:42

Annifrance, a roxi is a music streaming device that plugs into your tv, there is a subscription but you get 1 years free with it. you can also do karioke with it

Kim19 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:40:37

Anyone remember Jo Stafford? The lilt of her voice just made me melt every time.

lilydily9 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:21:35

I was lucky enough to see the Walker Brothers play live at the London Palladium in the 60's. But my forever favourites and memory jerkers have to be the Beatles. Saw them perform live twice, fell in love with Paul McCartney and every song brings back happy memories of my teens.

nipsmum Thu 02-Apr-20 12:20:26

Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Neil Diamond. These are what take me back. They can all have me in tears at times.

NannyG123 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:07:46

I love music,but not everybody else's when I'm out. I've got earphones to use whilst out. Hubby doesn't like music much but he puts up with mine for about an hour a day,as I don't want earphones in to often, due to my tinnitus.

SillyNanny321 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:07:39

Status Quo, The Doors, Roy Harper, Leonard Cohen, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson & more Bluesmen than time to mention. Love my music.

annifrance Thu 02-Apr-20 11:59:44

PS what's a r oxi? Maybe I should get one.

annifrance Thu 02-Apr-20 11:59:03

Tom Jones from the 60s when I was a teenager. Delilah followed me around Europe, first England, Italy the next summer and Greece the year after. I can associate each of his songs to a different boy, if only I could remember who they were.

So many songs from the 60s, so many memories, too many to mention.

Annaram1 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:56:51

ELVIS, ELVIS AND MORE ELVIS!!!!

Phloembundle Thu 02-Apr-20 11:50:39

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for me.

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 11:49:05

CDs weren't invented when I was a teenager!
Although I did have 45 rpm records.

essjay Thu 02-Apr-20 11:47:46

i got a roxi for christmas so everyday i add another few favourite songs to my playlist, its great to be able to listen to your favourite tracks rather than listen to a whole album with songs that maybe you are not so keen on, it also saves having to keep changing cds. reading this thread i realise there are still some i need to add. i have a very varied list, from classical to madonna to snow patrol

tanith Thu 02-Apr-20 11:45:20

I’ve been playing old 45s and Albums on DHs record player took me a while to remember how it worked. Lots of ELO, Micheal Jackson, Mike Oldfield and of course the Beatles. Some of the memories bring me to tears.

BeenBizzy Thu 02-Apr-20 11:44:53

It's the late 50's to early 60's......pop music that was played at the roller drome in Wolverhampton.
The song... ' living doll'..... was one in particular. Over & over again. ?
We teenagers had such fun, I had very dark hair and after a roller session always went home grey
from the amount of French chalk that was well spread to keep our wheels spinning fast.
Bobby Darin and ' beyond the sea'.......it was our very first cruise, and the first music we heard after we got on board the QE2.....
Cliff Richards song ' congratulations' was sung over the phone to me when exam result were known.
It's surprising how many tunes bring back memories both happy and sad.
Now back to the house work.

Jo.

gillybob Thu 02-Apr-20 11:43:39

youtu.be/DGHjHU_Z8d8

The circle Game by Joni Mitchell . I hope the link works as I can’t listen to it just yet, I’ve got a few calls to make and don’t want to be a quivering wreck .

Coconut Thu 02-Apr-20 11:43:30

My list is endless, Motown especially .... and it really does help pass some time, reminisce and stay calm while going thro these challenging times.

olliebeak Thu 02-Apr-20 11:40:37

I'm another Scott Walker fan grin! Along with Runrig (look them up wink, Donovan, Leonard Cohen, Chris Rea, Cliff Richard, Simon and Garfunkel .................... so many of them on Cassette/CD/Video/DVD.

Mollygo Thu 02-Apr-20 11:26:53

Leeds22 -some of my favourites too.

Tedd1 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:25:30

You'll never walk alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers and Pretty Flamingo by Manfred Man
We were due to see the Manfreds later this year so hopefully it will be rescheduled.
Great band if you get the chance. They are as good as they were in the 60's