Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy Theories

(158 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:37:59

During this worrying time a number of conspiracy theories are emerging so which ones, if any, do you believe? Some I have heard are:

The virus has been manufactured and released

By China (for what reason is unclear)

By a group of businessmen wanting to take over the world

By a mad billionare who wants to infect as many people as possible and then sell the cure and make a fortune

By various governments who will eventually state everyone has to have a chip inserted under their skin which will enable them to control and enslave us

Daisymae Sat 04-Apr-20 13:59:32

Yes, there's a lot of panic inducing headlines in the DM which they need to stop, but I was referring to a well written, thoughtful article.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 13:11:43

I think Gransnet has been infiltrated by a fifth column of millennials whose aim is to sow the seeds of dissention and distrust into our midst so that we, the great grey panthers, don't turn our wrath upon them and demand the rights and recognitions that should come to us for being older and wiser.

We should join forces against this onslaught by forming the BTDTGTT (Been there, done that, got the teeshirt) and point out to the little blighters that there's nothing new in the world. It's only new to them as they have so little life experience. United we stand, divided we fall!

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:49:53

No sodapop not at all

sodapop Sat 04-Apr-20 12:34:48

Not intended to be at all provocative then Oldwoman ?

Firecracker123 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:53:47

Oh my... must be wonderful to know it all lol.

Franbern Sat 04-Apr-20 10:47:35

Oh my....anybody even reading anything in the DM, is just reading fake news and panic news.

Daisymae Sat 04-Apr-20 10:27:43

Conspiracy or not there's an interesting and we'll written article in the Mail today about China's stated aim to world leadership. They are well on the way.

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:09:39

I started this thread to point out how ridiculous these conspiracy theories are - most posters have taken the thread as it was intended - with humour.

sodapop Sat 04-Apr-20 08:52:29

There is no need to be quite so rude jennymolly & petalpop. I thought we were free on GN to have an opinion but apparently not.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 07:59:15

I like your GS thinking. He's right. There could be a giant spider lurking inside the tap just waiting for some unexpecting 4 year olds hands to come into view then..BAM!!!...it drops down and runs up his arm inside his shirt.

I know that big spiders lie in wait for children. When I was little our school had outside toilets and huge spiders would hide behind the cistern (which was high on the wall) and wait until some innocent child got settled to the point where he/she couldn't move then they would drop onto the child. An experienced spider could drop straight down the neck of a child and get inside the clothing.

Artdecogran Sat 04-Apr-20 00:00:00

Another conspiracy vocalised by my 4 year old GS, when being asked if he wanted to wash his hands, he refused, saying ‘it could be a trap’. Bet you didn’t know washing your hands could be a trap to catch you. Wonder who is holding the traps.

Txquiltz Fri 03-Apr-20 23:00:35

"Fred did it". That is as plausible as all the theories.

ValerieF Fri 03-Apr-20 21:33:36

Am not one to go along with conspiracy theories but...just saying...did anyone watch the film Contagion? Which was filmed like ten years ago? Was on t.v. recently. Uncanny how it mirrored today's events! Even down to it starting in China from bats! Premonition? or what? It cleverly showed how it spread throughout the world. It was scary but the ending did give hope so worth a watch if you feel like some 'light' entertainment ha ha

MaizieD Fri 03-Apr-20 21:03:56

I've enjoyed reading this thread, but this article is a bit sobering. This is what happens when people believe in a conspiracy theory, particularly if it's endorsed by a minor celeb:

www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/03/broadband-engineers-threatened-due-to-5g-coronavirus-conspiracies?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Thelastemperor Fri 03-Apr-20 19:30:18

Mother Nature's plan for dealing with the world's overpopulation !!!

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Apr-20 18:02:50

Marjgran, I didn't infer that conspiracy theories have anything to do with inventions. I said closed minds could prevent invention.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 17:53:24

To whom are you speaking jennymolly? The spoof ones are quite entertaining, which is a good thing isn't it? smile
The others can be ignored if you don't like them surely?

True Petalpop!! grin

4allweknow .. tongue in cheek??

Bluecat Fri 03-Apr-20 17:27:00

Scientists predicted that the next pandemic would begin in the wet markets of China, so no surprises there.

Incidentally, did you know that armadillos are the only animals which incubate leprosy? No, me neither, until my DD told me when she was studying armadillo brains. They eat armadillos in Central America. Just thought I would throw that in.

Franbern Fri 03-Apr-20 17:19:33

Must say that reading through this thread gave me some of the biggest laughs for ages. I am dumbfounded that anyone could take any of these fantastical stories and thing of them in any other way Alarmed by the racism some of them seem to be spitting out.

GagaJo Fri 03-Apr-20 17:16:43

Onelifeletsliveit, I am part of a vulnerable group PLUS am a teacher so am working from home. Not to mention that two people in my household have had symptoms which could well be the virus, so there is no way anyone out of my house could safely be around the vulnerable elderly.

The reason the thread is called conspiracy theories is because most of us don't actually believe them.

Finally, don't tell me what to do. Get out and get busy if you're so important. The arrogance!

T56ers Fri 03-Apr-20 17:15:30

I wouldn't like to speculate too much. However, I'm sure we will end up with, amongst other restrictions and erosion of our civil liberties, a low level of martial law (with the potential of heightening whenever "they" feel the need to), even more surveillance than we have now, and a cashless society.

Elegran Fri 03-Apr-20 16:57:57

Re claiming that it can't be the Chinese, who wouldn't start it off in their back garden - NOBODY would start off a lethal virus in their own back garden - the whole point about a global virus is that it is - er - global . They'd have to be seriously dim to think that a good idea.

It must have been the Martians - they are far enough away to avoid getting annihilated themselves. I can't imagine a motive, though. They wouldn't want our planet, they'd want something with different conditions. Could they be planning to build a motorway through it, but don't want the cost of compensating us for the compulsory purchase?

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 16:40:42

How do you interpret silence as selfishness?

I could tell you what I did yesterday but I'm not bragging about it.

Petalpop Fri 03-Apr-20 16:34:26

What a load of crap some people talk.

Onelifeletsliveit Fri 03-Apr-20 16:30:44

Greymar. Can’t say it’s not exhausting which is why I keep trying to tell people to get up off there arses and do something constructive too. I find the selfishness on here absolutely staggering so I think I’m going to walk away. There are so many on here that could help others, but what do they do, get online and go scaremongering. Unbelievable.