Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever put things in a safe place

(89 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:57:08

Anyone ever put important items in a safe place. Then discovered you have forgotten where you hid them lol or is it just me.

Keeper1 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:17:31

I can’t find a pair of long curtains ?

Pattie47 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:03:47

I did exactly the same with my stamps....still haven't found their safe place 2 years on!

Craftycat Sun 05-Apr-20 12:49:02

Oh all the time! I always hide things before we go on holiday just in case we get burgled- always an optimist!!
Every year we come back to find I have forgotten where they are. Last year I wrote down where they were & lost the note ( found in November in the shelf under the coffee table!!)
At least I got my nice earrings back in time for Christmas.

Youcantchoosethem Sun 05-Apr-20 12:44:26

I do this far too often!! Always losing what I have put somewhere safe.....

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:31:00

I used too, and like everyone never could remember where the safe place was.

I should have been warned as my mother was even worse than I.

I now have two safe places, and can remember where they are.

Yellowmellow Sun 05-Apr-20 12:26:25

Yep...last summer had some fencing building work and decorating done. I got some money out in case the workmen wanted some money up front for materials which they didnt. Recently been unpacking stuff to go back into my bedroom after work was done in there and in a box l've found the money. A real shock as.l never leave that sort of money in the house but also a nice surprise as that makes me well on the way to new sofas for my lounge.

Nannyknee Sun 05-Apr-20 12:15:24

My husband put the back door key in a safe place 5 years ago, we have
never found it and had to change the lock

Conni7 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:57:30

I'm still looking for the silver we hid about ten years ago before going on holiday.

Aepgirl Sun 05-Apr-20 11:47:50

All the time. Usually if I am going away for a few days ‘I’ll pop it in there until I get back’. Perhaps all this tidying up to pass the time will turn up all sorts of things.

Beanie654321 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:44:25

I have been banned from buying christmas presents early as I'm still finding last years yet again. My grandsons have christmas presents all year long. Hubby says hes now fed up with it. Well if you buy some thing in the sales and it puts a smile on their faces does it matter? Wont tell him of the remote control cars stashed in attic, just need to remember them. ?

ecci53 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:41:56

We've got a Google Home (same sort of thing as Alex, only better). We tell it to remember where we have put things, date we bought appliances etc, so we just ask it when we want to find something and can't remember where it is. It works brilliantly.

Esmerelda Sun 05-Apr-20 11:41:45

Oh yes, I think we all have! smile

Roni Sun 05-Apr-20 11:35:46

I do it all the time. Then I get worried and frustrated when I can't find where I have hidden it.
It is a standing joke with my children who often say 'Mum please don't put it in a safe place'

b1zzle Sun 05-Apr-20 11:34:00

I blame 'The Borrowers'. They make their homes in our 'safe places' then bewitch our minds.

Rosina Sun 05-Apr-20 11:28:57

newnanny that is absolutely me - there must be at least five or six really appropriate cards for family members that I have bought over the years , tucked away for the big day and then can't find them. I bought one for a dear aunt and couldn't find it in time for her birthday and have moved house twice and still not found it!

jocork Sun 05-Apr-20 11:27:19

More than once my elderly MiL has convinced herself she's been burgled. We suspect she has hidden things and can't remember where they are but she has had the police round more than once!

SusiQ8 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:25:15

I once went to the Post Office And berated them about some money missing from my account. I repeatedly told them that I hadn’t withdrawn it And it was their mistake. About a year later I was looking for something on the bookshelf and discovered, behind a photo frMe, the £100 I had been banking on about. I felt suitably ashamed. I’m always putting things in safe places then forgetting where I’ve put them. Granny23 I think you have a brilliant solution!

Betty18 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:20:30

I decided before a holiday to hide all my jewellery. Great idea !! I got home and didn’t even think about it for a few weeks , ,but when I decided I needed a change of rings etc I realised I couldn’t remember where I’d put the blinking stuff.
Six months later and turning the house upside down still nowhere to be seen.
In the end I booked a session with a hypnotherapist and although nothing came out during the session within two days I’d found the jewellery. It was strange as I didn’t get a memory as such , just found myself wandering to particular area in the house and laying hands on them straight away. Brilliant !

knspol Sun 05-Apr-20 11:13:47

I have a great b'day book/folder a friend bought me years ago and it has a pouch for each month as well as a monthly calendar to write down people's names. If I ever see cards I like then I buy them and put them in the appropriate months folder. So useful, I've often looked for more of these to give other people but have been unable to find any.

Quizzer Sun 05-Apr-20 11:12:15

Isn't it exciting when you find something "in a safe place" that you had completely forgotten about. When you go away (if you ever do again!) try putting cards etc somewhere that you are bound to find, like inside your most used lidded saucepan.

Theoddbird Sun 05-Apr-20 11:08:31

I do it a lot. A year ago I bought a lovely file to put all by boat paperwork in plus car stuff. A year on and I haven't a clue where I put it. I never took it out of the bag I know. My boat and car stuff is still in various places. Took me sges to find csr stuff for taxing the other day as it wasn't where I thought I had put it.
My living space is 57ft by 6ft 10ins so how do I lose things...sighs Wanders off contemplating life the universe and everything and everything >>>

Fennel Sun 05-Apr-20 11:08:08

Just when the lockdown started a crown came off one of my front teeth.
Dentists all closed.
Luckily I still have the crown, it's in an envelope on my desk. I know that if I hide it away I''ll forget where I put it.
So I'm reluctant to smile too much because of the gap.

Sparkles Sun 05-Apr-20 11:05:59

But you all miss the point here - if you cant find it then no-one can - so it is safe -

Caro57 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:05:59

DD and I both forgot where DGD birthday present is hidden. I, eventually, found it under a bed here- DGD will be getting it late as we can’t get to her!!

Flakesdayout Sun 05-Apr-20 11:03:14

Oh I do it all the time. I hid some jewellery as I had a moment thinking if someone broke in I would lose it., Well I did. I was about to accuse some poor soul when I came across it. I hid a favourite ring and 'lost' it for months. I even put some money in a lavender bag. Didn't find it for over a year later. (Nice surprise tho). I now have a Memo on my phone for where I have now hidden things, and told my Son how to get into it.