Gransnet forums

Chat

Don’t want to be offended ... but I am!

(133 Posts)
NanNanCake Mon 06-Apr-20 18:12:55

Ok I know my neighbour was being kind, ok I know when you’re in your 30s being in your (very early !!)50s is old - And I don’t want to be offended by them putting a note through my door that if I needed help walking my dog or with food shopping during the corona virus they were here and willing to help - but hey I am !
Am I officially old ?? Sorry I know I should be more generous just wasn’t ready to think of myself as needing that sort of help yet

B9exchange Mon 06-Apr-20 18:16:12

It might be nothing to do with your age, how are they to know whether or not you are self isolating, in which case you cannot shop, walk the dog etc?

SueDonim Mon 06-Apr-20 18:20:37

We’re the oldest people in our street and no one has offered to do anything for us! I could be offended but I choose not to be. smile

H1954 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:21:03

Don't knock it NanNanCake! I'm the other end of the scale.........because I don't advertise my underlying medical conditions everyone assumes I'm as fit as a butchers dog; even the very needy bloke next door who's actually younger than me, is very breathless and smokes like a bloody chimney! We now refer to him as Mr Woe ( woe is me )

dogsmother Mon 06-Apr-20 18:25:38

I do recall being a youthful 20 thinking how old a 32 year old colleague was and I wasn’t really looking forward to being so old ............

NanNanCake Mon 06-Apr-20 18:26:17

B9exchange Very true !

SueDonim , good advice to choose not to worry - think all this lockdown is getting to me !

H1954 hahaha love it !

Doodle Mon 06-Apr-20 18:27:46

I’d be grateful that they are decent enough people to care about their neighbours.

Harris27 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:28:10

Well I’m 60 and still working when I’m allowed to back after lockdown and one of the dads I work with text me and asked if I needed anything actually I was pleased and touched by it didn’t take offence !

EllanVannin Mon 06-Apr-20 18:51:13

It's like the blind leading the blind where I am grin

Liaise Mon 06-Apr-20 18:57:29

We are all old in this street.

NanaandGrampy Mon 06-Apr-20 18:58:47

I'm sorry you were offended NanNanCake but if you look at it from the other side you should feel pleased that they liked you enough to offer. Maybe feel comforted by them offering to watch out for you?

Many people old and not so old have NO ONE who give s a fig if they live or die.

Take it in the spirit I'm sure it was intended as a kindness .

silverlining48 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:01:18

If our younger neighbours 40s and 50s had asked if we are ok I would have been touched and grateful.

Grammaretto Mon 06-Apr-20 19:05:31

I joke that I have to tell people my age in case they assume I'm much older. Younger folk have no clue as to ages.
I would grab that neighbour with both hands (metaphorically)
NanNanCake How kind to offer.
I had a call today from a very young man, 21, 22? who asked me what shopping I needed. He volunteers at the local store.
I gave him a list and he left it on my doorstep.
I don't know how to repay him. I'll pay for the food online.
People want to help and I see my part as learning to accept kindness gracefully.

SirChenjin Mon 06-Apr-20 19:25:24

Crikey - Id take them up on their very kind offer and send them off to Sainsbury’s with a shopping list! grin

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 19:26:34

We've had offers of help but it's sobering to realise we're vulnerable elderly.

The neighbours are in the main only a bit younger than us, though, there are only a couple of younger 40 somethings here.
Someone also came from the local FB group offering to help if we need anything.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:30:20

I wouldn’t even think about my age,goodness me that’s the last thing I’d be thinking, first and only thought would be what a lovely kind neighbour I have. Asking if I needed any help.

Baggs Mon 06-Apr-20 19:31:13

"God loves a grateful receiver".

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 19:36:33

Oh, I am a very grateful receiver
They are all very kind

kittylester Mon 06-Apr-20 19:54:54

Our next door neighbour text and offered help if we needed it and also the situation of the neighbours. She was at school with dd2 so knows how old we are. I doubt any of us will ask?

Toadinthehole Mon 06-Apr-20 20:00:19

To a thirty year old, anyone over about 35 is old! I really wouldn’t worry.

Fiachna50 Mon 06-Apr-20 20:07:15

It's a nice thing they did and if you ever have to self isolate, their offer may prove useful. If you see them Id thank them.

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Apr-20 20:12:09

Did they just put a note through your door? Some people around here are putting notes through all the doors in their immediate area.

Floradora9 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:26:55

You are very lucky I wish we had such kind neighbours. I have had to ask a complete stranger , who has put herself forward to help, to get my prescription from the chemist.

Grammaretto Mon 06-Apr-20 22:25:54

I'm glad you got your prescription
Floradora9
I was anxious about getting mine because it's hard to expect someone to queue at the pharmacy although you know if you could do it for someone, you would. smile
We are not used to being the vulnerable ones.

Luckygirl Mon 06-Apr-20 22:29:53

That is very kind of them. There are many kind people round here too. A friend of mine had a food box delivered entirely unexpectedly - and as it happens unnecessarily - but she loved the kindness behind it.