Gransnet forums

Chat

Don’t want to be offended ... but I am!

(134 Posts)
NanNanCake Mon 06-Apr-20 18:12:55

Ok I know my neighbour was being kind, ok I know when you’re in your 30s being in your (very early !!)50s is old - And I don’t want to be offended by them putting a note through my door that if I needed help walking my dog or with food shopping during the corona virus they were here and willing to help - but hey I am !
Am I officially old ?? Sorry I know I should be more generous just wasn’t ready to think of myself as needing that sort of help yet

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 07-Apr-20 15:49:10

What on earth has age got to do about offering someone some help, regardless of the situation at the moment? .
Kindness is kindness.
Some people don't even know their neighbours, young middle aged or old.
How ungrateful to be "offended".

Florida12 Tue 07-Apr-20 15:49:05

I am sure they meant well. I would be grateful that somebody cares

grandtanteJE65 Tue 07-Apr-20 15:43:08

Grammaretto; could you ring the store and ask them to give him an Easter egg from you and add the price to your next load of groceries?

As he is volunteering he won't be expecting anything, but we all do like to feel appreciated.

hulahoop Tue 07-Apr-20 15:42:23

Where I Live there as been no offers luckily our Dd and partner are doing ours but most neighbours are going shopping even though they are well over 70 ?My Dd can't do anymore she as small children and is working from home and he is a key worker

Sadgrandma Tue 07-Apr-20 15:02:56

NanNan Cake, I know how you feel, I am 74 but still 35 in my head! The first time I was offered a seat on a train I was horrified, although I hope I didn't show it. My husband and I are still quite fit and able to go shopping once a week but we have had lots of people asking if we need any help. Even our plumber emailed to ask if we needed anything which I thought was very sweet. We don't need anything yet but who knows. So try to be grateful that you have nice neighbours, you might need them or they might even need you. This virus is a great leveller isn't it.

Sunflower48 Tue 07-Apr-20 14:56:13

I don’t think anybody is trying to figure out your age. You must have a lot of time on your hands to waste it being offended by a kind offer. What is happening is that society is healing itself in certain quarters, not all I admit. People of all ages are taking note of people other than themselves. My granddaughter is shopping for me and she has to spend hours queuing to be let shop.
You should be thankful that someone offered to help. Why are people always moaning !!!!!

Naty Tue 07-Apr-20 14:42:46

Don't be offended. They're just being kind. If you are single and live alone, they are just trying to be a support system. Everybody needs somebody.

Minerva Tue 07-Apr-20 14:28:08

Beyond me why you would be offended, especially since you know it was kindly meant. People of all ages are isolating for one reason or another. I would be touched not offended.

SueWll Tue 07-Apr-20 14:22:48

I remember when minis came out and I saw an old woman with a baby in a pram wearing a mini skirt. I thought it was awful. She must have been all of 25!
Same thing really. We're all old to those 10 years younger than us.

Cosmo14 Tue 07-Apr-20 14:17:46

I am self isolating due to various health conditions, I moved into a new house on February 12th and know nobody, I would be so grateful for people offering a helping hand, please don't be offended look on it as a fractured society healing in places

Graygirl Tue 07-Apr-20 14:13:07

One of our neighbours was very shocked when she was told my DH is in shielded group asked why as he looked fine to her and not that old. Asked wrong person 17 year old GD she got told .

ElaineRI55 Tue 07-Apr-20 14:12:21

My daughter (39 and a doctor), gathered emails/phone numbers for everyone in her street (lots over 70) saying folk could email the group if they needed help and some of the younger/fitter ones would get shopping, prescriptions etc.
When we had gone over to drop off something my daughter needed (a few weeks ago), we had just dropped the stuff off on her doorstep and got back in the car when a gentleman in his eighties came along. He went and knocked on my daughter's door. As she was out, I got out the car and called over to ask if I could help.
He said he was from 3 doors up and had got her message, but he wouldn't be able to help to get shopping as he didn't keep very well and was just letting her know.
When I explained it was to provide a means for anyone in the street to get help, not just for those who were able to give the help , he looked so relieved and his face broke into a huge smile. He was very grateful!

SirChenjin Tue 07-Apr-20 13:57:01

That was very nice of your 2 neighbours smile

4allweknow Tue 07-Apr-20 13:55:52

We are the oldest in our area of 120 houses and had two offers of help should we be 'stuck'. One was from a nurse who has a toddler, husband works and they
share childminding, don't think I would be asking them to help, other is from a stay at home mum who just never seems to know what day it is so that is a non starter. Think we would be dead behind doors and no one would notice. All to busy playing music and clapping for key workers!

Sparklefizz Tue 07-Apr-20 13:55:06

Offended? You're joking, right? Someone is kind and helpful which is wonderful. Being offended is a choice! Choose to be pleased and grateful instead. smile

GrannieIggle Tue 07-Apr-20 13:40:51

I am so lucky and grateful. The day before the lockdown was announced, 3 neighbours contacted me to ask how they could help. Then others have popped up to offer help too. Some of whom are the same age or older than me! I was very touched and full of gratitude.

maureen118 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:37:42

your neighbours may have offered to help because you live on your own? or possibly they hope you will offer to help them if they need to self isolate. where I live people of all different ages are helping young and older neighbours .... nothing to do with age .. just being good neighbours.

50RR Tue 07-Apr-20 13:36:10

Definitely very kind. My dad is 86, lives alone and not a single person knocked on his door. I go down once a week and leave him his food supply and phone every other day. Good neighbours are hard to come bye no matter your age.

Daisymae Tue 07-Apr-20 13:24:51

They have reached out to you with the spirit of good neighbors so I think that you should respond in kind. No one knows when they may need assistance and age is really nothing to do with it. You should acknowledge their thoughtfulness when you are able to.

Mamma66 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:17:14

I am 53 and apart from being very overweight considered myself fit and well. In February I came down with two viruses in quick succession (I now think the second infection was Coronavirus but this hasn’t been confirmed). I was not treated for either virus and one/both had a catastrophic effect on my health. I have been left with heart failure and am awaiting a rather alarming medical procedure in which my heart will be stopped under sedation and restarted to get it back into rhythm. It has been a hard lesson in not taking your health for granted. I am now one of those people would be classed as vulnerable - not how I saw myself at all. So I will never again make assumptions and be thankful of any offers of support

Caramac Tue 07-Apr-20 13:16:24

We did all the shopping for my 30 yr old DD and her family unit as they were self isolating. Now DD is back at work she has kindly offered to help with shopping and dog walking for a couple of neighbours as they have no family. I think she’s really kind as she is a full-time frontline nhs worker and she would be upset if she had offended her neighbours.

Lulu16 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:03:56

That is wonderful having offers of help, it shows that there are kind people out there.
I am sure it is nothing to do with age at all.....

aonk Tue 07-Apr-20 13:01:37

I think it was a thoughtful gesture. You need to remember that we never know when we might need help whatever our age. My very agile and youthful friend had spent all winter in her house after a nasty break to her leg and knee. She was so grateful for the help of neighbours.

Katek Tue 07-Apr-20 12:55:50

This is when I’m really glad to be living in a village. Our residents’ group put out a leaflet to every house just before lockdown giving a number for people to call if they were struggling with prescription collection, groceries from village shop or even just needed a phone call. We have a group of healthier and younger volunteers, so we put out the request on our private WhatsApp group and someone will pick up on the task. I’ve been looking after the phone line and I’m pleased to say that we’ve only had 12 requests in over two weeks and 2 of them were from people volunteering. The village is being wonderfully supportive of neighbours and friends and we’re here as a backup if needed.

3nanny6 Tue 07-Apr-20 12:39:59

Shirls52000; Well done for getting back to work at a time when the country needs you. It sounds like you are in the London area so that is some distance from me. I am in Buckinghamshire but if I was nearer I would certainly help out to walk your dogs.
Put the word about and I am sure you will find some help, maybe send some e-mails to some of those people that do professional dog-walking and I think they would be happy to help you out (free of charge) in exchange for what you are doing right now.