Gransnet forums

Chat

What is self-isolation teaching you?

(37 Posts)
quizqueen Wed 08-Apr-20 14:53:45

That I'm so glad I live in the countryside in a nice house with a large garden; that was always my priority. I was born on a council estate to a working class family in a large grimy town so it wasn't always that way so I made the right choices and worked hard to get out of it and am now reaping the rewards.

craftyone Wed 08-Apr-20 14:50:37

It is not teaching me anything except it is reiterating the fact that me, making a short list for every following day is a good thing. It gives me focus every morning, I write down my basic meals and basic jobs or hobby work. It started doing this after my husband died 5 years ago and it gives me a good positive structure to my day. I wake early every day and finish structured things by 2pm when I sit and relax with knitting and radio or reading. I go to bed each day knowing that I have achieved something with my day. Self isolation has been a good test

I was never a twinset and purls woman, meeting others for tea. I am quite happy being on my own

SheilaS Wed 08-Apr-20 14:45:50

How I miss my hairdresser!

BlueSky Wed 08-Apr-20 14:40:23

As I'm not a social animal it doesn't make much difference. Perhaps the fact that we are limited in what we do upsets me a little. But no I haven't learnt any lessons.

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 14:39:49

That having lived in Developing World countries has given me more resilience that I ever imagined. We’ve lived under forms of lockdown before and know what it’s like to have your freedom curtailed, so this is a bit deja vu for me and I’m grateful for that lesson.

In many ways, although the virus itself is a horrible thing, it’s shown the positives about life. People I know are just keeping on keeping on in the best way they can and are being kind to each other. At the same time, I’m also aware that we are very, very fortunate to be holed up in decent circumstances.

I’ve also learnt that two of my neighbours never use tinned tomatoes! confusedgrin

kittylester Wed 08-Apr-20 14:38:26

That I hate housework and appreciate our cleaner much more!!

That I like to keep busy but I am not very motivated when it comes to making myself busy so I need 'things' in my diary.

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 14:33:57

Nothing so far, life goes on as usual, just doing things through Zoom instead of face to face meetings. It is saving me a fortune in petrol.

AGAA4 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:31:25

Finding that I am fine on my own. Was always out and about
but it is relaxing knowing I don't need to go anywhere and I am alright with that.
I am exercising more and no more coffee and cake with friends in town so maybe eating healthier.
There are positives in every situation.

Susan56 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:17:03

I am learning to be more tolerant too.I have had to work on it believe me!
I also have such respect for all the people going to work to keep everything going and for the volunteers who could stay safely at home but instead are out in the community helping the vulnerable.
I am also really appreciating our home and garden.We are usually rushing around and while we keep on top of things it is nice to spend time appreciating what we have and enjoying sitting in the garden appreciating the beauty around us.

BBbevan Wed 08-Apr-20 14:09:51

Patience

loopyloo Wed 08-Apr-20 14:07:27

That I have very little self discipline.......

b1zzle Wed 08-Apr-20 13:56:32

I think I'm learning to appreciate the real value of friends; to not be so hard on myself; to be more tolerant, patient & kind in future and have a new and greater respect for all those who are selflessly keeping this country running at the moment; how much a hug means; to slow down and appreciate every minute of each day and that it's ok to cry sometimes. How about you?