Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Thu 09-Apr-20 06:11:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light but looking a bit grey here in Brackley .
Today, join the que again, small shop.
I am starting to miss my days out, but I am keeping in mind when the time comes how many more weeks away that will be as we seem not to obey , on some of the rulings.
Gather more restrictions will be made after Easter .
Mick

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 09:42:36

We will Grammaretto. I know this sounds, well, a bit religious (I’m not) but doing without for 2 days makes me realise how very fortunate most of us are in life. We can buy whatever we need when we want it. Some poor souls are not so lucky. I’ve only got to get by till Saturday. Now there’s a thought to hold onto this Easter!

EV that comment made me giggle!

Marydoll regards disappearing posts, I feel your pain! The WiFi signal out here can be a bit hit & miss and in the past I’ve lost quite a few. However, not any more. I’ve worked out how to copy & paste when, at first I’d tried and it didn’t work which was SO frustrating!

Basically if I can explain it okay - when my post was just sitting there and the signal wheel was whirring and deciding whether or not to allow my message to post, or fling it into the ether I tried several times, without luck to C&P. Now?

While the message is there, before pressing ‘send’ I go to the beginning and press down. Nothing apart from ‘select’ and ‘select all’ but then I double tapped (after doing the first press) and voila!! An option to ‘copy’ came up. I highlighted the text (it turns blue) and then selected ‘copy’.

If my message didn’t send when I pressed the GN ‘send’ button, I just did ‘add comment’ again, tapped one letter to activate a message then tapped the box and pressed ‘paste’. I then delete the added alphabet letter at the start.

I’m hoping y’all can understand my meaning here?

I’d never make a teacher!
?

gillybob Thu 09-Apr-20 09:36:37

Good morning from the NE coast where it is very grey. Such a disappointment after yesterday’s sunshine.

My gas man has promised that he will be here this afternoon with the parts to finally fix my leak . Unfortunately that means having another person in the house but what can I do ? It’s quite difficult to manage without a hob and this could go on for a long time yet. I have a plan of how I will let him in, wipe down when he leaves etc. And I will make sure Mr stays upstairs well out of the way until he has been and gone .

I did a big shop for my dad yesterday (only once a week these days) and managed to get everything on his list . I get so panicky with the arrows on the floor and not going the wrong way that I ended up not getting half of my own shopping I’m sure as hell not going back so we will make do with what we have which is a heck of a lot more than you Urmstongran oh dear...just open that wine .

I Had a long chat with DS on the phone last night and we compared moons . He only lives a little down the East coast but it looked so different . He seemed a bit calmer than of late but they are really feeling the financial pinch. I wish we were in a position to help out but we are in the same (well probably worse) boat .

Usual walk around the lake and along the beach yesterday tea time and the only people I saw were police officers .....a police car in the park with one officer sitting in the driving seat and another leaning in. When they saw me they nearly died and moved to a “safe distance” I’m sure one of them smirked as I walked past . Not a very good example tutt tutt tutt The beach was deserted as usual and once again I had that awful feeling of being the only person left in the world . It’s hard to describe but it’s quite upsetting.

How did your DH’s scan go yesterday Grammaretto ? Did they tell you anything ?

Now to sit back and catch up with this lovely thread . Thinking about all my lovely Gransnet friends.

Love Gillybob x

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:26:58

Oh Urmstongran flipping heck ?

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 09:25:33

Marydoll, please be careful with yourself. No wonder your poor DH worries, as he obviously is doing. x

Grammaretto Thu 09-Apr-20 09:24:34

Good morning from the Scottish Borders where it's dull.
Urmston, after you have been so generous to all your neighbours too, can't you shout for help?
SiL went to Aldi after 8pm thinking it would be open till 10pm as usual. It wasn't so his hour round trip was wasted - Scottish Highlands, single track road....

DH had his scan yesterday but we weren't impressed by the shielding at the hospital. Minimum precautions IMO. At least I wasn't allowed in, which was good.

Thursday normally is my day for myself when I have nothing planned. Guess what! It's going to be a normal Thursday.

curleywurly I loved the idea of looking for dirty clothes so you could hang out washing. I may do the same.

Have as good a day as you can. Enjoy your rations Urmston

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 09:24:07

Urmston, your predicament sounds like the conversation between two tramps---" if we had some eggs we'd have egg and bacon if we had some bacon ", not funny I know but couldn't help but smile at the way we manage to rustle something up from nothing.

harrigran Thu 09-Apr-20 09:17:55

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Have not sent cards or Easter eggs to GC this year, the post is erratic and when we get any it seems to be all in one delivery, must be saving it up to make it worth the effort.
My sister, in Germany, is apparently enjoying nice walks out in the sunshine and having coffee with her husband after doing the shopping.
Stay safe.

Mapleleaf Thu 09-Apr-20 09:16:23

Good morning all,

I haven’t read everyone’s posts yet, but just wanted to say a quick hello before my Pilates class begins. Will read the rest later.

Made the simnel cake yesterday so will decorate it today. Also got into the garden for a bit of tidying. It was such a gorgeous day. It’s quite a bit duller and cooler this morning.

Hope those of you having wobbles or feeling worried or unwell, have a better day today.

Take care everyone and keep safe. ?

Marydoll Thu 09-Apr-20 09:00:47

Good morning all, it's raining here in Glasgow, so I don't want to hear how beautiful it is elsewhere! grin.
I'm quite glad, as it means my hayfever won't be so bad.

I have a terrible cough and DH thinks I have the virus. I have tried to tell him that it is an asthma flare up, which I get at this time every years, it's just that for the last 40+ years, he hasn't noticed! ?. Anyway, I haven't had contact from anyone, but him for the last six weeks and he hasn't been out either. Does he think the virus flew in the window, yet another of his conspiracy theories.
My neighbour told me not to go into my garden, as I have lots of trees, as the virus could be living in them.
I will need to be like Harry Potter and live in the cupboard under the stairs, if I listen to everyone!

curlywhirly, thanks for your kind words about my SIL. I do think it is a combination of grief and perhaps early Alzheimers. She reminds me of both my mum and MIL's behaviour, both had Alzheimers.
By the time I finished posting here yesterday, I had three long messages on my phone and then an hour long phone call.
My SIL hadn't slept all night, worrying that she would give me the virus, if I tried to fix her phone. It's her lifeline to her son in London and she was getting so upset. sad.
In the afternoon, I got another message, yet another Kindle had been delivered! ?

DD has gone for my shopping and said taht the queue for ASda was snaking around the centre.
She has my electronic shopping list and I can hear it pinging as she works her way round. Anything she can't get, she will send to DD and she will carry on the list.
That's my kind of technology! grin
The bonus buy is that I will get a chance to see my wee granddaughter, albeit at a safe distance, strapped in her car seat. Such joy! ?

I have forgotten to plan my maths lesson today, naughty step for me! sad.
I will have to plagiarise borrow one from the internet! wink.

This is my second attempt at posting! Just be grateful the first one disappeared. it was verrrr?rry long!

For those of you with sunshine sunshine, enjoy, the rest of us will just have to be envious from afar. envy
Urmston, I hope you manage to get food somewhere. ??
Have the best day you can everyone, in these trying times.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 09:00:28

Good Morning All x.
Lovely red sunrise again---I could get used to this weather it helps a lot during these difficult times.

Keeping an eye on local live reports in my particular area and because it's remained pretty well deserted for a while----nothing unusual really, there are fortunately no cases.

Besides family help I got an offer of help yesterday from a young chap who's been re-building his house. He's not far from me and loves his fast cars too. I thought it was so kind of him, not what you'd expect although we've spoken on a few occasions over the past 3/4 years. A promise of a glass of champagne when his project is finished ! Made my day grin.

No use putting the bins out tonight, they're on strike, oh dear, good job there's an extra bin to use. Just hope the weather doesn't get hotter !
Not a lot on the cards as usual, motivation is a bit up and down but there are those in a worse state.

I can't get to the bank unless by bus or taxi and I'm not prepared to use either . I've got no cash in the house and haven't drawn anything for weeks---no ATM's around. Obviously I can't go out and spend but I feel a bit panicky without cash. You don't realise how such small things can get you down. I should worry !! Sorry for moaning.

As usual, hope everyone's staying well and not too wobbly.xx

Anniebach Thu 09-Apr-20 08:53:42

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Sunshine in Mid Wales

conor Thu 09-Apr-20 08:50:24

Good morning from sunny Essex. I can't believe this beautiful weather but when I looked for some suntan lotion yesterday, I realised I had thrown it out at the end of last year!! Another gardening day today after work out and Yoga and brunch. Does that leave me much time? But time seems something we all have quite a lot of now!!
Urmstongran you did make me smile with the closed supermarket!! Do let us know how you managed☺️
Hope everyone can enjoy that sunshine xxx

Pantglas2 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:50:18

A late-for-me good morning from dry and bright north Wales - couldn’t get to sleep fir ages and now I’m running late (for what I don’t know!)

I’ll have a shower and a pedicure this morning and will paint my toe nails as it is officially sandals weather - forecast is dry for next two weeks so that’s to be grateful for.

DH is being very productive in the garden - one wooden sunbed and two planter troughs with wide sills for a mug or glass, to sit either side of front garden bench. This is where we sit and enjoy a cuppa/cocktail and shout to the neighbours!

Oh urmstongran I’m planning a tapas evening tomorrow with left over paella, albondigas, chorizo and olives - you’re welcome to partake!

Stay well everyone and may your wobbles be little uns!

Brunette10 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:49:46

It's cloudy and chilly today here in Fife hmm. Been enjoying our nice weather but hey ho nothing lasts forever. Urmstongran what a shame for you, you will have to tread carefully with the supplies you have. Will go to M & S food store today so replenish bread and milk, have the freezer full of food so that will keep us going for another wee while. Posted Easter Cards yesterday for DGS's I hope they get them, the post seems to be a bit slow at the moment. Thinking of those with extra worries today, look after yourselves, stay safe.

brook2704 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:32:10

Aggghhh Urmstongran you might have to open the wine after all ! ?

dragonfly46 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:32:02

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Had my veg box and artisan bread delivered yesterday. It was very exciting as I never know what veg I am getting so it makes me creative.

Poor you Urmston my day revolves around what we are going to eat! Maybe a ? may be in order.

I may wash some of my windows today but it is a job I hate.

Stay safe everybody!

BlueSapphire Thu 09-Apr-20 08:27:35

Good morning everyone from a sunny Northampton.

Shorts and t shirt on yesterday afternoon and sat in the garden with the cats and read my kindle. Then cut the back grass and trimmed the edges until the shears seized up and I had to clean and oil them. Also washed down the patio furniture.

In the evening had a long phone call from a friend we made when we were all posted to Cyprus in the 1980s. Lovely to hear from her.

Similar day today, I expect. Need to clean the wooden bench under the pergola; I expect that under its winter cover it's infested with spiders!

Best wishes to all.

SusieB50 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:25:11

Good morning everyone from East London ,a beautiful day . I’m still in bed ,finding it difficult to get going in the mornings without any focus . Today I will do some more clearing of the neglected garden , it’s beginning to look much better . The fox does not approve however ,it comes every day to drink from the pond and looks around wondering what has happened . Over the last couple of years the garden only had the briefest of attention as I was busy firstly caring for my late mum and then my late DH . I made a cheese and leek tart last night ( first proper cooking for ages) so I will have that for tonight and tomorrow . I will miss all the family at Easter so much . Hope to setup a zoom session and we can eat together maybe. Sis-i- Law received “her letter “ yesterday so she is very anxious and her DH is also going into shielding to protect her .

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 08:23:32

Nope. brook
Oh well, worse things happen at sea!
Just been checking.... no potatoes, no biscuits, one orange we can share ...
I feel like Old Mother Hubbard!
?

brook2704 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:21:06

Oh no Urmstongran how awful ! Are there any other local food shops open that you’d be allowed to visit ?

Ginny42 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:13:13

Good morningMick and everyone from a glorious morning in Cheshire. The moon was lovely again last night. I've slept in for me, almost 7.00 this morning. The trees in the woods at the back are looking very green after all the sunshine and there were some bluebells out yesterday. It will soon be carpeted in blue.

I find having a couple of chats during the day helps my mood, so as well as speaking with my DD and DSis, I've been chatting to different friends each day. Last night we investigated a group chat which was fun and we'll do it again in a few days. It makes such a difference seeing them and it spurred me into washing my hair! smile

A neighbour is doing some shopping for me today. I'm so fortunate to live here. I've had an order placed with a supermarket for a while now but it won't be here until the 17th.

I've heard that a sewing group in a nearby town are making scrubs for the NHS and need funding, so I'll investigate that this morning. Also the food bank is needing support.

Take good care of yourself everyone. We can do this! flowers

Greyduster Thu 09-Apr-20 08:10:23

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Sunny again in South Yorkshire. We had a decent walk out yesterday for the first time in a week and it was so good to be out. We didn’t encounter too many people and there was plenty of space to distance. Today we are staying at home. I have a pile of ironing to do and some planters to sort out later. Whatever you are doing, stay safe and have the best day you can.

aggie Thu 09-Apr-20 08:08:38

Good Morning a rather cloudy start here , it was overcast last night so missed the big moon , sister rang all excited and we were so disappointed that it wasn’t visible where we are , but at least she enjoyed it
Nothing planned for today , hope to be able to get today’s prayers on line , usually our family provide participants for the ceremony

Pittcity Thu 09-Apr-20 08:07:58

Good morning from a brightening Colchester.
Yes it is Maundy Thursday Urmston.
Managed to have a coffee meetup on Houseparty yesterday. Tonight our family do a YouTube pub quiz and team up over Google Hangouts.
Otherwise DS has gone for his shift unloading lorries at a big supermarket and he will bring home the few bits we need.
Will spend the day in the sunny garden like yesterday.

Annapops Thu 09-Apr-20 08:07:06

Good morning from a cloudy County Durham.
I intend to be a little more productive today after spending yesterday installing new anti virus on my laptop and attempting to give it a good old clean up to improve its speed.
I need to do some research into what to gift my soon to be 40 year old son for his birthday in May. A 3D model to construct of St. James football stadium should be arriving today and I'm considering one of those personalised historic newspaper books to go with it. All to keep him occupied during lockdown. His company are now just mostly on call for any air conditioning problems in hospitals etc.
I'm also expecting some flower seeds to arrive today so gardening too will be on the agenda.
Just can't believe this is the Easter weekend coming up. It all seems so unreal like we're living in a dream, or a nightmare!
Stay as safe as you can everyone and have the best day possible. X