Gransnet forums

Chat

2 Birds, 1 stone?

(29 Posts)
phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 16:34:11

Ok, so in complete contrast to my "I have found my default setting" thread, here are some handy hints for those of you who insist on "doing things". wink mainly focussed on combining exercise with hou*e#or$

Hoovering and/or mopping (steady on)

Pushing and pulling your implement of choice can be combined with what I believe are called "lunges" . (Me neither, but apparently it's a known exercise move confused)

Putting the shopping away. (after you have wiped it down, of course)

Open the cupboard door. Take 2 tins, one in each hand. (Anything will do, tinned tomatoes, baked beans, except those small tins of sweetcorn, or anchovies, they don't count)

Lift your arms, see that there is no room in the cupboard. Lower arms. Adjust items in cupboard. Lift arms again. Repeat as necessary.

Cleaning windows

Don't. It only lets more sunlight in which will fade your soft furnishings.

However, if you feel you must, then employ large sweeping movements, stretching from the waist. Or where you think your waist was or might be. Alternatively, employ a window cleaner. They can easily work while still observing social distancing.

Laundry

Simple bends can be achieved by picking up items that members of your household have dropped on the floor, as they fail to recognise a laundry basket or hamper.

If you live alone, go wild, and drop your knickers on the floor once in a while. No one will ever know.

If there are other people in the house, folding large items such as sheets and duvet covers can be adapted to a sort of "Morris Dancing" session. Corners together, move towards each other, grasp the other persons corners etc. Playing "The Floral Dance" whilst doing this is of course optional.

I think that's enough for now!

Doodle Wed 22-Apr-20 23:06:17

I get the drift ?

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 21:12:53

Sorry, that didn't work very well blushconfused

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 21:11:35

Oh Doodle how could I have forgotten that one! Brownie points to you for suggesting changing arms!

But then, there's always this one....mm

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 20:47:13

Winding the parasol up and down is good exercise for my shoulder injury, much improved now.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 20:45:37

I got roped in to do that sheet folding exercise every week by DM.
And if I wasn't fast enough, I got roped in to iron them too.

Iam64 Wed 22-Apr-20 20:43:24

Phoenix, this is the best exercise in lockdown advice I've seen. Some of the others make me want to lie down in a darkened room. though the glorious sunshine this afternoon involved me in a lot of exercise. Walk to the end of the garden, pick up the (rather worn out) garden lounger and somehow carry it back to the patio. Open lounger. This was I believe, akin to extreme sport. It must have involved every muscle group.
Getting on to the lounger was dangerous sport. To describe the lounger as rather worn out is an understatement. It wobbles, collapses and in truth should have been Feng shui'd a long time ago but its the only one I have.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 20:43:15

Yes, I've been doing all that, plus bending, stretching, walking as I garden!

I keep hearing people saying they've been out for their daily walk and wonder if they actually did this before lockdown? Or did they jump into the car, drive to work, drive home, eat, sit on the sofa?

We're down to a rather suspect bottle of Zinfandel Rosé won in a raffle months ago
hmm

Doodle Wed 22-Apr-20 20:39:56

I see you’ve come up with the weight lifting exercise too phoenix pick up bottle and tilt into glass while breathing out slowly slower bottle onto table while breathing in. Pick up glass and raise slowly to lips tilt glass and sip then slowly lower glass to table again. Repeat 10 times with right arm and ten times with left arm ?

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 20:33:24

Ha! I've got a glass of Cava on the go, not a clue what you might have.

I was always told that the phrase was something like "Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ"

Which, if you think about it, sort of cancels each thing out, so, basically, is a load of testicular substance.

PS, do I get points for being polite and not saying bollocks?

Pittcity Wed 22-Apr-20 20:08:27

......drink alike?

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 19:32:58

And of course you know the other half of that saying..........wink

Pittcity Wed 22-Apr-20 19:09:47

Great minds Phoenix grin

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 19:00:30

Do you know what, Pittcity, I was just about to post that!grin

Pittcity Wed 22-Apr-20 18:41:24

I remembered what I went upstairs for....

Eloethan Wed 22-Apr-20 18:01:08

That's funny phoenix.

Your comment about sunlight causing fading reminds me of my Mum. When the sun comes into her sitting room in the morning she closes the curtains because it will "fade the carpet and the sofa". When the sun goes round to the front of the house in the afternoon she grumbles about the sitting room being so gloomy!

Apparently that "lunging" when you do the vacuuming is not only good exercise but, so I have read, is essential because to vacuum without lunging can do damage to the back.

SueDonim Wed 22-Apr-20 17:47:40

The last time I cleaned windows I tore a tendon in my shoulder and was in a lot of pain for 18mths until I was given a steroid injection. I have avoided that kind of exercise since then, and now Dh does the insides and a window cleaner does the outside.

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 17:37:45

On heavens, that reminds me of a childhood thing!

My mother had a friend who had an au pair. I would often go to play with them. She would put some sort of polish (wax?) on the parquet floor in the hall, tie dusters to our feet and encourage us to "skate"

Obviously at first it wasn't too easy, but then.........!

Clever girl, got the floor polished and entertained the children winkgrin

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 17:27:32

Very droll, Grandmafrench
I'd like to see a room full of GNers doing just that and Cari and Lara from GNHQ awarding points.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 17:25:03

I lie on my bed and place a pillow (not a lightweight one) at the head end, behind but not under my own head.
Then see how many times I can lift it between my feet from top to the bottom, back and forth with my arms and hands straight by my sides.

Grandmafrench Wed 22-Apr-20 17:23:29

By wearing 2 pairs of big socks you can remove dust from all uncarpeted areas whilst slowly skating around the home. Playing Ravel's Bolero at the same time will possibly help your concentration, but care should be taken on wooden floorboards and all areas where speeding turns are necessary. Wearing a cushion fastened around your bottom will ensure a relaxing sit down afterwards with some tea, and will always help to break your fall after any sudden brake failure on the bathroom tiles.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 17:20:02

That was really funny ??

phoenix Wed 22-Apr-20 17:13:09

Ooh yes, Pitcity that probably counts as " step training" but doesn't actually seem to able to be combined with housework?

Ah, a thought! Put something on the stairs that needs to go up, find something upstairs that needs to come down!

Forget and repeat as necessary! grin

Pittcity Wed 22-Apr-20 17:05:41

Going upstairs, forgetting what you went up for, going down again, remembering and going up again....

EllanVannin Wed 22-Apr-20 16:55:38

I knew there was some good in what we do, somewhere. grin Thanks for that Phoenix, very well put, don't feel as guilty now

AGAA4 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:45:23

Phoenix. The best laugh I have had all day week. Thank you!