Gransnet forums

Chat

"Thank you" would be nice, it's not too much trouble!(whinge alert)?

(91 Posts)
phoenix Tue 05-May-20 18:13:24

Hello all, hope you are well.

Now, yes, I know I'm lucky to have Mr P to do the shopping, despite the rather "random" substitutions confused

BUT I'm getting pretty damn miffed!

I thank him for doing the shopping, even with the substitutions, if he dishes up, I thank him for doing so. On the very rare occasions he prepared food (cheese and onion sandwiches at lunchtime only thing so far, and only because he was making one for himself and I suppose felt obliged to ask me if I wanted one, as I was in the same room!) I thank him.

However, I have been cooking my bosoms (small though they are) off, going all "Domestic Goddess" with the home made soup, pies, etc and haven't received a single "Thank you" angry

I sometimes say "How is it?" Or " Is it ok? " just get "fine" or a sort of grunt!

When we have finished, he will usually rinse and stack the dishes (we don't have a dishwasher sad) and then toddle off into the sitting room!

Feeling somewhat taken for granted!

Rufus2 Wed 06-May-20 11:05:21

And I do feel this thread was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek smile which appears to have gone over some heads
Coolgran65 Well said! smile And this is not the first one, either!
Excuse me for butting in, but just like to say that Phoenix is Senior Court Jester and must stay. grin
In any case, as such, I'd never believe that she means to go!
OoRoo

Gingster Wed 06-May-20 08:45:51

Yes Phoenix keep on with your amusing threads. OP dont have to read them. We need to have other thoughts In These times.

Gingster Wed 06-May-20 08:37:25

After 49 years of marriage, my husband always appreciates what I serve up. Sometimes he says ‘ lovely but what was it?’

Puzzler61 Wed 06-May-20 08:22:23

phoenix and NfkDumpling. Yes! Please!
I too would love to see more threads that are nonCV or Lockdown related.

sodapop Wed 06-May-20 08:17:31

I always thank my husband after he has cooked the meal, its self preservation really in case he gets fed up and expects me to do it.

Why does he say after helping with the housework - "I've vacuumed for you " does he not live here as well ?

NfkDumpling Wed 06-May-20 08:15:49

Please keep posting Phoenix, it’s lovely to have some topics which can’t be turned around to bemoaning the CV situation or slagging off the government.

Puzzler61 Wed 06-May-20 08:01:16

In our family when someone cooks a meal, makes a cuppa, or does anything for someone else if a “thank you” is forgotten
we’ll always nudge each other and say “where’s your manners?” and a thank you is the quick response.
He just needs a bit more nudging than most Phoenix.
Good Luck.

Coolgran65 Wed 06-May-20 07:47:59

Phoenix please keep starting your threads. You are always entertaining and I love to see you do so.

And I do feel this thread was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek smile which appears to have gone over some heads.

I always thank dh when he makes breakfast, makes coffee etc. But he rarely makes dinner. When we both worked if he was in before me which was about 50% he would have had dinner ready. Tho...... I had done the thinking and told him what to make.
The other morning he asked what I'd like for breakfast and I replied poached eggs. Hmmm. Dh said he didn't know how. I said simmering water with vinegar and I'd like soft yolks please, and went upstairs. They were delish.

He also doesn't say thankyou. He will say that
was dead on, that was fine, that was tasty.

I recall when I showed him the outfit I got for one of our son's weddings (which could go back to the shop if he didn't like it). He said that's fine.... I was so cross....I replied fine!! fine!! A roast chicken is fine!! I think I probably skreeked like a chicken. He got the point that day but still fine still rates top of the scale.

But I wouldn't change him. He spent his working life keeping us all safe and here in NI that wasn't easy. He was blown up on duty and off work for a year when he moved a bicycle that had explosive packed in the saddle.
I told him if he could tackle a riot then he can tackle poached eggs now smile

jeanie99 Wed 06-May-20 04:19:29

You can't alter another human being you can only alter yourself, this comes from 50 years of being married.
You have to find ways of working round problems.

BradfordLass73 Wed 06-May-20 01:18:16

Oh my phoenix you are in a snit today.

Wanting to be thanked for everything, so a UK psychologist** once said, is a very female trait because we don't have confidence in ourselves and our actions.

If we are happy with what we've produced, that should be enough. We shouldn't need male approval to legitimise it.

**Don't ask who she was, it was years ago on the wireless.

SueDonim Wed 06-May-20 01:14:55

Surely anyone can start as many threads as they wish on GN? confused Phoenix’s tone was pretty obvious to me, and it didn’t warrant a snarky comment, bad day or no.

I hope she comes back, I enjoy her quirky take on life.

MawB Tue 05-May-20 23:40:07

Scribbles flowers
How lucky we were to share our lives with true gentlemen
(PS well done MIL!)

Scribbles Tue 05-May-20 23:08:00

@ MawB - oh, yes; I recognise that scenario. OH was always prompt and courteous with his thanks for a meal. If he really enjoyed it, he would positively enthuse and ask if we could have it again, soon, please? If he wasn't keen, he'd add a comment like your Paw did and then I would sulk because the things he wasn't mad about were, inevitably, my favourites.

His mother must have trained him well because he always thanked me when I presented him with a pile of clean clothes to put away or ironed his shirts. But I thanked him, too, when he did something for me - from bringing me a coffee to fixing my broken radio to giving me a lift somewhere. Just because you live with someone doesn't mean manners don't matter.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 23:06:19

I dont dish up any more.
Himself always moaned that I gave him too much so I put it on the side and we help ourselves.

Tonight he helped himself to curry, admittedly there was more than half left and I can't bear waste so I put it on my plate.
However, I couldn't eat it all, so he said 'are you leaving that?and promptly ate it!
Did I give him too much?
No.

He did say thankyou.

MawB I remember when we were first married making something, asked if he'd enjoyed it and he said, yes, it was ok but he didn't want it again, thank you.
I nearly did LTB.

phoenix Tue 05-May-20 22:42:42

You are so wrong.

annsixty Tue 05-May-20 21:52:37

Really!!
Certainly more than most.
Done now.

phoenix Tue 05-May-20 21:50:31

annsixty

"many, many" threads I start! I don't think so.

Bye.

SueDonim Tue 05-May-20 21:48:34

I’ve thanked Dh effusively now. I didn’t quite give him flowers but near enough. wink. He’s always appreciative of my culinary efforts no matter how badly they turn out because his mother was an appalling cook, apart from cake-baking. cupcake

GrannyLaine Tue 05-May-20 21:44:57

I do get where you're coming from phoenix. Case in point, sat down with coffee after dinner, Mr L gets a bar of Cadbury's Whole Nut out of the fridge, offers some to DD & (almost)SIL, takes some himself, puts it back in the fridge.
I'm not that fond of chocolate, but boy was I cross. It felt so rude.

MawB Tue 05-May-20 21:37:58

Paw always sad “Thank you” + (usually) “That was nice”
Just occasionally he would say “There was nothing wrong with that, but it’s not something I want to eat too often”
And then I would do a major sulk (even if I agreed with him!)

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:35:58

SueDonim
?

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:34:35

phoenix
Well, all I can say is that he is jolly lucky to have married a lady who enjoys preparing delicious delicacies for his discerning palate.
10-1 he sussed that out before popping the question. ?
His gratitude should, IMHO, know no bounds. ??

annsixty Tue 05-May-20 21:34:18

Phoenix why do you day you are fed up with this?
With respect you started it.

You cannot expect everyone to agree with all the many ,many threads you start.
Everyone does not appreciate it.

And yes I have had a very bad day, one of many.

SueDonim Tue 05-May-20 21:33:44

I’ve just come back to this and realised I haven’t thanked Dh for my dinner tonight, for which he also conjured up a crumble. I’d better go and make amends before he starts a thread on here. grin

phoenix Tue 05-May-20 21:26:31

NfkDumpling I really hate dishing up!

I cook, (although he does very occasionally) then I sit at the table and get served! I actually say "Thank you for dishing up".

Yes, I appreciate that might sound odd.

Generally after supper he will scrape, rinse and stack (we don't have a dishwasher) and will often say "leave that, I'll wash up in the morning"

But I hate running the risk of coming down first and finding it still there.