Gransnet forums

Chat

Were you encouraged and inspired at school ? Home?

(103 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 07-May-20 15:46:19

Not by school. I went to a grammar school but was very middle-of-the-road, I didn’t shine at anything. No one paid me any particular attention. Career options were basically teacher, nurse, secretary. In the event I did well in exams and I was told ‘could be university material’. hmm Too late, I’d decided on another path by then.

AGAA4 Thu 07-May-20 15:44:25

I left the same year and much the same experience. We had a careers advice afternoon, which was useless. I ended up working in a bank which I hated.
I wanted to be a nurse but was discouraged by my parents as they thought it wasn't right for me as I had asthma.
When my daughter told me she wanted to nurse I gave her all the encouragement I could to do what she wanted and is now a nurse.

silverlining48 Thu 07-May-20 15:36:34

Just that really. I left school in 1963. My school took the view we would leave at 15 or could perhaps ‘ stay on’ til 16. Employment would be either office, shop, or factory. I had no careers advice.p and no one asked about my interests and aptitude or if I had a preference. I didn’t think there was an option and never ever questioned this.

What was your experience?