Gransnet forums

Chat

How much did you or should you know about adult child’s divorce?

(34 Posts)
Hetty58 Wed 20-May-20 16:16:00

It sounds like you know quite enough. They've decided not to continue their marriage. They both have new opportunities to be their true selves and maybe meet somebody new.

It's not bad news - certainly far better than staying in an inadequate marriage. Parents tend to want to see their children 'settled' whereas many people are happier single.

BlueBelle Wed 20-May-20 16:10:04

It’s just not our business, I think remembering back I probably told my parents the least details possible
my youngest has parted after 19 years marriage I have my own thoughts as to what has happened but she hasn’t discussed it with me and I wouldn’t really expect her to
When she told me she said I don’t really want to discuss it and I said ok but you know I m here if you change your mind ....she hasn’t ..

cornergran Wed 20-May-20 15:58:19

nanamar, it’s a human instinct to want to understand but you know this isn’t yours to understand. Having been in the same situation I know initially I thought understanding would help me. Gradually I came to realise knowing details wouldn't change the outcome and actually the details weren’t mine to understand Your son and daughter in law have made a mutual decision, no matter if their reasons are different, it’s just two paths that get to the same place. Congratulations to them both for remaining amicable. It sounds as if you have a good relationship with them so, if you can, let go of ‘why’ and concentrate on being neutrally supportive to both of them . That’s challenge enough I think but really worth it. I hope you feel more content soon.

AGAA4 Wed 20-May-20 15:45:03

Reasons for divorce are a private thing between the couple.

It is a sad and difficult time for them.

MissAdventure Wed 20-May-20 15:06:36

I'm not sure hearing the details would help, really.

It would be awful to hear things about your son's failings as a husband/lover, surely? (and no doubt he has some, the same as everyone)

Pantglas2 Wed 20-May-20 15:00:14

You’ve been given the necessary info, anything more would be prying and to no good purpose. Let them muddle their way through amicably and be supportive to both in words and deeds. Even if your thoughts are different!

SueDonim Wed 20-May-20 14:53:25

It must be very sad to witness but it really isn’t your place to know the ins and outs of your son’s divorce. He may tell you all that he feels you should be aware of but he isn’t bound to give you any detail. He’s an adult and is entitled to his privacy.

You will just have to adjust to the new normal, maybe considering how you might have felt to have a parent involved in your marriage.

GagaJo Wed 20-May-20 14:52:28

Any one of those things could cause marital problems. I'd say you've got a good understanding already.

Nanamar Wed 20-May-20 14:46:26

I think I need a slap upside of the head because I’m plagued by my wish that I knew more details about DS’s and DDIL’s decision to divorce after 5 years. We’ve been told the decision is mutual and it’s amicable and it seems to be so far, although quarantine has added pressure I’m sure. We have a darling 4 year old GS and his parents insist they’re going to appropriately co-parent him. I know that our DS’s depression is a stressor on the relationship and I know that they bought a home that was too much for them, had their child by IVF, moved across the country, moved back, son was out of work d/t being in treatment for depression - all in the span of 5 years. My DIL has said that they are different people, and that she cannot trust him but that trust issue has to do only with their marriage, doesn’t affect anything else, our DS has said they’ve tried counseling but they are just unhappy in the marriage and says there was no infidelity. Why can’t I accept the fact that I may never know all the reasons? I accept I cannot fix it but I’m still troubled.