Gransnet forums

Chat

The most embarrassing moment of my life!

(130 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Thu 21-May-20 11:35:33

Have you ever had one of those moments when you are so embarrassed that you just want to curl up and die?

Well, it has just happened to me!

I was sitting on the toilet when I realised the window cleaner was approaching the bathroom window. Too late to move.

The window was open but the blind was half way down so I sat very still in the hope that he wouldn't notice me.

No such luck, he shouted Hiya love, as he slammed the window shut whilst he cleaned it!

It gets worse....
when he finished the rest of the windows he came back to the bathroom, opened the window and shouted through - do you want to pay me now love?

Oh the shame!!

Liz46 Thu 21-May-20 11:37:47

Was he laughing when you paid him?

Jane10 Thu 21-May-20 11:39:00

Oh nooooooo! blush

vampirequeen Thu 21-May-20 12:04:47

grin grin grin

I used to work in a RC school and every so often we'd take the entire school to mass. So there we all were. 240 children and a dozen or so staff all lined up outside the school ready to set off when a child arriving late distracted me. I accidently stepped backwards off the kerb and into a pothole. Needless to say I went A over T and ended up on the ground with my skirt up around my waist. Knickers in full few of every child and adult (fortunately sensible knickers that day). Oh the shame but it didn't go away because months later at the Y6 Leaver's Assembly one of the boys said that the funniest thing he'd seen at school was Mrs * flashing her knickers on the way to Mass [embarrassed]

kircubbin2000 Thu 21-May-20 12:59:12

I was about 12 or 13 and had been learning piano for a few months.The guides were putting on a show and wanted someone to play as the cast came on stage. One of the girls told the captain that I could play so even though I protested I was forced up to the piano and given the music without any practice. Needless to say I made a complete mess of it, so embarrassing.?

BlueSky Thu 21-May-20 14:06:28

I was having a shower at my DC's bungalow in Australia, I'd just stepped out when somebody started mowing outside the window, the blinds were up but I hadn't realised there was a communal gardener! blush

MamaCaz Thu 21-May-20 14:27:18

Strangely - or perhaps not - I can't recall my most embarrassing moments right now, though there are several that are pretty awful.

Those memories seem to hide away during the day, only coming out to taunt me in the middle of the night if I am unable to sleep!

Alishka Thu 21-May-20 19:46:54

It would have been the time I was walking through the city centre on a busy Saturday when I had a knicker elastic fail and they worked their way down my legs until they reached the point of no return, but then I remembered that we were taught what to do in this precise scenario in our Deportment lessons, which was to step out of them, and, with a deft flick, deposit them on the pavement, keep walking on and never look back So that's what I didgrin
Second time, years later, I was in Saks,New York. I was recovering from a bi-lat mastectomy and one of the 'chicken fillets' in my mastectomy bra worked its way up and out....but I picked that one up, shoved it in my bag and made my way to the Ladies Cloakroom, asked the attendant if she had a safety pin(she did), and so was able to pin it safely to my bra. Sorted!
gringrin

diygran Thu 21-May-20 20:53:48

my embarrassing moment also involved a window cleaner. After my usual morning shower I walked into my bedroom to get dressed. Unfortunately I was in the nuddy and unknown to me the window cleaner had turned up and began cleaning window. I saw him, he saw me.....and i grabbed some clothes!
The worst part is he didnt stop for payment and never offered to clean my windows again! Oh the shame! please keep this quiet - havent told husband in 20 years.

Grannynannywanny Thu 21-May-20 21:17:29

Dontmindstayinghome, my friend had a similar scenario. She was sitting on downstairs loo without closing the blind.

Heard the garden gate opening and rather than stand up in full view to pull her knickers up she thought she would get down on all fours and quickly crawl into the hall and then stand up out of sight and make herself respectable.

She wasn’t nearly as quick as the postman who had a package that required a signature. He rang the bell then put his face to the toilet window and knocked it.

She was still on all fours with her knickers round her ankles trying to crawl out of the loo with her full moon on show.

storynanny Thu 21-May-20 23:29:03

Mine involves a toilet as well.
You know those train toilets with a sliding curved door? I apparently didn’t lock it properly and I was mid flow, trousers and knickers around my ankles and the door slowly opened. I couldn’t reach the button to close it as it was too far away. So I just had to wait til I’d finished and then pull up my knickers , dash to push the door button, wash my hands and get out without making eye contact with the people sitting opposite.
This happened about ten years ago and I’ve never recovered. I never use a toilet on the train unless my husband stands guard .

downtoearth Fri 22-May-20 04:08:50

My embarrasing situation involved a wet fart in white jeans in a pub.
I didnt know I wanted to fart it crept up and took me by surprise by then it was too late.
My friend adopted a rear guard action,and covered my back as I minced my way through the crowd to the safety of my carblush

jenpax Fri 22-May-20 09:03:12

Got to be the time my sanitary pad managed to come loose and land on the floor in the middle of my office full of colleagues!?

Jacks10 Fri 22-May-20 09:08:39

Sorry - this gave me my first laugh of the day! Trust your embarrassment fades soon. We have all been caught out at some time!

gillybob Fri 22-May-20 09:12:35

OMG that was hysterically funny dontmindstayinghome I could picture you trying to stay perfectly still in the hope the window cleaner wouldn’t notice you . grin

I had a knicker moment once years ago when we had a caravan. It had been a rough night (weather wise) and with very little sleep I had a quick wash and pulled yesterday’s jeans on to do a little shop. Standing at the counter someone said “you have got something stuck to your jeans love” and I reached down and saw that my (yesterday’s) knickers were poking out of the bottom of my skinny jeans. Too tight to shove them back up I had no choice but to pull them out . blush

The second most embarrassing thing was to have my Credit Card refused recently in a supermarket . I was mortified .

Sparklefizz Fri 22-May-20 09:16:36

Aaaarrrgh! jenpax and downtoearth - those would be the worst for me.

polnan Fri 22-May-20 09:18:04

lol, thank you all..
thankfully I can`t recall any embarrassing moments, must have had them

but laughing with you all!

sarahcyn Fri 22-May-20 09:19:06

My first flat was on the second floor of a tall old London house and my bedroom faced the street. I didn’t have net curtains as the street was wide and the buildings opposite were not as tall - I was level with the roofs. Aged 26, blonde and curvaceous, I came out of my bathroom and began carefully drying myself from top to toe as the morning sun poured in through the window.
I happened to glance round and froze as I saw a row of about four workmen sitting in a row on the roof of the building opposite with their chins on their hands, watching me. One of them waved.
It sounds very “Carry On” now but at the time it was a horrible feeling. And I had to really steel myself to go out to work that morning...

Beanie654321 Fri 22-May-20 09:20:33

Oh dontmindstayinghome thank you so much, through your mishap you have lifted my mood and I've had such a belly laugh. Just goes to show that not much upsets them. Thank you. Xx

Daftbag1 Fri 22-May-20 09:21:30

On the packed bus in London with my GS when his very loud, piercing voice asked 'Grandma, why are your knickers on the floor? The day before's must have been in my jeans and worked their way down my jean leg!

B u t far far more embarrassing..........(From last summer)

The Mince (might be TMI or distressing)

This year we decided to sell our motorhome and move to a car and tent, so this camping merlarky is a skill in progress. Being a lady who likes my comfort we decided to invest in a fair quality porta potti, unfortunately being novices we didn't think to buy a tent in which to house it and in temperatures of 30° +, even I could recognise that a pot of unmentionable wasn't something I fancied at my pillowcase. So, bearing in mind that my mobility is a little limited, and downright painful at times, I was exceptionally brave (or downright stupid), to insist that we pitch our tent right at the top of the site 'So that I get lots of exercise'.

First thing, in the morning, before my meds kick in, it can take me nearly 15 minutes to get down that steep hill, practising those pelvic floors all the way, but I've done it, every day and been proud to get there (and back)! No amount of pelvic floors was helping me this morning though, and I blame the cheese!

Anyway, this morning, it started well, I managed my first morning round trip pretty well in fact I swear I'm speeding up (hubby says not, but his watch runs fast I'm sure), and returned to bountiful congratulatory greetings from Roxy. Meds and first mug of tea down, I await the start of my second call of nature. Ready, but waiting I lie back down, listening to the breeze, and the rustle of leaves on trees, this really is an idyllic spot, there's no getting away from it, and Rox who has taken to tent camping perfectly, lies down in her usual position, next to me.

Suddenly, POP! POP, POP, POP, POP! Accompanied by gurgling from my tummy, and the smell......'Roxy' I say, in my best accusatory voice whilst trying to plea to her with my eyes not to dob me in to hubby, stinky doggy, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, accompanied by stronger gurgling, similar to that sound when the kitchen sink is blocked and you attack it with gusto with the plunger, and succeed in unblocking the blockage. This is becoming worrying, oh bugger it I KNOW what this means, a volcanic eruption is about to take place in my nether regions and SOON!

Quick I think, options, what are my options? Porta Potti? No its not got any fluids in etc, still in its plastic wrapping. Saucepan? No, not big enough for this. I'm just going to have to do it, and hope I make it. Quick, bra on, knickers (tightest ones, might help), dress, sandals, loo roll, in bag, wipes in bag, stick, and off I go, the fastest mince down the hill trying to keep my face looking normal. I tell you, Poirrot would be proud of my mince, little steps, shallow fast breathing, oh Lordy, I'm getting light headed....no breathe normally, stop, no don't stop, breathe normally but mince, tiny steps, and clench, come on Sally you can do this, remember your pelvic floors, ok bugger the pelvic floors, just squeeze those cheeks. Ok help is needed, I know, use hand to help cheeks stay firmly shut, no, that not enough (big bum, small hands), oh Christ I need two hands, I've got to do this, I know, lose the stick, mince Sally, mince, halfway there, hand on each cheek, on tip toe by now, not far now, I'm going to make it and yes, I've made it, quick in to loo, lift seat and sit, and relax. OMG that's good, but no, hang on, there's something wrong.....I look down, no I can't have, oh no, FFS I forgot to pull my blasted knickers down..........

Noreen3 Fri 22-May-20 09:22:45

can't really remember any myself,but reading all yours has really cheered me up this morning,jut what I needed.

Rondetto Fri 22-May-20 09:22:58

Doh!!!!!!

Noreen3 Fri 22-May-20 09:23:22

I meant to say just

Harris27 Fri 22-May-20 09:25:51

I remeber getting a new boiler in and the guy had been recommended by my sister. He camel to look at what needed done it was early morning so I closed my bedroom door and proceeded to get ready I’m stark naked ( not a nice sight) he opens my bedroom door I quickly covered what I could with my arms but I was so red faced! He just shut the door quickly muttering about checking the radiators! I was mortified!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-May-20 09:28:28

A friend was in the shower when the postman rang with a parcel she was waiting for. She threw on her short dressing gown and dashed to the door, dripping wet. He handed her a card to sign and she turned her back on him to rest it on the cabinet by the door. Clutching her gown shut with one hand, she struggled to keep the card steady, so said “Would you just put your finger on this?”. It went very quiet and she turned to see her postman fleeing down the path to his van, taking the package with him. It was only then she realised just how much that gown rose up when she bent over....

She’d to send her son to collect the parcel for her, but never told him why.