Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't remember where I left my Sense of Humour

(69 Posts)
May7 Fri 29-May-20 14:36:51

I've always had a weird sense of humour. I can find the funny side of anything and so can my DH. Its what attracted me to him years ago. (he thinks it was his dashing looks ha) We tease and laugh at each other constantly. Banter starts and then it just keeps feeding. Its got me out of sticky situations too.

However, I've lost my sense of humour over the last few days. I've looked for it everywhere.....under the bed, in the fridge (that's usually where lost things are found in this house) and in the bits and bobs drawer but alas all I can find is my tiny violin and the noise of that is irritating the hell out me

I need my Sense of Humour back please. I've tried to send a message to St Anthony he the guy of lost things but hes self isolating and knows that I'm not a believer so no luck there then. I need it back. If anyone else has borrowed it please return to its loving owner ASAP
Anyone else lost theirs?

Aepgirl Sat 30-May-20 10:20:24

It’s my sense of humour that is getting me through this lockdown. I try to find the funny side of all situations - and then I have a stupid meltdown and the funny side of life disapoears.

Alypoole Sat 30-May-20 10:17:59

Well you made me laugh!

timetogo2016 Sat 30-May-20 10:17:54

I found mine when i looked in the mirror and saw more grey hair than ever .

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 30-May-20 10:15:38

Oh I don't know May, your SOH seemed to be sneaking through in your post! Maybe it's just teasing you.

KathrynP Sat 30-May-20 10:07:52

I have a black hole in my house. Everything is stored there.... lost emails, draft emails (loads of them!) my husband’s keys, wallet, stapler, glue gun, mobile, etc etc. If only I could find that black hole all would be well. I suspect that I may have other people’s items in there but I didn’t put them there!

baggiebird Sat 30-May-20 10:00:01

Coconut
I too have a few flat days but the next day back to normal find my emotions all over the place and as for clap for carers only did it once
then found I was in tears

baggiebird Sat 30-May-20 09:57:12

Hey I love to watch Peter Kay and Not Going Out , Peter Kay's Car Share is also brilliant when you start watching it the reruns are on Bbc1 and I player.My sense of humour is a bit strange but I find it turns up at work a lot I work at a certain supermarket and seeing the various masks and different things people are wearing and the complete lack of common sense starts me and my colleagues giggling ...and the strangest and funniest things they are looking for...last night 2 men asked for bottom wipes but both denying it was for them I think I am in the wrong job as I laughed while I was showing them.I find generally taking the piss out of everything and avoiding too much news gets me through life .Also my very bad texting the wrong words whilst watching a fisherman I messaged my friend and said he had just caught a toddler..until she messaged back hope the toddler is ok then I saw what I had sent her grin

Marjgran Sat 30-May-20 09:51:46

If you find it can you see if mine is there, and my waist too?
Not helped by the “funny” videos everyone sends me.

gillgran Sat 30-May-20 09:49:56

Don't worry, stop looking too hard, it will turn up again when you least expect it.!! wink flowers

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 09:47:58

Oldwoman70 grin but....I thought that I had invented that game.

TanaMa Sat 30-May-20 09:47:53

It's not my SOH that has gone missing it is my mojo. Can't find it anywhere and as there is only me here I haven't anyone to blame for hiding it. Such a long list of things I should do but without that mojo the list will continue to grow!!

MerylStreep Sat 30-May-20 09:46:39

LynnH
That's the spirit. ???

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 09:39:27

Sorry Lynne, but that did make me laugh too. Glad it helped you.

LynneH Sat 30-May-20 09:37:26

It’s not surprising, with all that’s been going on. It WILL get better, believe me. I was once so desperate that I called the Samaritans. They were engaged. Luckily, I did see the funny side, and it was the start of my recovery.

Coconut Sat 30-May-20 09:35:24

I must check my text before I post ?

Coconut Sat 30-May-20 09:34:43

Loads of funny and not so funny emails flying round all the time. We’ve had lots of laughter, playing word games till late at night in the conservatory with a couple of rhubarb and ginger gins ?mmmm to die for. Also do a Zoom call with some old friend she once a week, so a quiz etc and so t stop laughing at some of our answers ?. I do have th word “flat” day but I get fed up with myself then and just bounce back.

Oldwoman70 Sat 30-May-20 09:33:01

I have a new game I play which appeals to my sense of humour.

I read the headings of the various political threads, try to guess who has started it and what they have written, 85% success rate on guessing the OP and 90% success rate on guessing what they have written (not hard when it is usually just a re-jig of what has been written before), laugh to myself and then go off and do something more interesting

LJP1 Sat 30-May-20 09:32:20

I find our wildlife settles and amuses us.

'Our' crow made us giggle a couple of days ago. It just came and inspected the two pheasants at the bird table. Then it hopped up, tweaked the male’s tail and shuffled, apparently amicably, between them to eat the grain! The male pheasant was very upright and dignified and looked down his beak at the crow. He was not frightened and eventually finished feeding and wandered off. The crow turned, hopped over the female and flew away. It did look as if it was just teasing the pheasants!

Not LOL but hopefully a wry smile to start the return process off.

Good luck - at least the sun is still shining and you can probably put off the watering for a few minutes while you have another cup of coffee.

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 09:30:36

St Jude is definitely he of lost causes....hopefully your loss of sense of humour will return post haste.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 30-May-20 09:03:32

We get a steady supply of funny emails, we don’t watch the News and we try to watch up beat programmes. It works for us.
It’s hard to be optimistic when TV and the Press are determined to depress us.

whywhywhy Sat 30-May-20 01:23:28

Sense of humour? What is that? I got married and mine just leapt out of the window! Hopefully it will return once the divorce is finalised!

cornergran Fri 29-May-20 23:41:31

I think it’s one of those things that just appears when you stop looking for it may7. As the stress reduces your sense of humour will take its place. De-stress, maybe stop reading some threads and it will be back and surprise you. smile.

tidyskatemum Fri 29-May-20 21:40:10

Yes, isn't St Anthony lost property and St Jude lost causes? We rediscovered our sense of humour the other night. We've both been suffering from brain fog. In DH's case he keeps calling things by the wrong name and when he described the window cleaner as the washerman I just got the giggles. We both ended up almost crying with laughter and could barely stand up. Even though it was ridiculous it made us feel better!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 29-May-20 19:18:02

I thought St.Anthony found lost tea spoons? I think St Jude is the one you should be asking.........
I could be wrong .

Oldwoman70 Fri 29-May-20 18:58:27

If you have been reading the N&P threads then I think your sense of humour has gone into hiding in an effort of self preservation. When mine did a runner, I avoided GN completely for a few days and it returned, bruised but willing to try again.