Gransnet forums

Chat

Who has an AC who’s lost a job due to virus?

(58 Posts)
hicaz46 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:01:49

My DS is a taxi driver, not in a big city, and is not working now. A lot of his work was running people to either Gatwick or Heathrow for holiday flights or returning from holiday. Of course this means he has not worked for over 2 months and has had to claim Universal credit, mortgage holiday etc. My DIL is a self employed childminder, but only looking after one child of a key worker at the moment, so they are struggling. They have 3 children of their own, who are at home and eating all the time, two 17 year olds and an 8 year old. I cannot see the situation getting much better anytime soon.

Cobweb01 Tue 09-Jun-20 09:47:24

My daughter works at a university (200 miles away from us) and is concerned they may decide they don't need her small dept since Covid-19. As she is pregnant with her first child and her husband has no income (was in process of trying to start a consultancy business just before all this) it is a real worry for her. We promised to help her out (just bought the cot) but now my husband is going to lose his job (he works for BA) and it looks like he will be sacked and have to apply for his job at up to 70% less wage. This will be much lower than mine and I am only just above the minimum national wage so we will struggle to pay rent and council tax, along with travel and parking for work, never mind anything else. My son is a carer on an low wage so can't even afford to give us anything. We are so worried we may lose our home (lost the home we owned about 5 years ago when I lost my job) and it is already taking its toll on my husband's health, even though he is trying to be proactive and apply for jobs.My heart goes out to anyone struggling and facing losing their home as I know the fear you are feeling.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jun-20 09:38:42

Sadly this has happened to my son and his partner. They were running a country pub, being paid a salary, and had the use of managers house. They'd been there just over a year. Sadly, the owner of the pub decided to offer them the lease. If they had bought it they would have been left with no savings had rent to pay on the pub, and who knows how and when business would return to anything like normal.
The risk was too great so they declined and were then out of work, with no home!
Fortunately they knew someone who had a house to let. They took that and have both found temporary jobs. My son, doing agency work which isn't ideal, his partner, as a shop assistant.
They would love to go back into hospitality as it has been all they have known since leaving university.
One day, maybe.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jun-20 09:23:53

I haven't, but my heart goes out to the many who have lost their jobs. To be perfectly honest I don't know which is worst, the Covid or losing your livelihood including house. sad

Granny23 Tue 09-Jun-20 08:59:36

DD1 is an Independent Celebrant who is self employed. Of course all Weddings, Baby Namings, etc. have been postponed and most funerals have been 'direct cremations' with no ceremony. Her income has gone through the floor, thankfully her OH has been furloughed, though returning to work soon, so they are managing - Just.

MawB Tue 09-Jun-20 08:44:59

Sadly yes.
Middle D works in the theatre and has had all her 2020 productions cancelled and sees no likelihood of any offers before 2021 if then if the theatre ever recovers. She has also not been paid the final third of her fee for her last contract at Dutch National Opera - 18 months work. Rather than sit at home frustrated she has decided to use the year to do a (self funded) Humanistic Counselling course. Belts are going to be very tight.
Youngest missed out on being furloughed from her job as lightings buyer for a large online interior design company as she had handed in her notice to take effect from the end of her maternity leave (28 Feb) and had planned to start part time with a much smaller local company which is only now beginning to start reopening. But because she was not on their books, she could not be furloughed.
There will be some really hard situations to cope with judging by OP and Tanith’s posts alone.
What can we do? Be supportive, remind them that we are here if they need us and be encouraging if they are contemplating alternative courses of action.

tanith Tue 09-Jun-20 07:12:09

My daughter was let go on the first day of lockdown, she was 3 weeks short of 2 years service. She had been on a phased return to work after suffering a stroke 18mths ago. Now she is really struggling to pay rent and bills.

Nanamar Tue 09-Jun-20 02:08:01

Our adult son just turned 40 and was out of work for a year two years ago due needing treatment for clinical depression. He is feeling so disheartened because he feels he had a wonderful education (he did) and many advantages (he did) but he became a teacher out of university, then decided he didn’t like it, couldn’t find anything he did like, until eight months ago, and has now lost that job because of Covid. Any of you out there whose ACs have similar situations? He’s beating himself up about his “choices”
and his not achieving his potential but there’s no way that anyone could have predicted this mess!