Gransnet forums

Chat

When I was born........

(121 Posts)
kittylester Tue 09-Jun-20 07:48:58

very few people had a tv (and the world was in black and white!) or a telephone. Now I can talk to my family (or anyone else!) in full technicolor (!!) on my tiny phone.

It freaked me out when I first thought about it.

What astounds you or freaks you out? grin

V3ra Tue 09-Jun-20 17:55:16

What astounds me is that even during the course of our marriage, 43 years, we will now spend the same amount of money on a holiday as we spent on buying our first house.
If you'd told me that then I would have thought you were talking about someone else's life.

On a daily basis I too give thanks for the simple pleasure of a hot shower at the press of a button. Bliss ☺️

Grannynannywanny Tue 09-Jun-20 17:32:54

Agreed gulligranny hot water is a lovely luxury it’s so easy to take for granted. A few days with a broken boiler brings that message home.

gulligranny Tue 09-Jun-20 17:17:43

It's the glory of hot water whenever I want it that never ceases to astound me.

Plus the fact that I'm sitting here typing on a little flat keyboard and my words are coming up on a screen - I learned to type on a sit-up-and-beg Adler manual machine back in the early 1960s and the changes I've seen via electric typewriters and word processors is incredible.

CBBL Tue 09-Jun-20 17:14:01

I lived in a house with no electricity and no running water. The loo, and bath were in the outhouse. The loo was a chemical toilet (with a very large wooden seat) and the bath was a boiler, a brick structure under which you built a fire to heat the water inside a large metal bowl. This was used to wash clothes and people (though not usually at the same time!). At night, we had a freestanding Gas Lamp (powered by Meths, I think!) and candles were used when you needed to go to bed. Water was in the Pump House and had to be pumped by hand into a Bucket or other large container. It was Spring Water, tasted delicious and was always icy cold, even in summer. Food was cooked either on the fire, or in the "range ovens". I thought it was a great thing when we moved to a house where we had a tin bath hung up outside, and could bathe indoors! For years, my Grandmother was afraid that electricity "leaked" if you took out a light bulb. I think she was remembering Gas Lights. I played (alone) on the moors for hours. Walked (alone again) over the same moors - but on a road - two miles to school and back again in the evening. I never thought I was in any danger. Only when I lived in a large town or city did I come across anyone who might have posed a threat or experience theft and mugging. Having lived and worked in a big city for most of my adult life, I now live once again in a fairly isolated village with no shops, pubs or bus service.

Tweedle24 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:12:36

Going a little off track and back a couple of generations, my grandmother was always held in awe, having spent a good proportion of her childhood living on her fathers sailing ship, travelling the world. Later she travelled by jet plane. It was the fact that she took all that in her stride that amazed me but, having been born in 1944, I am sure i have lived through even more changes and hardly noticed until it is brought to my notice. I must ask my great grandchildren, when I next see them, if they think the same as I thought about my grandmother.

FarNorth Tue 09-Jun-20 16:58:40

Although there has always been a flush toilet in every home I've had, I do sometimes think what a blessing it is to have one and how awful it would be to have to cope without.

FarNorth Tue 09-Jun-20 16:55:49

When I was young I heard talk of the war and always thought of it as being a very long time ago.
Many years later, I suddenly realised that I was born only 7 years after the end of WW2.

Also, that the war lasted for 6 years. How terrible it must have been to live then, despite cheery stories of all pulling together etc.

CBBL Tue 09-Jun-20 16:47:15

I was born two years after the war and lived in a house that had no electricity and no running water. The loo and the bath tub (which was also used for washing clothes) were in an "Outhouse". Cooking was done on the fire or the "range ovens". There was a Gas Lamp for light in the evenings, and candles to take upstairs to bed. Outside was a Pump house, with a hand pump to get water - and boy was it delicious (it was Spring Water and icy cold, even in summer)! To use the boiler for Washing clothes, or yourself - you made a fire underneath the boiler (a brick structure with a metal dome inside) and poured water in. When it was hot enough for the desired purpose, you raked the fire out and used the hot water. The alternative for smaller amounts of water, was to put a metal pail on the fire and wait for that to boil! I thought it was a luxury when we moved to a house with a tin bath that could be used indoors!

Rosina Tue 09-Jun-20 16:18:27

My children were stunned to learn we had no central heating, phone, fridge or freezer, car, fitted carpets, or TV. Their faces were a study. We did have a bathroom of sorts; a large pale green bath (very pretty) with a cold tap, and a big electric boiler next to it that heated the water. This had to be tipped in the bath a bucketful at a time. Our first home had no central heating, fitted kitchen, or freezer, and our first car didn't arrive for about four years.

silverlining48 Tue 09-Jun-20 16:15:12

Yes the daze was when I tried to sit up in said drawer grin

Grannynannywanny Tue 09-Jun-20 16:10:18

I remember telling my grandkids when they were little about babies sleeping in a drawer in the “old days”

One of them pondered over the image a while longer than the other.
Then eventually piped up “was it not really scary at night after their mummy shut the drawer and went to bed?

silverlining48 Tue 09-Jun-20 16:05:17

I slept in a drawer too Bevan. Happy daze!

BBbevan Tue 09-Jun-20 15:29:00

1944. My Dad was away in the war. I slept in a drawer for several week. Mam and I were living with my Grandma. No bathroom, toilet down the garden. No one had a car in those days in our village. Except the doctor. My Grandpa was a miner. He had a bath in a tin bath in the kitchen. I remember scrubbing his back.

cupcake1 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:21:30

The only person I knew to have izal toilet paper was my ex MIL I remember being absolutely disgusted with it and wouldn’t use the loo there! My memory is like many others here having a tin bath (front of fire every Thursday!) an outside loo and icicles in the winter inside the window as well as outside. I don’t have many good memories of grammar school most of the teachers ruled with an iron fist, looking back they were very Victorian in attitude. My DP’s were wonderful though and I miss them both every day even though they died in the early/mid eighties.

HillyN Tue 09-Jun-20 15:09:45

I remember when we got our first fridge, must have been around 1963/4. It had a small ice box and Mum got some ice lolly moulds and we froze orange squash to make lollies- ooh, the excitement!
I can't remember when we first got a TV but I remember loving 'Watch with Mother'- Andy Pandy, the Woodentops, Bill and Ben- in the late 50's. We could only afford a B & W TV when we first married in 1975, but a friend of my parents owned a TV rental shop. He asked us if we would 'look after' a colour TV set over Christmas, in case there was a break-in. We were delighted, but of course we couldn't bear to send it back afterwards, so rented it from him in the new year. Very clever marketing, I realise now!
What astounds me most now is being able to shop online- to browse different outlets, compare prices, read what other people think of it, tap a few keys and have it delivered the next day!

Sawsage2 Tue 09-Jun-20 14:51:53

Well when I were a lass we lived in one tiny bedroom, all 140 of us huddled in a corner cos the floor would give way. We all shared one cup of ditch water, but then hooray we got moved to a pothole in middle of road! ?
(Monty Python sketch)

)

Callistemon Tue 09-Jun-20 14:42:42

You were well ofm Bijou!

I remember having to damp down the ironing for my mother. A bowl of clean water, dip your fingers in and flick your fingers at the dried clothes, then roll them before ironing them.
I'd forgotten that.

Callistemon Tue 09-Jun-20 14:39:41

Luckygirl DH's grandmother told me that she remembered when motor cars first appeared on the roads and a man with a flag walked ahead of it to warn people.

Bijou Tue 09-Jun-20 14:36:43

As it is nearly a hundred years since I was born things have changed tremendously since then.
I do think my childhood was much happier than a child of the same circumstances today.
My father was quite wealthy on £15 a week. Only in the poorest families did the wife go out to work. In fact my mother employed a woman to do the “rough work”. Scrubbing the floors etc. Mum was always playing with us making dolls clothes and furniture for the dolls house.
I was still playing with dolls when I was fourteen not thinking of boys like todays teenagers.
We did like turning the mangle on wash days and we had an electric iron plugged into the light socket. But everything had to be damped down before ironing. No manmade fabrics.
Meals were more simple. No foreign food.
There were only two of us in my school whose fathers owned cars.
A completely different world from today.

Cs783 Tue 09-Jun-20 13:50:50

To (slightly mis)quote Terry Pritchett - the essentials of the good life are good plumbing and dentistry. I’m delighted with improvements since the 1950s. Shallow baths are now hot showers. Mr Brutal Monster Dentist is now sensitive efficient professional.

Luckygirl Tue 09-Jun-20 13:36:01

I remember sitting with my grandmother sometime in the 70s - she would have been about 90 - and her talking about how she had lived through the age of horse-drawn carriages to the age of watching men land on the moon on a box in the corner of her living room. I really do think that generation lived through the most extraordinary changes.

4allweknow Tue 09-Jun-20 13:31:01

*Grammaretto" £900 for a 12 year old's bike. Took my breath away, must be a very, very special bike. I know some who custom builds bikes for his business and even he thinks that is expensive unless it was for a specific purpose and not just cycling on paths or roads. Hope the bike is well insured!

JenniferEccles Tue 09-Jun-20 13:27:45

This is such an interesting thread! I have loved reading everyone’s reminiscences which have brought back so many memories.

Re. squares of newspapers cut up to use as loo paper- for years I was convinced it was only my grandmother who had done that until I mentioned it to a few people and learned it was quite common practice!

We must have been posh as my mum bought proper toilet rolls!

It’s been interesting to learn the differences in living conditions around the country.

I grew up in Surrey in the 50s and everyone I knew had indoor bathrooms, so it’s amazing to learn that even as late as the 60s that wasn’t the norm in some areas.

I guess like lots of us it’s modern technology which is the biggest source of amazement now.

I am hugely grateful for the freedom we had as children compared to today’s young who spend so much time in their rooms.

I and my friends often played out all day in the school holidays and my mum had no idea where I was. My children also had quite a bit of freedom and I think it’s very sad that those days of a proper childhood will probably never come back.

Thisismyname1953 Tue 09-Jun-20 13:15:05

I was born 2 weeks before the queens coronation and the whole family went to my grandmothers to watch it cos she was the only one with a tv. We had no fridge and milk bottles were stood in a pan of cold water to stop it going sour . My mother used to rent a washing machine weekly for 3 hours to do the washing . We were poor and when the coal ran out my dad would chop up old doors and bit of wood to keep us warm. We had ice on the inside of windows in winter and if it was freezing we had coats chucked over us in bed

Grannynannywanny Tue 09-Jun-20 13:04:24

lovebeigecardigans1955 I’m not quite sure how this beater survived. As well as using it for beating the rugs my brother and I often had a tug of war over it. I pretended I was playing guitar on it and my brother preferred to use it as a rifle