Gransnet forums

Chat

Hair disaster!

(44 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 12-Jun-20 23:48:58

Not seen my hairdresser since lockdown and it looked a mess with with wild grey hair all over the place. I bought a mid blonde hair color from Boots. Thought it would give me a lift.
To my horror it came out dark brown and looks awful. How can I rescue this disaster? It won’t wash out. Hope it fades before lockdown ends! At least the weather has changed so I can pull my hat on! Any tips?

GreenGran78 Tue 16-Jun-20 01:26:35

Shizam. I have always hated going to the hairdressers, so couldn’t face the thought of having to sit for ages having it coloured. It is an interesting mix of fairly dark at the back and two tone grey at the front. I wish it would turn into the lovely silver that my mother had from her early seventies.

On the subject of hair, I made a dreadful faux pas today. Meeting a lady I hadn’t seen for some time I remarked on her lovely new short white hairstyle. “How did you find a hairdresser?” I asked, adding how much it suited her. It turned out that she was recovering from cancer treatment. Her dark hair had grown back white.
Foot in mouth time, again! I’m always the last to hear any news or gossip, but she was very nice about it. Thankfully, she is in remission. The hairstyle really does look nice, too. Much better than my overgrown mop!

Shizam Mon 15-Jun-20 22:26:49

Just a thought: All the dye products were killing my hair and scalp. Even the non ammonia ones. So I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and embraced the grey. My hair and head feel so much better. I have interesting silver streaks for free. And none of the stress re roots. Also, it was my hairdresser who suggested it!

Mauriherb Mon 15-Jun-20 19:06:17

I was unhappy with my grey roots so I text my hairdresser who told me what product and colour to use. I definitely would not have chosen the colour she recommended but I took her advice and was very pleased with the result. The colour match was perfect

Devorgilla Mon 15-Jun-20 17:10:58

mrsmopp, I know how you feel. I chickened out of L'Oreal Glossing at home as terrified I'd end up with a really weird colour. I went instead for Superdrug Colour Effects, a wash in, wash out product. Unfortunately I used the wrong colour, a dark brown. Now I'm red. Fortunately it washes out quickly so no long term harm done. In fairness to Colour Effects it did what it claimed, with minimum fuss and it was cheap. I'm going to try their much lighter shade which I hope will deliver the desired effect. Good luck with your search.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 15-Jun-20 16:44:23

Fo goodness sake, you MUST do a sensitivity test and a strand test too.
It's in your best interests, and saves a lot of worry.

f77ms Mon 15-Jun-20 15:07:22

ALWAYS use a couple of shades lighter than how you y want it to be. Always do a srand test! Imo nice and easy comes out pretty much the same as on the box.

Conni7 Mon 15-Jun-20 15:01:06

I have done my roots three times with Josh Wood colour, bought on-line, and am very pleased with it despite the fact that I missed several bits. The first blonde one was too dark, so for the next one I ordered 'lightest blonde' and this is much better. It comes with full instructions, and you are instructed to do an allergy test first.

blondenana Mon 15-Jun-20 14:40:00

pamdixon never heard of the Wella one, where can you get it,never seen it in chemists?

Chardy Mon 15-Jun-20 14:35:57

Try 'Colour B4' in local chemists or Amazon, says hairdresser daughter

pamdixon Mon 15-Jun-20 14:27:40

I know I've said this before (and apologies for repeating myself) but I do urge you all to do a patch test before you embark on a new hair colouring product. I am allergic to most of the products on the market out there, so have to be v. careful, but I know a lot of people just put a new colour on without patch testing first. Not funny if you have an allergic reaction (have nearly ended up in hospital on a couple of occasions in the past!). Wella colour fresh is what I use - v easy to put on and I'm not allergic to that, but I still do a patch test if I'm trying out a new colour. I use medium blonde,which comes a light brown shade.

Juicylucy Mon 15-Jun-20 14:23:18

Lucky girls comment made me giggle.?

3nanny6 Mon 15-Jun-20 13:52:15

Mrsmopp not sure what your hair colour is but you have mentioned there is some grey in it. Although you used a blonde colour it is now dark brown. If you want something else why not try a deep red colour or else get a very light blonde colour many of them called baby blonde or lightest blonde work well. One thing I would say is do not get anything that says Ash on it as several people I know put an ash colour on already blonde hair and their hair went an awful colour it happened to me as well, I had to put one of the lightest blonde shades on it and it turned out well.

Rosina Mon 15-Jun-20 13:42:38

I had the same problem some time ago - I disliked the dark result, and asked the pharmacist in Boots if I would do harm by using a lighter shade in the same range at once. He said that home colouring products are very much gentler than salon ones and it should be ok - and it was. Why not ask at the chemist? They can look at the ingredients to give you some advice, and also if you do a strand test that might help.

Esspee Mon 15-Jun-20 12:11:22

Did you by any chance use a L’Oreal product? I’ve used the same colour for the last half century but recently it seems much darker so I have moved up a shade.
If you use a cheap anti dandruff shampoo a few times plus let your hair dry in the sun it will lighten very quickly.
Ash blonde is ageing imho. I always go for a golden blonde.

Gilly1952 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:51:24

Mrsmopp, I have been colouring my own hair for years and always use Garnier Belle Colour, either no 9 which is a “natural blonde” or 9.3 which is a light honey/golden blonde (think Goldie Hawn hair) I haven’t risked using any other makes in case of disasters! I have occasionally washed my hair with a lightening shampoo such as Pro-Voke or John Frieda during the winter when I thought my hair looked a little dark or dull, but not for every wash in case it dried my hair out. Having said that, I don’t like it when the sun bleaches my whole head of hair too much and goes too light - I like it to look a little “streaky“ as I think it looks more natural. I find the hair around my temples always tends to be lighter no matter how well I colour it, but I think that is normal! Good luck!

DiscoGran Mon 15-Jun-20 11:47:33

Polnan. Those ladies who wear turbans or scarves around their hair know a thing or two. Sitting in the sun for too long has the same effect on your hair as on your skin, i.e. It fries all the moisture out and leaves it dry and coarse.

Dianehillbilly1957 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:26:13

A hairdresser once told me to buy a shade lighter than you want.
Also I always colour my own hair, I always put a coating of vaseline around my face, ears, forehead, neck, any dye that inevitably goes on these areas is wiped off easily with cotten wool, after completion.

SusieFlo Mon 15-Jun-20 11:18:40

Thanks for info on colour number! There was me thinking it was coincidence that I used the same number on two different brands.?

SusieFlo Mon 15-Jun-20 11:15:04

I’ve found that washing up liquid helps too!

Millieangel Mon 15-Jun-20 10:40:28

Colours always turn out darker than shown. Natural blonde always works for me.

polnan Mon 15-Jun-20 10:36:27

Being slightly light hearted about this.. (apologies and a quick hug)

how`s about, with this hairdresser problem we all start wearing turbans or some head gear,,,? well we are told to wear masks
to hide our faces, why not cover our hair to hide our.....

how`s about a burka? or will someone accuse me of being racist.??

Shandy3 Mon 15-Jun-20 10:18:42

Another thing that works is white vinegar! 50/50 solution with water pour over hair, leave 15-29 mins wash out, it strips colour. If not enough you can repeat it.

Babs758 Mon 15-Jun-20 10:13:39

Yes fairy liquid works as does sitting in the sun. I dyed mine for the first time in years and it went mid Brown not dark blonde but, two weeks on, the shade is very close to the one my hairdresser does. I have fine thin hair so did the roots for 20 mins and the rest of the hair for 10 mins. Condition is good.

CarlyD7 Mon 15-Jun-20 10:11:59

Sorry, I know this sounds obvious but always a good idea to do a strand test before using a different colour (I know this from bitter experience of not doing one!)

Cambia Mon 15-Jun-20 10:11:44

Yes cheap shampoo is supposed to fade it a bit! Good luck!
I am in Greece and dared to go to the hairdresser when they re-opened for my roots done. While I was sitting in the chair I looked at all the assistants and thought they are all the same colour........yes, that’s the colour I got too! A bit too dark but a few washes will fade it and I will ask my lovely hairdresser in the UK to lighten it with up with hi lights. When she opens and I eventually get back.