Gransnet forums

Chat

Who loves rainy days?

(38 Posts)
Ohmother Fri 19-Jun-20 07:30:36

I’ve been up watching the rain watering the garden and feel grateful for a day like today. I will go back to bed in a mo and get up when I feel like it. I might watch an old black n white film later with a blanket over me on the sofa. Ahhhh bliss!

Ohmother Sun 28-Jun-20 15:15:50

A nice afternoon watching ‘Went the Day Well’ and listening to the occasional heavy shower. Then came the roast lunch made by my DH. Heaven.

AGAA4 Fri 19-Jun-20 15:34:04

I love to see the rain after a long dry spell but do think of people in danger of floods when it is very heavy and prolonged.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 19-Jun-20 13:38:18

I like rain in moderation but yesterday it was thundering down. The drains by our driveway couldn't cope so there was the inevitable flooding half way across the road which takes a while to go down.

When you're nice and safe indoors it's all right. The garden was getting desperate and watering with cans can get a bit tiresome so it was fairly welcome - but not that much all at once.

rosecarmel Fri 19-Jun-20 13:25:17

I love rainy days ..

ginny Fri 19-Jun-20 13:21:55

It is a necessary evil.
Personally I think a law should be passed by hat it can only rain between certain hours at night

sodapop Fri 19-Jun-20 13:13:02

I don't mind the rain either, its preferable to heat for me. Like others my favourite season is Autumn

Grandmabatty Fri 19-Jun-20 12:55:18

I love the different seasons and autumn is my favourite. I'm not a fan of grey skies and rain, although it makes watering the garden easier to manage. The last few days have started off very grey and leaden, then brightened up. And today has been no different. I've just had very overgrown leylandii cut right back and the amount of light now in the garden is wonderful!

PinkCakes Fri 19-Jun-20 12:41:32

I like the rain when I'm indoors! I was out in it yesterday, and although I had an umbrella up, my hair still got damp. It goes frizzy and flyaway when it's near the slightest bit of moisture - by the time I got home, it was like a candyfloss angry

Bellasnana Fri 19-Jun-20 12:33:41

Living in Malta, we don’t get a lot of rain but when it rains it’s usually torrential so quite welcome since it washes away the dust, and makes the farmers happy.

I prefer sunny days, personally, and could never live back in the UK or anywhere cold after all these years in the Med.

Kalu Fri 19-Jun-20 12:15:32

I do like a rainy day which gives the garden a good soak or gives us an excuse to curl up indoors reading or watching a good film.

We lived in Provence for 10 years where predictable blue skies and high temperatures had us longing for a break in the weather. A strange turnaround of emotions as a day of heavy rain was so welcome and lifted everyones spirits.

Now home, we appreciate the seasons more, even a hot sunny day here means it is at least a comfortable heat to get on with our day as opposed to searching for shade/air conditioning.

3nanny6 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:38:53

Loved the rain we had after all that hot weather, when it first started I even sat on one of the garden chairs and just breathed in the freshness. It began to fall heavily so I had to go inside but kept the door open and watched it. Although now we have had rain for five days so not too happy for so much and now looking for a bit of sun to appear. Seems we can never be satisfied with our weather.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 11:28:26

Yes quite so Callistemon, but not in Freemantle, or not that I saw grin

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 10:42:31

Australia has some of the oldest paintings in the world.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jun-20 10:40:51

I am sitting looking out on my garden and the wood beyond - everything looks fresh and green and happy to have the rain. I do like it - but not all the time!

seacliff Fri 19-Jun-20 10:28:09

I don't mind the occasional rainy day. What I'd like is rain at night and sunny days.....I can always dream.

henetha Fri 19-Jun-20 10:21:45

Sometimes I do. It rained all day here yesterday and it was nice not to have to do any gardening. I spent half the day on Netflix and felt vaguely guilty, - but only vaguely!

tiredoldwoman Fri 19-Jun-20 10:18:26

Yes, I'm loving this morning too !
The rain on the window woke me up at 5am and I suddenly felt' safe' !
So much so , that I'm still in my pyjamas , feeling no guilt at all .
I have to go out shopping later . my daughter's planning a barbecue for tomorrow evening - I offered to make home made ice cream , I hope the rain stops for that .
My garden's being watered , life feels good !

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 10:16:25

I was also in Australia for a while, there was a time when I and my ex were going to live there, we actually had secured our residents visas. Waking up to endless blue skies made me miss our grey ones in a perverse sort of way. That and the fact there weren't any quirky old buildings, where I was in Perth everything was brand spanking new...…...but oh how they waxed lyrical about nearby Freemantle "a really quaint place with terribly old buildings some even dating back to the 19th century" shock

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 10:12:44

Cyclones aren't boring though. Nor hailstones the size of pigeon's eggs.

kittylester Fri 19-Jun-20 10:07:24

Rainy days, sunny days, grey days, icy days, snowy days!

I love all the weather we get in Britain.

We lived in Australia for a while and found the weather quite boring.

Juliet27 Fri 19-Jun-20 10:00:12

I was eagerly awaiting a thunderstorm or at least a heavy downpour but it all just bypassed us.

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 09:57:54

Galaxy

I like a rainy day but not 6 rainy days in a row.

I enjoyed a rainy day yesterday but, of course, I didn't have to go out in it and stand and wait for a bus. The garden got a good soaking.
However, several rainy days in a row, especially in the summer, is too much.
We had enough over the winter.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 09:53:08

When we have experienced a long dry spell, May was one of the hottest on records, rain is a welcome relief and it's certainly greened everything up again...…...but after a while, constant dripping is depressing, I'm ready for some more sunshine, but preferably under 80 degrees, late 70s will do!

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Jun-20 09:48:50

I certainly loved all the rain we had yesterday !

It’s been wonderful having such lovely sunny weather here in Berkshire, which we’ve had for most of lockdown actually, but I was delighted to wake up to the rain yesterday.

The garden is so dry even though we often have the hose on in the evening . Everything was bone dry and the lawn was starting to look very sorry for itself!

Showers possible today I believe and maybe Saturday night but then it’s forecast to be hot and sunny next week.

I actually love our climate and seasons. Every one has it’s advantages, even Winter.

I would hate to live in a hot dry country.

Rosalyn69 Fri 19-Jun-20 09:27:31

Not me. They are all too common a feature in Wales.