Gransnet forums

Chat

Talking about noisy neighbours

(64 Posts)
CarlyD7 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:21:01

Our neighbours had a huge extension done and alterations to the inside of the house, and the whole thing stretched over 4 months. Quite early on, I went and had a word with them about the loud radio (when the site supervisor was there). It wasn't so much the music, it was the BASS that thumped, thumped, thumped, even into our house. I explained it as nicely as I could, and they did turn it down. BUT I also got myself a pair of noise cancelling headphones. Between those two things I got through it !

Moggycuddler Tue 23-Jun-20 10:17:56

Noise like music or tv doesn't have to be illegally loud or in the evenings or nights to ruin your enjoyment of where you live and drive you mad. I know from past experience. It just has to be regular and go on for long periods, even if it's just in the daytime. Before we moved, about 20 years ago, we had this from neighbours on both sides. Went on for a few years. TV, radio, even a karaoke. Not so loud that we could make a big fuss, but loud enough to be a constant annoying background noise that distracted us from reading and any other quiet relaxing pursuits. We became very anxious and depressed. It's sometimes too easy for other people to say you'll just have to put up with it. It can be like torture.

claresc0tt Tue 23-Jun-20 10:16:21

I totally agree and it's also ignorant presume they can play their music in your house or garden loud.

Flakesdayout Tue 23-Jun-20 10:10:36

We had some building work done and the builders came in, first thing they did was place the large dusty brick of a radio down and switch it on. Then commenced bringing all their tools and equipment in and I was left with the radio. Then they went off to get materials and breakfast and still left the radio on. It went off!! It seems to be a thing with builders. Maybe they cannot get going without some form of background noise and dont' realise how annoying it can be for us who just like some peace and quiet.

Danma Tue 23-Jun-20 10:09:40

Hi Cava

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones?

I find it so relaxing having a bit of my own music as background noise in the garden

claresc0tt Tue 23-Jun-20 10:08:24

I agree that constant noise all day drives me mad. I live in a village and do so to have as much p&q as is humanly possible. I can't go in my garden when neighbours are using power tools all day, probably for diy projects. Occasionally I don't mind. I have things done that involve power tools, also mowers, hedge trimmers - but they are one offs and I get the jobs done quickly.
But DIY with power tools everyday of the week drives me nuts!

Jan51 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:07:03

The music wouldn't bother me as I always have the radio on anyway and I like most types of music, with earphones if I'm sitting in the garden. What annoys me at the moment is when the builders working on a house in our road turn up early, about 7.15 and park outside my (open) bedroom window with the van windows wound down and the radio blaring while they drink their coffee and read the paper while they wait to start work at 8. The other morning I did slam the window shut and he looked up and then closed his van window. I think he got the message lol.

Alexa Tue 23-Jun-20 08:20:11

i'll remember tanith's advice about silicone earplugs if I ever have the need.

You have my sympathy Cava. My own garden is a quiet peaceful place and I feel grateful I have neighbours who have no small children or barbecues and don't cut their grass or hedges.

Marmight Tue 23-Jun-20 07:44:08

It’s usually the builders who turn up with a dust ladened ghetto blaster. Where I used to live, I had building extensions & renovations going on all around me for 2 summers on the trot. 7 skips in the road at one point. It almost drove me to drink so I know how you feel Cava. I did at one point ask the builders next door if I could choose the music; they just laughed but did turn the sound down - for a day?
I felt cheated of a peaceful time in the garden especially as everywhere I looked, there seemed to be a builder up a ladder, so definitely no topless sun bathing on the patio ....

Cava Tue 23-Jun-20 07:24:16

Yes I suppose that’s what I will do

TrendyNannie6 Mon 22-Jun-20 19:40:04

To be honest I don’t think you can do anything about it, they are within their rights to do what they want to their homes, they don’t seem to be doing anything wrong or illegal, If it concerns you that much you can invest in ear plugs make it more tolerable for you

tanith Mon 22-Jun-20 19:32:49

Get some silicone ear plugs they really work. Not ideal I know but if you only use them now and then at least you get some respite.

Grannyben Mon 22-Jun-20 19:09:16

I'm sorry but I honestly don't. You say it isn't illegally loud and they are gone by 6pm so, I'm afraid I think you should just tolerate it as best you can.

Cava Mon 22-Jun-20 18:37:37

I have lived here for about 14 years the first 11 quietly apart from odd party or barbecue... two years ago owners changed in house opposite my garden and they had builders there for around four months before they moved in. They played radio all day long every day. It wasn’t illegally loud but it drove me mad. I see they are planning more renovations. Next door to them (also opposite my garden) new people are having extensive renovations and same thing... radio on from around 8am to 6 pm. Totally ruins my enjoyment of my garden where I would like to go and read. Anyone else feel like this?