Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassing noisy neighbours

(146 Posts)
Grandma24 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:18:54

I would like some advice please if anyone has any suggestions. My neighbours possibly early 50s live in the house at the bottom of our garden . Twice now I have heard loud grunting noises coming from their windows.I don’t want to go into detail but I hope people on here can get the gist! I really don’t know what to do about it as I don’t want our guests/grandchildren listening to it. Should I shout up and tell them to shut the windows? I’m at a loss what to do.Help!

Purplepoppies Sun 28-Jun-20 16:12:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanaHev Sun 28-Jun-20 15:48:37

Purplepoppies you are so wrong. Call the police so often that the man comes and threatens YOU. Call the police so often the man kills or almost kills the woman. "I am not the only one" turns this into institutional abuse.

CALL THE POLICE.

HAZBEEN Sun 28-Jun-20 15:46:20

Purplepoppies I too have been in that situation (with ex) and yes it was so much worse when the police had gone and also I was accused of telling neighbours "his business". However a neighbour did encourage me to get out and helped when the time was right. Maybe try to let her know help is out there. Not criticizing you in any way.

Purplepoppies Sun 28-Jun-20 15:33:26

FlyingHandbag I haven't called the police.
Having been in her situation for a number of years (a while ago) it was my experience that after the police leave is always the worst time.
I am not the only neighbour (block of flats).
Please don't judge my decision. Its not an easy one to make. ?

Rosina Sun 28-Jun-20 15:17:39

I was about to post exactly what Naty has suggested. I would be embarassed both to hear this and to be heard if I were them. When I was small we had neighbours opposite who had a very energetic life - they did close the curtains but left the bedside lamp on, and the amorous antics were played out in shadow every night at about ten. The elderly couple who lived next door to us would stand in their front garden and watch!! Somebody must have mentioned this to them as new thicker curtains were hung after a few weeks.

kwest Sun 28-Jun-20 15:14:30

I don't think this is a serious question.

FlyingHandbag Sun 28-Jun-20 15:08:37

Purplepoppies

I would much rather that than what is happening with my next door neighbours......
It has gone from the odd argument to me being able to hear the assaults OVER MY TELEVISION! ?.
He is a nasty piece of work ?

Have you called the police? X

Purplepoppies Sun 28-Jun-20 14:51:26

I would much rather that than what is happening with my next door neighbours......
It has gone from the odd argument to me being able to hear the assaults OVER MY TELEVISION! ?.
He is a nasty piece of work ?

BelindaB Sun 28-Jun-20 14:35:58

I once had to tell a neighbour that her husband was visible in all his naked glory from the street - they thought the glass in the bathroom was opaque - but it wasn't opaque enough! He was so embarressed that he never spoke to me again.

The next time something similar happened I decided to put an anonymus note through the door. It worked and I didn't have to lose a friendly neighbour! Strongly advise it to anyone faced with a similar situation.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 14:02:38

I'm sure their neighbours are the last people on their minds at the time... probably.
I wouldn't send a 'telling off' letter; just a note to tell them that some sounds carry.

Daisymae Sun 28-Jun-20 13:54:37

I would put a note through the door. While I agree that what people do in their own homes is up to them when it impacts on others then its reasonable to expect some consideration.

HiPpyChick57 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:52:06

Buy a nerf gun and use their window as target practise.
The sudden shock of hearing loud thuds on the window should dull the throes of passion.

Bluecat Sun 28-Jun-20 13:49:42

Our next door neighbours were a bit older than us (the husband is now deceased) and we were surprised when we started to hear loud, rhythmic creaking through the wall. It was always in the morning, usually when we were getting up. The husband was recently retired and we thought they must be making the most of their extra time together! My husband was particularly impressed by his stamina, as it was so frequent and went on for so long.

Our DD was great friends with their son, having grown up together. When he came home on a visit, they went out for a drink and DD let slip that we could hear his mum and dad. The son could not stop laughing. Turned out that it wasn't their creaking bed, it was his mum exercising on her rebounder.

Unfortunately, when they got back home, the son said to his mum, "Do you know what next door thought you were doing in the morning?" The poor woman was mortified. We never heard it again.

Googes41 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:47:12

How about the Hallelujah chorus loudly when they finish!!

donna1964 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:40:01

Seriously, put a note through the door and tell them to shut the window and buy a Fan.

MollyG Sun 28-Jun-20 13:06:42

Lucky buggers ?

Chewbacca Sun 28-Jun-20 13:05:31

I'd rather have to listen to a couple enjoying a few minutes of afternoon delight rather than hear them screaming and shouting at each other and throwing furniture about.

Lolo81 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:58:59

4allweknow - within reason people can do exactly what they want in the privacy of their own home - especially if it is sporadic and not during antisocial hours.
I reiterate, live and let live! The judgement and expectation here is astounding to me. I accept it’s not something everyone would be comfortable with, but that’s life. Neighbours make noise. I’d much rather deal with a 20 minute special at dinner time than have neighbours who party constantly through the night.

tattygran14 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:53:48

Bang a saucepan, on the off beat.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 28-Jun-20 12:51:09

Just play "let's get it on" by Marvin Gaye quite loudly near their window. I was in a flat next to neighbours who seemed to be on a sex marathon. After a few hours of banging and wailing (pardon the pun ?) I set my phone against the wall with this tune during another session and sat back. They stopped and thd next time we crossed paths went rather red and scurried away. Guess they realised I could hear more than they thought. That said I do miss the days of devil may care sex ?

starbird Sun 28-Jun-20 12:49:48

I imagine they need some cool air in this heat. Do you really think that your guests would mind? Perhaps if you are sitting outside they will comment on it and the couple will hear what they say. Likewise grandchildren might ask what the noise is and you can say playing a game or something - again the couple should hear, or you could just stand at the bottom of your garden and call out “ we can hear you” they will not know who it was and they may not care but if they do they’ll be highly embarrassed and make sure to close the windows next time.

If I stay at my son’s flat the same problem arises every Saturday night from the flat upstairs - you can hear every sound as presumably they can hear tv or radio from my son. They shouldn’t build housing like that,

Lazypaws Sun 28-Jun-20 12:49:46

Shout out 'Bravo' or 'Encore'. I have a vision of a little house at the bottom of your garden where fairies live.

Shazmo24 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:48:58

Sorry but its none of your business

fluff Sun 28-Jun-20 12:41:27

I think I’d get a recording of je taime and play it really loudly in their direction,that should send them a message!

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 12:41:15

Write a note on a computer (no recognizable writing) and post it to them. "Hi, I don't mean to embarrass you, but we can hear you having sex. I'm letting you know because I'd like to, if I were in your shoes."

That's it! They can choose to change it or not. Update us on a separate thread.