Gransnet forums

Chat

My Peculiar Home Habits

(139 Posts)
YoungerThanILook Mon 29-Jun-20 19:37:59

I think I must have spent too long by myself in lockdown because I am starting to notice things like I have a favourite hob (bottom left), double light switches have to be facing the same way and I really don't like towels overlapping each other on the rail!

Is it just me? Surely I can’t be the only one with these strange idiosyncrasies? ?

Grannyscotland Tue 30-Jun-20 22:32:24

This is my very first post though feel I know many of you as I’ve been a ‘silent reader’ for a while! I loved the post and that I’m not alone in my wee idiosyncrasies- I make sure every tea towel gets a turn, I have a favourite teaspoon for my morning yoghurt and definitively have a favourite ring on the job!

Jumblygran Tue 30-Jun-20 22:15:08

I am messy as anything my DH and DD straighten things up after me.
We all three have a favourite hob on the back right.
When I am outdoors I do talk to the bees other insects too and birds. But the bees are so important I think we need to be especially polite to them!

Chewbacca Tue 30-Jun-20 21:56:17

The only thing I'm a bit pernickety about is if I find just one sock when I empty the washing machine, I can't let that out on its own; it has to stay in the washing machine until it's mate turns up, it can take several washes sometime before they do!

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 21:54:03

Strange about blood type A isn’t it, is there anyone on here who is a different one?

Peardrop50 Tue 30-Jun-20 21:49:10

I watched an episode of 'Would I lie to You' a while ago, one of the guests claimed to howl like a dog when he locked the door so that he would remember that he'd done it. I tried it for a while but howling the third time of checking just makes me look ridiculous.

BoBo53 Tue 30-Jun-20 21:42:32

I’m A+ too and peg the washing out in order largest to smallest. I also like CD’s in alphabetical order just so they are easier to find. Once cleaned my youngest son’s room and did this to his CD collection - I just couldn’t help myself and he said he couldn’t find the ones he wanted!

Fibrogran59 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:56:23

I spend my days checking my food cupboards, after my DH has been in them. I have to keep everything in straight lines with the labels facing the front. Hubby just puts things away it gets put back, labels facing backwards or sideways sometimes he even mixes sweet and savoury items together. It drives me mad, all i want is to see my cupboards neat, tidy and organised. Same goes with my fridge and freezer, everything has to be just right and like with like. DH thinks i am too fussy, i like organisation.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 20:36:31

Do you (does one, really) have to make a conscious effort to keep these rituals in check?
Will you find more bits to add on to what has to be done?

SunnySusie Tue 30-Jun-20 20:24:56

The alarm clock always has to be set to something with an 8 in it, so 7.08, 7.18, 7.28 etc etc. If I want to be up for 8am I always set 7.58. All garments on the line have to have the same colour pegs. Cannot leave the house without checking the back door, the iron and the coffee pot twice. Unfortunately with the front door I have to check at least three times. I try and wean myself off this habit by checking twice and leaping into the car, but invariably have to stop before swinging out of the drive, climb out and re-check the door. It always induces sighs of exasperation and much eye rolling from the rest of the family.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 19:20:00

Ah, why not use it? smile

kircubbin2000 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:04:35

I feel guilty not using my beautiful China.

grannypiper Tue 30-Jun-20 18:00:34

Bottom right hob here. I cant stand the switches to bein the wron position, the one at the bottom of the stairs in my old house had to have the bottom part sticking out, this meant many trips up and down the stairs over the years to sort it. Pegs have to match by colour on each item on the washing line, pillowcases have to be hung on the line in the order of patterned plain patterned plain. The list is long.grin

Anneeba Tue 30-Jun-20 17:59:39

I'm group A too... Not great news re Covid apparently

Anneeba Tue 30-Jun-20 17:58:15

Like Discogran I started getting annoyed that everything, including individual sheets of loo roll, flowers deadheaded, spoons of flour in bread machine, number of slices of fruit etc had to be an even number. So now I mentally generate random numbers to interrupt my counting... Yes, sounds even more mad, but I still feel I'm beating the obsessive in me haha.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:46:29

Welcome Peardrop ?

Peardrop50 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:44:55

Completely and utterly outrageously bonkers all of you, at last I've found my tribe.

Tallyann1 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:21:50

Jane 10.....???

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:11:09

I have a friend who is always late....for everything, so much so that I give her a time to meet me at least half an hour ahead of the time I want to meet, that way there’s some chance she will be reasonably on time.She faffs about ( her words) and finds it hard to leave the house quickly.We all have our funny little ways.I too have a mug that’s for breakfast time only.?

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:08:45

4allweknow

Grammaretto I am definitely blood group A. So its not my head, it's the stuff coursing three me that's to blame. I'm off to check all the knives in the cutlery drawer are facing the same way..

?

moggie57 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:06:44

me too. i have to make sure everything is turned off... windows shut even though i'm in a 1st floor flat......and the shower turned off...i usually forget something like my water bottle....

TwiceAsNice Tue 30-Jun-20 17:03:02

Always put the loo seat down before flushing so much more hygienic.

I have to have the hangers facing the same way in the wardrobe

I move the front door handle up and down to make sure door is locked

Always check stove is off before I go out even if I haven’t cooked for hours!

Have to dust in a particular order

Always use the same mug for first cup of tea of the day

We are all OCD in a way that makes sense to us. As long as it’s not taking over our lives ( like taking 2 hours to get out the door) who cares it all alleviates subconscious stress

RubyGran Tue 30-Jun-20 16:54:44

Dottydots

RubyGran, I must be your double as I could have posted your message word for word. It gets to be very wearing, doesn't it?

Snap! I'm so glad it's not just me, Dottydots. It's definitely wearing, particularly if I'm lost in the book I'm reading and suddenly realise that I haven't checked for ages! (Well, 10 minutes, anyway!)

4allweknow Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:18

Grammaretto I am definitely blood group A. So its not my head, it's the stuff coursing three me that's to blame. I'm off to check all the knives in the cutlery drawer are facing the same way..

dontmindstayinghome Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:08

This post is so funny, so many of the things mentioned are common to so many of us.

I like things put away in their place but my OH much prefers leaving things out in case he needs to use them again - clothes, tools, the vacuum, clothes airer etc

He is the one who will re- stack the dishwasher because apparently I never put them in the correct placegrin.

I have to rearrange the washing on the clothes airer as he doesn't space them out correctlygrin

My pet hate is that he never winds the vacuum cleaner cord after he has used it - he just bunches it up and hangs it on the hook - I can't rest until i've wound it up properly.

Greciangirl Tue 30-Jun-20 16:11:30

A touch of the OCD’s here I think.