Gransnet forums

Chat

How can they do this to people

(86 Posts)
Sar53 Thu 02-Jul-20 14:44:56

I haven't seen my eldest daughter and family, SIL and three granddaughters since February. They live about a three hour drive away. A couple of weeks ago my daughter told me that they had booked a night in a local hotel to us, part of a big chain, for the Saturday after next. They would arrive Saturday morning and go home Sunday afternoon and we would spend time together, mainly outdoors. Everyone was really looking forward to seeing each other and making plans.
Yesterday lunchtime my daughter received an email from the hotel saying that they were not now opening. There are two hotels near us, part of the same group and neither were opening. No explanation was given.
As there are five of them they need two rooms and all that are available locally are incredibly expensive just for one night.
To say we are all disappointed is an understatement.
The journey to them and back in one day is just too long and tiring for any of us and my DH and I are not keen at staying in a hotel just yet.
I think my daughter will be sending a very strongly worded email to whom it may concern. I'm sure that they are not the only family that are unhappy.
I don't understand how they can say they are opening, take bookings and then suddenly decide to shut up shop again.

Hithere Sat 04-Jul-20 03:39:07

OP
Nothing was taken away from you

If you still want to meet, despite the risk, you can make other arrangements

The hotel cancelling the reservation is not personal at all.

FarNorth Sat 04-Jul-20 01:58:58

The title of the thread "How can they do this to people" and the mention of a very strongly worded email both suggested outrage at unreasonable treatment, rather than disappointment.
That's why people thought you were over-reacting, sar53.

JenniferEccles Fri 03-Jul-20 22:38:04

Some rather harsh comments on here.
Obviously Sar53 is aware that medical treatments have been cancelled for a lot of people but this is not a ‘who’s suffering is worse’ competition.

Anyone would feel disappointed that a planned family get together has hit a problem but I’m glad you will get to meet half way which is probably the best compromise.

Daftbag1 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:34:15

Just a thought, might be worth checking camp sites, many have serviced caravans or tents that may be available

NotAGran55 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:51:50

Could you go to them and stay overnight (or longer ) if your home is too small to accommodate you all ?

Sar53 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:46:26

Mawb thanks for your recent comment. I honestly wish I hadn't started this thread.
I am totally aware that we are in the middle of a pandemic and that everything is fluid. I totally understand that some people have far bigger problems to overcome and that there are many of you who haven't seen your families for many months.
My point was that the hotel took the booking and we were all looking forward to seeing each other and then two weeks later that was taken away.
We are now looking for somewhere to meet up that is about half way between us.
Canklekitten I was not getting my 'knickers in a twist', just saying how disappointed I was.
I send my best wishes to aĺl grans who haven't seen their children or grandchildren for many months. I hope we all get to give them cuddles in the not too distant future.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:23:49

My youngest daughter and family live a three hour drive away. She is planning to visit 'the garden' for a night or two and they're bringing all their own camping equipment, including a camping loo. They'll have use of the garden hose but won't come indoors!

Canklekitten Fri 03-Jul-20 18:14:38

For gods sake get a grip ... we're in the middle of a pandemic ... unprecidented times!! I'm sure you're disappointed but its really not worth getting your knickers in a twist about!!

MawB Fri 03-Jul-20 17:04:45

Millie22

What a fuss about a hotel booking. We're all having to wait to see our loved ones and just be patient. Having an appointment for a year ahead for surgery is unbearably cruel.

Oh dear, a little sympathy and understanding might have been welcome here.
Yes, we may all have our particular mountains to climb but it does not lessen the disappointment to know that worse things happen at sea.
I am sorry you are having to wait a year for surgery but I hope your own disappointment is bearable.

Summerlove Fri 03-Jul-20 17:01:05

How disappointing.

I think this is something we all need to be aware of going forward. Nothing is set until after we have done it!!

chrissyh Fri 03-Jul-20 16:38:44

My friend lives 3 hours from her DD & family and they met halfway at a National Trust property. They took a picnic and, although the house was closed, enjoyed a nice day in the grounds. Perhaps this is something you can think of doing.

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:17:54

Struggling2dol and all others in such a worrying situation, hang in there and I hope things improve for you very soon.

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:09:09

Gosh, how disappointing for you all but I'm afraid I agree with BlueBelle and others, these are difficult times for so many, a little sympathy and kindness to all, including the bigger companies, who are struggling to stay afloat wouldn't go amiss. Please don't write an angry letter.
You and your family have your health and haven't lost any money, for now we have to be grateful for small mercies and when you do get together it will be amazing.

emmasnan Fri 03-Jul-20 14:43:41

They may have had a good reason for the cancellation. Its possible someone working there tested positive and so they have had to cancel to prevent infection spreading.
Many people haven't seen there family since February or before, be pleased that your family are all well and you will hopefully see them again soon, many will sadly not be able to do that.

Chezabella Fri 03-Jul-20 13:41:05

Just a suggestion, is there a Youth Hostel you could all meet up at? Some are open and they usually have an assortment of room choices.

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 13:11:49

I think when government guidelines were made re hospitality they all were eager to open their doors, but then looking realistically what they need to do to keep people safe they’ve realised it’s a bigger task than first thought and with reduced staff. I know it’s disappointing but at least they are attempting to keep there customers safe by not just grabbing the money. What about Airbnb for the night there are some great ones about.

Hithere Fri 03-Jul-20 12:22:57

I understand the disappointment about the cancellation.

It doesnt mean this family reunion cannot happen.
Look for other accommodation options

I think the email complaining about it is an over reaction - we are still in the middle of a pandemic and the closure may have had to do with it.

I won't get into whether this trip is a good idea or not.

Millie22 Fri 03-Jul-20 12:01:59

What a fuss about a hotel booking. We're all having to wait to see our loved ones and just be patient. Having an appointment for a year ahead for surgery is unbearably cruel.

darbycall Fri 03-Jul-20 11:32:48

maybe they don't want to go the way we did here in the US. be in a rush to open and then the cases of the virus skyrockets. so disappointing though.

focused1 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:30:27

I would write to CEO and make them aware that their website in incorrect . I wouldn't want to stay at any hotel at the moment . The linen , pillows , mattresses etc . I think what others have suggested - meet in the middle is a great way forward.

icanhandthemback Fri 03-Jul-20 11:18:15

Struggling2do1, that must be gutting news and I hope they sort something out for your poor husband soon. flowers

I know it is really hard, Sar53, to not to have seen family but I'm afraid that this sort of thing will happen more and more as the Government play WhackaMole where there are peaks of the C19. Along with different bits of guidance that commercial ventures receive, they have to consider so many things and it is better for them to not open than have lots of criticism on review sites about how unprepared they are.
Whilst it is disappointing, it is surely better to have this cancelled rather than to be at risk. Maybe you will find another way but if not, things will move towards more normality and you will get to see your family.

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:17:50

Struggling2dol, i do sympathise with you & your husbands situation.i hope things may improve (hospital appt-wise) and they may then move his op forward again.flowers for you both.flowers

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:11:13

Asking for compensation will probably make the hotels situation worse, so DONT do that.im sure the deposit or balance repaid will suffice..

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:06:06

Not mean to be harsh but todays my birthday and not seen most of AC& GC for months- most of them live almost 2hrs drive away..(including brand new GD)my only nearest one seen for 4 mins as she dropped something off last month, (since march)..so ive short shrift today for something that probably was beyond the hotels control.sorry..im sure they can rebook in a couple of wks maybe? A lot of places hospitality-wise are re-opening 16th.hmm

Lancslass1 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:05:06

It is very disappointing for you but perhaps when you find out why the hotel is not opening you may understand better..
Many of us with children and grandchildren who live thousands of miles away haven't seen our children and grandchildren for years.