Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(67 Posts)
12Michael Thu 16-Jul-20 06:10:10

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another grey start here in brackley this morning, but its dry.
Got the flowers done on my parents graves yesterday .
The other thing , I managed to do was date change my hotel booking ,and hopefully I have done my rail tickets online OK , as it played up allot when ordering , we shall see when postie comes .
Today, Bicester on the bus usual cafe there plus shop , and return home and relax .
Take Care ,
Mick

Grandmafrench Thu 16-Jul-20 08:59:04

Good Morning everyone. Glorious day in the S of ??, dark blue skies, windy, hot and warm. Too windy to take out our Kayak which would have been a treat today but will enjoy drying the bed linen in about 30 minutes on the line - must catch it before it burns to a crisp or I shall be reluctant to weild that iron....again......oh dear!

Slow day today planned with lunch in the garden after some chores and some reading. Friends around for a garden chat before the weekend is over, so will plan some things to provide with a drink. Can’t serve drink without food in this country?.

So very pleased to read of travelling Grans and families off on well-deserved breaks. Good for you. Everyone needs a change of scene and routine. Bet you’ll all come back refreshed and raring to go (back again? ?).

I was watering some plants yesterday just before lunch and it was so quiet in the garden when I heard an almost forgotten sound.....the sudden rumble of engines changing. Across my eyeline and out over the sea I then saw a familiar sight - a Ryanair jet heading towards the airport. I actually cried! What’s that about? I so hate flying and have no interest in planes but I was so genuinely pleased to see that a ‘bit of normal’ - excited people arriving for holidays - was starting to happen. Sometimes, I suppose, life just catches you unaware like that and you can look back and think just how you’ve been affected by a situation completely beyond your control. Then you get all emotional !

I can hear a cat yelling for some attention somewhere. He’s definitely getting emotional ! So, away from this keyboard and into the day, I go. Get well all you poorly folk, be strong and patient with yourselves all of you struggling or sad, and wishing you all the best day it can be. Wear those masks and above all, stay safe.

Hugs from another country x ?

Sar53 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:55:00

Urmstongran we renewed out annual travel insurance in February before the impact of Covid was known . There are no restrictions, I've just checked.
We are driving, not flying, and obviously will be taking all precautions. We have a friend in France at the moment and he says the smaller towns, villages and rural areas are almost back to 'normal'. I think everyone has to do what is best for them and their own personal circumstances.

Anniebach Thu 16-Jul-20 08:50:21

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Auntieflo Thu 16-Jul-20 08:47:10

Good morning*Mick*, Annie and all.
Popping in again for a quick visit. I do read most mornings, but often feel that with not much to contribute, I shouldn't write anything. Silly I know, but that's what this situation had left me feeling like.
I do hope that Gillybob's potential customer is not taking advantage of their knowledge, and leading them up the garden path. She doesn't need that.
I had an angry moment on Tuesday, as I had an email from our car insurance, saying that they had automatically renewed it. What I hadn't realised was that a Continuing Payment Authority had been set up. Anyway, the young chap I eventually got to speak to, was so very good. Calmly talking me through the whys and wherefores. All sorted out and we should receive a refund in due course.
I shall have an hour or so in the garden this morning, weather permitting.
Hope Marydoll is feeling OK, and all others who are under the weather.
Have a good day one and all.

Nanna58 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:42:17

Maw, try pills in pate, seems to be the only food our dog can’t un- entangle ( is that even a word?) his pills from.

harrigran Thu 16-Jul-20 08:41:51

Good morning from a grey, breezy NE.
Grocery delivery this morning, nice to have some fresh bread.
DD, who lives abroad and travels a lot for work, has been told that her annual travel insurance will not be renewed when it runs out at the end of the month.
The present situation means that it will be difficult to find cover and it is essential as she travels to other continents.
We will not be going on holiday, not a snowball's chance that we would get insurance.
Take care eveyone.

Marydoll Thu 16-Jul-20 08:40:22

Good morning Mick and all from a cool and breezy Glasgow. Urmston and Pants, you could at least share some of your heat here. DH has had to put the heating on for an hour.

I have now lost my voice, due to all the coughing, much to DHs delight! I have done nothing but grump at him over the last few days!? At least he will have some respite. ?

I hope to see DGD today, DIL offered to come down for a visit, but as I haven't been out of the house for nearly two weeks, I have decided to go and see her to pick up DGD's new school uniform. I promised DIL, I would sew the name tags on. I have wallowed enough and need to get out and about again! wink
I have had my latest shielding letter, so hopefully only 15 days to go to my release!
However, my new treatment has made me even more vulnerable on top of everything else, so even after shielding, I have been been advised to stay away from public places for the foreseeable future..

Having been a teacher in a faraway life, I have witnessed the trauma, for both for Primary one pupils and the teacher, on on gym day, when the clothes, including underwear, get mixed up! ?! Name tags on clothes are essential for the teacher's sanity.?
I have learned in recent years to be ahead of the game and do things when I'm feeling able. DIL doesn't sew and I'm happy to keep myself busy.
DGD is so tiny that even the smallest size of blazer needs altered. I shed a few tears when I saw the picture of her, trying on the blazer. The sleeves we're almost at her knees.?

She was a wee IVF baby and it was touch and go for both she and DIL at the birth. I had become very ill just before she was born and this wee miracle gave me strength to get better for her. I never thought I would ever have a grandchild and make it this day. Ooh er missus, I'm becoming all emotional, I need to nip that in the bud or people will think I have become soft hearted!!!!!?

It is so lovely to hear of posters meeting up with family again, but hard to see my friends having some normality back in their lives and having grandchildren and family to stay. That's the hardest part of shielding for me. I'm so aware of that missing part of my life.

Also glad to hear Scentia has secured some orders and fingers crossed for our Gilly.
Thinking of Cherry, who is taking a break, Dragonfly Bluesapphire and all who are struggling. I hope to see you all back posting soon.

Have a good day one and all.

Georgesgran Thu 16-Jul-20 08:39:14

Good morning from a grey and overcast Durham. Going to see a friend this morning - she’s moving soon and very stressed. It’s taken 4 years to sell her house and she’s been living in it (big house) with her ex-husband. They’ve both bought smaller properties and waiting for the Solicitor etc to get everything sorted for the same completion date.

Hope everyone has the best day they can. X

No plans here for any sort of holiday, because of DH’s illness but I’m sure the Martin Lewis show did an article on Travel Insurance/Covid cover. Perhaps look up his Money Saving Expert website NannyJam53.

MellowYellow Thu 16-Jul-20 08:34:07

Hello everyone from a cloudy south Cornwall. First U3A meeting since lockdown today, on someone's decking, just 5 of us. The poems of Thomas Hardy, lovely. Unexpected coffee in town with youngest son yesterday. He's a self-employed photographer, mostly PR and, whilst usually very busy, jobs are only trickling in. Means he has more time for catch up coffees though. Cafe Nero's felt just like it always did, plenty of space in there. Knitting a dinosaur this morning, as you do!!! Warm wishes to all.

Mapleleaf Thu 16-Jul-20 08:32:46

Good morning everyone,

I bet you are looking forward to your trip to Harrogate mick.

I don’t think the weather knows what it wants to do yet - dark clouds one minute, bright sun the next.

I sincerely hope that prospective customer isn’t stringing you along, gilly. Can you not hold back some of the technical detail and say something along the lines that final details will be forthcoming once the contract has been signed. There has to be a way of protecting your own interests.

Pilates in an hour or so - that hour session is the fastest hour of the day!

Had a good catch up with my SiL’s last night which cheered me up a bit. I’m getting truly tired of the constraints Covid has brought. I think it’s being unable to be spontaneous that is getting to me now. I’m sure normality will eventually return, but when, I wonder? Not for many months to come, I suspect, even years unless a vaccine that works is developed. This new normal, with masks, queues, advance booking, etc, will be our way of life for some time yet. Must just get used to it, I suppose.

Well, that’s enough of me being maudlin. ?

I hope you all have a good day. Keep safe. Best wishes to BlueSapphire and anyone else feeling down, Ill or with worries. ?

MawB Thu 16-Jul-20 08:30:02

Good morning all from N Bucks where it is overcast and cool - and I am sneezing! How I could have caught a cold when I have not been near a soul I cannot imagine. Maybe a form of hay fever from spores or something.
Hattie is beginning to turn the corner but still very lacklustre and off her food - any food. She keeps giving me dirty looks as I try to tempt her with tasty morsels like homemade chicken broth, sausage “meatballs” (to disguise her pills and no, it doesn’t work) and she tolerates, but takes a dim view of, me following her round the garden to try to catch a specimen of wee in a little plastic pot. (Quite easy with bitches if you are quick enough)
Sleeping calmly enough though and I assume that is all helping her get over the infection.
I have little planned for today other than a NADFAS Zoom committee meeting at 10 after which I plan to settle down with a book.
Oh I made tomato chutney yesterday on an impulse as I am hoping to have the family to an al fresco lunch (maybe even barbecue!) next week on the 25th which is the 50th anniversary of our wedding in St Andrews. Enough domestic goddessness for one week!

Grandmabatty Thu 16-Jul-20 08:29:56

Good morning All. It's overcast here in Polmont but I'm hopeful it'll lift later. I have friends coming round for a garden visit and I'm looking forward to it. First I have to shop for a pair of decent black shoes for a funeral tomorrow and drop off a pot of raspberry jam at my daughter's. I hope everyone has a good day x

Aldom Thu 16-Jul-20 08:25:54

Good morning everyone. It's cloudy again in the SE. I'm hoping the sun peeps through later. I have a garden meeting this morning with our poetry group. Puzzeler61 Thank you for your thoughts yesterday. You were right about the tear in the eye at my DGS school leaving assembly. He's a child who at birth was not expected to live. His journey through life has been challenging. Saying goodbye to primary school in readiness for the new chapter in this lovely boy's life was quietly emotional. Marydol and Gillybob hoping the day will be kind. Good wishes to all for the rest of the day.

cornergran Thu 16-Jul-20 08:19:08

Morning Mick, morning All from an overcast corner of Somerset. Telephone consultation with GP for Mr C at some point this morning, click and collect later. Not much excitement today. Hope that contract becomes reality gilly, enough messing you around now. You still resting marydoll? It will be worth it. All the talk of breaks away is getting me to wondering about something later in the year, September perhaps. Be gentle with yourselves everyone and be careful out there.

Nanna58 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:16:13

Apologies for the grey cloudy weather, my fault as I ordered two solar powered fountains and some solar lights for the garden and no sun since!! Hairdressers today though so it’s sunny in my heart ??

Pittcity Thu 16-Jul-20 08:08:21

Good morning from a grey skied Colchester. I read the headlines about a heatwave weekend, I'll believe it when I see it!
A bits n bobs day. Must remember that I have a letter to post. It's been in my bag and I've walked past the post box at least 3 times.

gillybob Thu 16-Jul-20 08:04:34

Good morning from the NE coast where we have another grey start to the day . We did see some rain yesterday so think maybe we should just right this summer off . hmm

I spent all day at “that place” again yesterday and had another 2 conference calls with our potential customer who has still not committed to an order . We are tantalisingly close but the questions are becoming more and more technical and in-depth, so I can’t help but worry that we may be being used to tell them (a very big cheese) how to do the job themselves . It happens .
A huge thank you to everyone for all their good wishes and crossed fingers ? I think it’s a waiting game now.

Im so pleased you are getting plenty of work Scentia you must feel a great weight lifted. The figures released today for those who have lost their jobs during lock down is alarming and I am determined that I and my 3 loyal employees will not be joining them any time soon .

Do enjoy your trip to Scotland Mancgirl I shall wave as you pass through the North East ? .

Grammaretto Please pass on my best wishes to CherryCezzy I hope she is okay and will be back with us soon . Thinking of our friend BlueSapphire too .

Welcome back to this lovely Good Morning thread NannyJan53 it’s good to see you again. Sorry you don’t feel ready for your holiday in September .

Oh poor you Gingster I can imagine the pain . A wasp went down my top last year and stung me about 5 times before I managed to get it out . I hope you squashed the horrible little thing.

I hope everyone has as good a Thursday as possible . I’m off to “that place” again to do wages etc. Planning a day off tomorrow as I’m exhausted .

Love Gillybob xx

Puzzler61 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:02:37

Good Morning Mick and All from cloudy Worcs. Met Office promises we will be getting sunshine this afternoon.

Mick when you get the tickets in the post you’ll know you’re definitely getting your mini break! We all need one sooner or later.
Nannytopsy glad you had a nice day yesterday.
Sar53 and Grammaretto - your holiday plans sound great.

Our weekly Sainsbury delivery is due 10 -11 am, DH’s friend is coming for coffee at 11 am. They’ll go into the Conservatory and I’ll let them natter in peace. It will give me an opportunity for some pootering and I’ll be visiting my friend after lunch. I’ll take a punnet of cherries which we bought while on a drive 2 days ago.
We came across a delightful wooden stall on a house drive and as well as cherries we came away with strawberries, potatoes, eggs and rhubarb. ?
We didn’t see a soul, it was all done by “honesty box” payment - very safe from a Covid aspect.

Stay safe everyone today and Gingster, look after your swollen foot. Keep your shoes on today (if you can bear to).
?

Gelisajams Thu 16-Jul-20 07:51:15

Good morning from Shetland where DH reports it’s cold and damp! Not unexpected - we don’t come here for the weather!
Than you for all the good wishes yesterday which I read late last night.
We have been coming here for 20 years where we stay with people who have become friends.
It’s good to see how seriously the virus is being taken here even though there have been no new confirmed cases for weeks. We feel quite safe. It was strange on the boat with all the extras unavailable.
Hopefully will Wrap up and get out for a longish walk shortly. Stay safe and take care?

Urmstongran Thu 16-Jul-20 07:47:14

Hi NannyJan53 I’m not sure whether health insurance to cover Covid is even a thing? The premiums would be prohibitive I expect and the big companies won’t want to take a punt.

However I see Sar53 is off to France in September. Perhaps she had the same dilemma yet they are going for it! We all must do what makes us feel comfortable in the end.

I too am not for trains, airports and planes just yet.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 16-Jul-20 07:43:43

Good morning from east London, grey, breezy and mild. Promise of heat later. Foodbank this morning so need to get moving, but no choir today as our leader is having a week off. Found out yesterday all is still OK for our Kent holiday so we’ll be off to the seaside in 2 weeks. Just got to work out the travel logistics; I was looking at trains yesterday in case there’s not enough room in the car as DD and the girls and DS will all be coming, just not sure when. It’s very quick and easy going from Stratford international by train.
Hope you have a good day.

NanKate Thu 16-Jul-20 07:43:27

Welcome back NannyJan good to have you posting again. ?

Urmstongran Thu 16-Jul-20 07:42:31

Meant to say ‘hi’ to lemongrove who posted yesterday ?
Is that a first?
You didn’t tell us where you live though and the value of your home ...
?

NanKate Thu 16-Jul-20 07:41:57

Morning Mick and All.

Cloud and bright sunshine in South Bucks.

Packing, ironing and sorting for our departure tomorrow to the beautiful New Forest.

Good to hear your life is slowly returning to normal Mick.

NannyJan53 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:36:37

Good Morning from a dull Black Country.

Not posted on here for a couple of months now, so dipping my toes back in!

Life is slowly opening back up, but I am still reticent. So although hairdresser back etc. I am not booking anything yet.

We have a flight booked to Malaga on 27th September Urmston but I cannot see me wanting to go, as I doubt we would get insurance covering Covid? Such a shame as we love Malaga and Benalmadena Peublo.

Only plans I have today is my usual video call to Mum and hope to visit a friend in her garden. Not seen her since February.

Wishing you all a good day