Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer....back to the usual

(67 Posts)
overthehill Mon 20-Jul-20 18:39:00

Anyone like me? So thankful summer has reverted to type this year. 2018 & 2019 for me was horrendous with temperatures soaring into the high 30s. I like sunshine but with temperatures in the 24ish. I prefer cold and wet to unbearable heat

SueLindsey Tue 21-Jul-20 11:07:54

I was so pleased to see the rain recently and feel cooler. (I live in a ground floor flat so cant leave windows open at night. I have always hated hot weather and particularly so at the moment when I am staying in 99% of the time. In winter I can enjoy hibernating but in the summer I always feel I should be out and about.
Also hopefully no more of those horrendous photos of thousands of people on beaches risking the virus being spread more easily. I always remember the heat wave summer of 1983 when I was extremely pregnant and kept fainting in the heat!!

missdeke Tue 21-Jul-20 11:07:20

The hottter the better for me. Shredded wheat grass, lovely!! No need to get the mower out, all I have to do is watering the pots and the fruit and veg plots and it's all lovely. grin

TwoWolves Tue 21-Jul-20 10:32:40

It depends on how much work I've got on - it can be rotten weather when I've got a lot to do, but lovely when I haven't. It never works out that way, unfortunately.

Rosina Tue 21-Jul-20 10:01:05

overthehill I am with you all the way. We have had a lovely spring, and I commented yesterday when walking that the fresh breeze was making a delight of the warm day - wonderful to feel the sun on your back, but even better to not feel as if you are under a grill, and facing a night of being unable to sleep because of heat and humidity. How people can say they enjoy it I don't know - this is the English climate at its best, no extremes of heat. Today I am gardening - I'll be wam and happy, not grilled and grumpy!

MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 09:52:13

I love ice, snow, rain and wind! They bring me alive. I wilt in the sun. In the summer I stay in the shade, though I love to see dappled sunlight.

MiniMoon Tue 21-Jul-20 09:44:34

I would love a bit of summer!

Here in Northumberland we have had grey skies, rain and cool winds since the end of May. We've had an odd sunny day but temperatures not above 17°c. I was so cold one evening last week, that I put the heating on! I'm still wearing my winter jumpers.

I like the warmth. Temperatures of 24° - 25° suit me fine. I can cope with hotter, but not for too long.

JenniferEccles Tue 21-Jul-20 08:40:44

I do tend to agree overthehill.

The previous two summers, especially 2018 were a bit too hot for me.

I do love sunny summer days but when we get a combination of around 30deg plus high humidity, it’s not pleasant.

I live in the Home Counties and we have had a pretty good summer so far, in fact we desperately need rain for the garden, particularly the lawns.

Since lockdown at the end of March we have had very little rain and I am astonished to read that even in our tiny country, some areas have had a completely different experience.

Actually I do love our climate here. I love the different seasons and we are lucky enough not to get severe extremes in either summer or winter.

suzette1613 Tue 21-Jul-20 06:00:30

Here in the north west we always seem to have the greyest wettest weather, the glorious May we have just had has spoilt me though. It has reverted to grey and wet again now, better for the garden though. The grass is growing like mad.

Sussexborn Tue 21-Jul-20 04:33:30

I find the shadiest part of the garden and stay there. Warm days with slight breeze suit me. OH used to sit in very hot sun and go off walking but he’s not quite as keen these days. His skin has taken a battering.

Eloethan Tue 21-Jul-20 00:41:18

If it gets really hot, like many people, I struggle a bit but, on the whole, I'd rather have sunshine and high temperatures than dull, rainy days. We lived in the north west for several years and I found the much lower temperatures and frequent dull, misty days very depressing.

Teacheranne Tue 21-Jul-20 00:11:22

It was so cold here this afternoon ( S Manchester) that my heating came on, it's set at 18 degrees so must have been lower than that indoors. I did knock it off though and I actually spotted something yellow in the sky by early evening!

I hate it when the news reports go on about the heat wave and want to shout at the TV - we don't all live in the SE!

AllotmentLil Mon 20-Jul-20 23:25:05

Thank you MissAdventure have just ordered three - one each for DD, DGD and me!

merlotgran Mon 20-Jul-20 23:09:22

MissAdventure

grin
Last week, I think, our temperature one day was 28 degrees, and I got chatting to a man who said he had been mowing his front and back lawns!!!

DH mows our three lawns sitting on his ride on mower wearing a Texas style hat, moaning like hell about the heat. grin I do the bit between the raised beds in the veg garden with my little battery mower. No pain, lots of gain!

We have had to give in to age and infirmity and get a local landscaper to mow our 1 acre field for us. The only problem is he doesn't always turn up when arranged and the docks are seeding. grin sad

Alishka Mon 20-Jul-20 23:01:02

Oh BlueBelle in you I've found my Spiritual Twin!grin I don't do the hottie for feet tho. For me it's thermal socks in bed. Sexy it ain't, but s*d that! This is me in Survival Mode, and if my feet are toasty I sleep like a baby - a warm toasty babywink

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 22:50:29

grin
Last week, I think, our temperature one day was 28 degrees, and I got chatting to a man who said he had been mowing his front and back lawns!!!

overthehill Mon 20-Jul-20 22:47:01

Despite my hatred of boiling hot weather. For the sake of my health I sit in full sun without sun block for 10 mins front then 10 mins back to get my dose of vitamin D. This is torture and amazes me that others can do it.

merlotgran Mon 20-Jul-20 22:28:12

I love sunshine and hot weather. I get up early and do as much gardening as I can before I have to retreat indoors in the middle of the day. I then go back out when it's a bit cooler to do the watering and pottering about.

DH hates the heat and moans about it non stop but it falls on deaf ears. grin

BlueBelle Mon 20-Jul-20 22:25:48

My body temperature is never hot I always feel cold unless I m in direct sunshine which I try to get into as much as possible
I still have my hot water bottle for my cold feet at night even in the summer ?

gillybob Mon 20-Jul-20 22:05:40

Ditto CanadianGran I’m on the North East coast of England and we have yet to see any kind of summer . We have had a few days with sunny spells but that’s about it . Today it reached the dizzy heights of 15 degrees with rain this afternoon.

What I wouldn’t give for a few days of sunshine sunshine

CanadianGran Mon 20-Jul-20 21:03:44

We've had no summer yet! North west coast of BC Canada, and we've had 15 degrees and overcast all of June and july! We're getting bloody sick of it!

We had a lovely May, and that seems to be it for summer. my bedding plants aren't much bigger that when i put them in, and my few rose buds rot before they bloom. Stinks!

I tend to love 22- 25 degrees which is normal here for summer. Any hotter and I get listless and puffy.

Orangerose Mon 20-Jul-20 21:00:51

MissA thanks so much - ordered one

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 20:44:42

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352468688189

These are the towels I got. Hope the link works.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 20:36:34

I can't find the earlier temperature, but it's 19 now.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 20:33:22

It's stifling here.
I'll have a look on my weather thing on the phone.

It was supposed to be 21 degrees this afternoon, but I'm sure it went a lot higher.

SueDonim Mon 20-Jul-20 20:27:46

It’s 13deg here today. hmm