Gransnet forums

Chat

Hot weather, I used to love it, but don’t now!

(50 Posts)
AGAA4 Fri 07-Aug-20 16:01:30

I don't like the heat now I am older. Love sunny warm Autumn days as the heat usually doesn't get too intense.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:52:37

Urmstongran

Dubai is a city in the Arabian desert. Seems daft to me anyway. Mecca to consumerism.

Absolutely but the hotels, food and shopping are fabulous and the service is second to none ????

Urmstongran Fri 07-Aug-20 15:50:18

Dubai is a city in the Arabian desert. Seems daft to me anyway. Mecca to consumerism.

Serendipity22 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:00:14

I read all the posts with glee because I thought that maybe my intolerance of the heat was my own problem.

I once, absolutely baked in the sun.. front, back,front, back... I would do the housework before taking the children to school, *for the sole purpose of 'cooking myself stupid'.

Now, I literally turn I to nothing more than a limp lettuce, maybe it's a lot to do with the fact I have MS, but i have thought geeeee how I've changed

We went to Dubai 3 years ago !!! and it was #!$@%!%!$!#!%!%!%! (( that translates nicely to IT WAS FLIPPIN HOT )) ...I would say it must have been similar to being in a gas oven on number 10 !!!!! Needless to say, 99.9% of our holiday was spent in shopping malls where there was wonderful air conditioning.

smilesmilesmile

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:31:13

Hate it always have always will,i love the Autumn and Spring.

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:59:59

I hope you’re relaxing somewhere cool today (Friday) MellowYellow , and that your pains are easing. Get engrossed in a really good read ..... ?

FoghornLeghorn Thu 06-Aug-20 22:53:50

Hate it. I’m dreading tomorrow as 33 degrees is forecast and next week isn’t much better. ?

Lucca Thu 06-Aug-20 22:27:53

Love the sun and heat. It’ll be a warm game of tennis tomorrow I guess !

sodapop Thu 06-Aug-20 21:49:34

I can't tolerate the sun and heat either Mellowyellow I feel sick and headachey. Roll on Autumn

CherryCezzy Thu 06-Aug-20 21:45:50

I love the sun but the feeling is not mutual.

Chewbacca Thu 06-Aug-20 21:31:43

Never been one for hot weather but even more so now. I hate it when I can feel beads of perspiration trickling down my face and neck and so never sit in the sun. Which is a pity as my garden is south facing.

ladymuck Thu 06-Aug-20 21:00:40

My fathers occupation meant that I spent many years in the Middle East. The heat never bothered me.
Now, I feel quite ill when the temperature goes above about 75C

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 20:59:28

If I’m at home, like this week, I enjoy high temperatures as long as I can avoid chores and do nothing, just sit in the shade.

We’ve known all week that tomorrow is going to be a hot day - so I’m prepared. A friend is visiting and we’ll sit in our garden under a parasol with cool drinks and fruit slices from the fridge.

32 degrees when we’re abroad on holiday - with a pool - is just right. It’s lovely to dip in and out of the pool or sit with my feet dangling in, reading and then when it goes a little cooler in the evening we enjoy sitting at bars and restaurants outside.

Jaxjacky Thu 06-Aug-20 20:39:12

I think max 24/5 is my limit, even then, I’m indoors, blinds closed, fan on, we’re predicted 30+ for next 4 days. Ironically, my husband from Ireland, with typical Celtic colouring loves it, whereas I’m olive skinned! Post 62, nope...not even menopause to blame...

dahlia Thu 06-Aug-20 20:20:18

I, too, find the hot weather difficult, and I even dislike appointments when it is hot e.g. hair, dentist, as I feel anxious that I will begin to "glow" and my discomfort will become obvious to others. I find meditation helps at times, but I look forward to the cooler times of year. Love the long light evenings, though, when I can work in my garden, so guess I just want to control the weather!

craftyone Thu 06-Aug-20 20:07:17

I hate the heat, always have done. My house is like a cave right now, ready for the next few days, windows will all be open later, as soon as outside is cooler than inside. A big downside to living in the south, I am saving with the aim to move to cumbria in 7 years or so, yes I know anything could happen but nice to have an aim. It will mean full circle for me. It naturally depends on dd and her family, I would follow on, she wants to go back there and I would very willingly go too

My plantation shutters are closed all over the house right now and the fan is on. I have a tall fan upstairs and will put it on a timer when I go to bed, to waft cooler air over me. Its going to be a L--O--N--G night

Grandmabatty Thu 06-Aug-20 20:00:34

I enjoy warmth and sunshine but a gentle warmth, not intense heat. And that's just as well as I live in Scotland ?. I have a problem regulating my body temperature so I usually sit in the shade.

Jzpap Thu 06-Aug-20 19:59:13

I agree with OP I can’t cope with the heat as I’ve got older (basically since becoming post menopausal). I do however love sunshine. Despite lockdown we had the most beautiful Spring I’ve ever known as it was mild (not hot) and sunny every day. I also love sunny winter days especially if there’s a bit of snow around! I always say my limit temperature wise is 20C but at an absolute push and if I’m doing nothing 22C

Urmstongran Thu 06-Aug-20 19:48:38

I love it as long as my head & shoulders are in the shade.
??

seacliff Thu 06-Aug-20 19:31:28

I love it if I don't have much to do. I feel sorry for workers including my paramedic son, wearing all the protective gear, masks etc and lugging heavy people around in this heat.

Luckily we are 3 miles from the sea, so the best thing on a scorching day is to take a chair, book and drink, and sit there and enjoy the sea breeze. Provided the many visitors haven't found all our quiet spots.

anna7 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:21:43

I love the sun. Unfortunately, living in Greater Manchester, I don't see much of it. Luckily, it's supposed to be nice this weekend. I'm not holding my breath though. sunshine

GrandmaMoira Thu 06-Aug-20 19:18:29

I've never liked extreme heat but find it more difficult than ever these days. Last week I got so hot that my face was like a beetroot, I felt felt like I had a temperature and didn't cool down all evening. I'm quite red today as well. I'm dreading tomorrow.
Just to be awkward, I don't like the cold either!

BlueBelle Thu 06-Aug-20 19:11:36

I love it I m 75 and never grown out of loving the heat It’s the cold that I feel more as I get older

MellowYellow Thu 06-Aug-20 19:11:28

I can't take heat or sun, love the other seasons but grit my teeth through the summer. Been like this all my life!

Jaxjacky Thu 06-Aug-20 19:06:08

Hi, we’re in south Hampshire, a few years ago, I’d have been basking in the garden, wishing for a pool, now it’s blinds closed, fan on! Are you the same, or loving it?