Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(67 Posts)
12Michael Thu 13-Aug-20 06:17:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry start but it has been thundery overnight , mind you sleeping is very hard with this so called tropical nights .
Anyway today , usual trip by bus to Buckingham and Bicester and come back to watch cycling on TV this afternoon .
I only hope like most we get cooler and more lower temperatures.
Take Care ,
Mick

Justwidowed Thu 13-Aug-20 09:19:07

Good morning Mick and everyone from a sunny Lancashire. Rain last night,torrential at times but short lived, doesn't feel much fresher at the moment.

New GGD born on Tuesday,(2nd of 4 this year) not named until big sister 4yo has seen her.
The tables are turning I am now going out more than my four granddaughters, which caused some amusement in the family.
Hope everyone stays safe and that Gillybob news is better.
Hope Marydoll injections prove easier.I normally don't have much sympathy with people and painful injections but if they are into muscles and large needles I sympathise.As type 1 diabetic for 66 years my injections (5 a day) are subcutaneous and very fine needles and painless.

brook2704 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:18:16

What a disappointment nannytopsy I really hope something can be done so that your niece can get on her course after all the hard work put in. Also for all the other students who’s results are not what they deserve

Gingster Thu 13-Aug-20 09:17:24

Yes you’re right urms ??

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:12:30

Perhaps it should be a separate thread Gelisajams ?

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:10:58

I wouldn’t mind having a workout with one of those Gelisajams. It would improve flexibility and be a solution to my tight hips and thighs.
I had a massage 2 weeks ago that meant the tightness was eased for a while - but soon returns.
What do you find are the benefits of it?

gillybob Thu 13-Aug-20 09:06:34

Good morning from the NE coast where we have yet another miserable, damp, foggy and cold start to the day . It was 13 degrees when I left the house just over 20 minutes ago. Summer? What summer?

Looking at your gorgeous swimming pool, it might as well be another world Urms envy

A bit of an early start for me as I had to open up this morning and I have a lot to do today. It’s wages and pensions day and there is no way I am going to risk falling foul of the pensions regulator again .

Still I’m sure there will be some authoritative error waiting to bite me some time soon as my head is all over the place most days . They thrive on small errors made by small fish but seem to happily overlook the massive “errors” made by the sharks .

I hope your D’s visit to see little Ruby-Lou is successful today EllanVannin poor little lamb . Did I recall rightly that she might be coming home in October ? (or did I dream it? ) Try not to worry about the trains though. That horrendous accident wasn’t on the same line and Durham is quite a way from Aberdeen anyway . I could be wrong but I think it was a caused by a landslide following all the rain. Poor people .

I did a big shop for my dad on the way home from “that place” yesterday . He pretty much gets the same every week with a few extras thrown in . He is a very good housekeeper for a man in his 80’s and his little bungalow is immaculate . A dab hand with the slow cooker so he eats very well too.

Thinking of all the young people awaiting (or having just received) exam results . I hope they can work out a fair way to award their hard work. I read that many of the mock exams have been destroyed in England so no way to grade them. What a worry that must be and I fear that some will be very disappointed.

Anyway I had better get some work done now it’s hit 9 am.

I am still thinking of our missing friends BlueSapphire , dragonfly and Bellasnana too (thank you for remembering EV ) . Good to hear from CherryCezzy and hoping Marydoll is feeling a bit better today .

I hope everyone has as good a Thursday as possible (my 4th worst day or my joint 3rd best ?)

Love Gillybob xx

Gelisajams Thu 13-Aug-20 09:01:09

My Pilates stick is a bar with stretchy strong elastics with foot holds. You hold the bar and stretch and contort various body bits by pulling on the elastic while holding the bar. Sorry that’s not very clear! Basically it’s another instrument of torture!

Anniebach Thu 13-Aug-20 08:59:52

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Beechnut Thu 13-Aug-20 08:53:41

Good Morning from Severnside. It’s humid here. Our lightening and thunder last night was like yours lins. It’s trying it’s best to rain at the moment. I just wish it would get on with it.

I was up extra early today, showered and out to do my weekly shop a day early. I’ve been going over the river to do it in Wales since mask wearing came in. It also gives the car a run.

Enjoy your day all, looks like some of you have some exciting things to do ?

Grandmabatty Thu 13-Aug-20 08:44:46

Good morning All. There must be an east/west divide in Scotland this morning kalu as I have grey skies confronting me! I'm hoping it'll blow off later as I'm going to a friend's garden for a catch up. The peace has been broken by roadworks in my little street. They are digging up the road. Again. They're vying with an industrial lawn mower for noise levels at the moment! Apart from the garden visit later, I have nothing planned. I'll do a spot of tidying up. pantsglas I found it difficult to sit and do little when I first retired but two years on, I'm managing that just fine. And I have learned not to feel guilty about restful days. I hope everyone has a good day.

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:39:43

Sorry for your bad news Nannytopsy. Your niece will be so downcast after all her hard work. There is so much pressure on our young people right now. Give her extra TLC .

Pittcity Thu 13-Aug-20 08:37:32

It was fine Puzzler. Neighbours' cats often jump over the fence but this one landed on the gazebo roof, which was old, and went right through. It landed on its feet and zoomed off under the side gate.

cornergran Thu 13-Aug-20 08:32:52

Morning Mick, morning All from an overcast and slightly cooler corner of Somerset. Spectacular lightning with constant thunder last night, watched it for ages, only a little rain fell here though, quite relieved. No idea what we will do today other than find room to store Mr C’s new acquisition of a (very) mini scaffold platform. It seems it will make conservatory cleaning safer. hmm. Take care everyone and be gentle with yourselves.

grannysyb Thu 13-Aug-20 08:28:30

We have had rain! Had a short sharp shower yesterday after much rolling thunder. But when I got up it was raining. Seems to have stopped now, but much cooler, I hope it lasts. Another one waiting for the A level results, DGS did really well in his GCSEs but as he is good at exams decided to float through his mocks! Not a good idea, it's come back to bite him on the proverbial! We'll see! Stay cool everyone.

Nannytopsy Thu 13-Aug-20 08:27:18

Just heard our niece is not in to her course. Her results must have been significantly downgraded. How cruel to such a hard working, clever young lady.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 08:22:03

Good Morning All x.
A cloudy start but not so unbearable here. It was beautiful yesterday until early evening when the sky turned all colours and thunder rumbled for ages, then the heavens opened for the rest of the night.

I stood watching the lightening---at a distance which looked like beyond the Lancashire area, flash after flash amazing. Notice I said in the distance grin

I've slept very well because we've been a few degrees lower here and warm weather knocks me out anyway, so no problems there thank goodness.
Salad again today and finish off the melon, that'll do me.

I'll be thinking of D this morning as she travels up to Durham to see Ruby-Lou for the day. Although it's the North Eastern line, I don't think it'll be the same track where that horrendous accident was yesterday, but I'll still worry, as you do. GS ( 34 ) will be in charge of the 3 children today.

Next week I'll see how the land lies for visiting Asda. I haven't been since the beginning of March and I'm needing stocks for the cupboard---things you can't get locally. I've got to venture out sometime. As long as I've got a mask on it should be okay, thankfully I'm not a frail person.

I'm sitting here feeling guilty that I didn't get the neighbour's washing in last night, but it was when I saw the sky going yellow I had visions of being struck by lightening, so there it stayed on the line, limp and wet after the sudden heavy rain. Once the sun's out it'll dry so I won't feel so bad.

Hoping for some positive news from Gillybob, it would be a marvellous lift for her, there's nothing better than things going your way for a change x.
Also hope that everyone's surviving the heat okay ----just think icicles later on, so grin and bear it.

Bellasnanna, hope things are alright with you as I don't recollect hearing anything recently x
All those who are struggling I send (((hugs ))) xx
Stay safe everyone.

brook2704 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:20:06

Ooooh urmston I could just do with a dip in that pool right now ........

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:17:42

Hello everyone from south Cornwall. Lovely coolish rain here! Late night message from my son to ask if 4 year old granddaughter can come again today. Bless her, she can't stay away. So it's baking and painting in her knickers (her mum sends her in pretty clothes which I can never keep clean for two seconds) and Sarah and Duck again and chat chat chat grin and maybe a trip to the allotment. All change soon when she starts school... Back to her home with her this evening for spag bol, fair exchange! Have as good a day as you can everyone.

brook2704 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:17:03

Good morning everyone from a warm cloudy Inverness. Yesterday the mist lingered most of the morning but by lunchtime it had cleared and the afternoon was hot and sunny. Hot by Inverness standards anyhow - about 22º - Just right for me!
Later today I’m looking forward to seeing my friend for coffee and a catch up at the local garden centre , then a quick shop in Tesco.
I do hope you get the test results today grandmattie and your DGD test is negative
Enjoy visiting your DS swanky new pad scentia , I hope he likes the pictures and I hope you’re feeling much better soon Sar53, take it easy today
Have a great day everyone especially especially those with troubles and worries whatever the day brings ?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Aug-20 08:14:39

Cesar cutting the grass now before it gets too hot.
It’s very relaxing watching a man at work.
#lazygran

The gardens are lush right now thanks to his TLC.

Greyduster Thu 13-Aug-20 08:13:50

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a dull, breezy, thankfully slightly cooler South Yorkshire. More post holiday laundry today - can’t tackle the ironing yet! The garden needs tidying up. DD and her menfolk are travelling back from the West Country today so a nervous day for me until they arrive home. DH’s hearing is not getting any better. Me: “How is your back this morning?” Him: “Cloudy!” Apparently I mumble! Who knew? Have a good day folks.

Nannytopsy Thu 13-Aug-20 08:13:17

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Gingster I feel your DGD’s pain - DH’s niece is in the same boat. All A* at GCSE and wants to read medicine but so stressed about what will happen today after this complete fiasco.
We are hoping for some rain soon - yesterday was pretty awful here.
Keep safe everyone

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:02:26

Sorry about your gazebo Pittcity - but was the cat alright?

Kalu Thu 13-Aug-20 08:00:09

Good morning all from another sunny day in Glasgow where I am enjoying my al fresco kick start espresso watching the birds fly in and out for breakfast.

I too have learned to pace myself to the extent that ‘must do’ is no longer part of my vocabulary at last Pants and Puzzler. Should I decide to do nothing more than read my book all day, it’s is such a pleasure with no guilt. ?

Washing on and I will spend the rest of the day footering and faffing outdoors. Messaged GD1 wishing her goodluck returning to school today, her reply was, these early mornings are a killer! Too many long lies during lockdown?

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Pittcity Thu 13-Aug-20 07:58:42

Good morning from thundery Colchester. It's warm and rainy.
Yesterday we stayed in the garden today we'll be indoors.
We are expecting delivery of a replacement gazebo as a cat fell through the roof of the old one...it won't be going up today.