Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling crap, what makes you feel better

(116 Posts)
ayse Sat 19-Sep-20 19:31:53

Just about to watch highlights from Strictly.

I’ve been experimenting with decoupage, reading and watching boxed sets. I had Now TV for a bit to see Game of Thrones but it’s now cancelled as there wasn’t much else I fancied. I’ve done some family tree research that I hope to return to shortly.

For me living in the present is my way of managing all this. Granny always said “a little of what you fancy does you good”

I’ve avoided too much news and have taken to listening to LBC phone ins when I fancy.

I’m a lucky person as I enjoy my own company and have plenty of online chats with my daughters. We debate the current state and that gets me reading all sorts of things as they have differing opinions on the state of play.

I hope you are feeling better soon ?

merlotgran Sat 19-Sep-20 19:22:45

My niece will be facing an operation for kidney cancer in a week's time.

We're all worried that it might be postponed.

That's it really.

Doodledog Sat 19-Sep-20 19:15:54

top up, not popup!

Doodledog Sat 19-Sep-20 19:15:28

I treated myself to some Aromatherapy Associates products, and love using them when I'm feeling in need of a pick-me-up.

A hot bath with oil in it, then a film or some music, and a popup with body lotion and pillow spray when I go to bed works wonders.

It's nearly the time of year for hot chocolate, too. A cup of flavoured chocolate will soon be the finishing touch smile.

Gingster Sat 19-Sep-20 19:11:45

I think it’s more scary this time round. I expected us to be getting back to near normal by now but it seems as if we are back to square one.

Just try to take each day as it comes. Keep busy and think positive thoughts . Find something to laugh about

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 19:00:34

Oh Maw it must be extra hard for people on their own, hope your Hattie will be OK. Yes I can recommend a large brandy too! ?

MissAdventure Sat 19-Sep-20 18:57:50

Oh sorry, yes.
Music for me.
I love it if I can find a good music programme, and find some people here who are watching too. smile

kittylester Sat 19-Sep-20 18:56:51

We had neighbours garden drinks in the sun this afternoon which was lovely. Curry and wine now is good. And, I love buying flowers for the house.

There is too much rubbish around in our wider family at the moment that I cant bear to list it.

Maw sending best wishes for Hattie (and the familygrin)

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 18:51:29

Oh dear “You’ll Never Walk Alone” has just totally finished me off ??????

Kate1949 Sat 19-Sep-20 18:48:31

Same here in Birmingham jane.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Sep-20 18:48:22

It's not a fear of the virus so much, as fear that we're being steered off course.

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 18:45:56

“Their” education -I knew that!

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 18:45:08

The prospect of further lockdowns, whether local or national, depresses me and gives me a sick feeling. Just praying that the schools can stay open as my DGC really need the social interaction and of course there education. DGS in London only started school on Thursday and it would be heartbreaking to snatch that away from him.
I am further depressed because it is possible that my lovely Hattie who is only 4 may have a kidney condition/illness and is to spend Tuesday at the vet’s for a kidney scan and further tests.
I am not a “mad dog lady” but she has been a lifesaver since I lost my DH nearly 3 years ago, great company, affectionate, gentle and a reason to get out of bed some mornings. The thought of losing her years before I expected to is one I find hard to contemplate.
Sorry to sound so down and I wish I could suggest anything to cheer you up FannyC - the daughters and grandchildren are at least 1 1/2 hours away in London and Birmingham and of course Birmingham is locked down now.
A couple of large brandies helped last night and the programme about the musicals is good but only has 15 minutes to go.
On the whole company can usually lift my spirits but it’s a bit lonely here today.

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 18:34:19

Hi Fanny I don't think a second lockdown will worry us as much as the first. First time round it was very scary, especially people over 70 being told to go home and stay there, no shopping, no family, no nothing! Or perhaps that's how I understood it and really panicked, thought we were bound to get it, no way out. Now we know what we can or can't do, guess we got used to it and have no desire personally to mix, shop or travel like before.

janeainsworth Sat 19-Sep-20 18:32:23

Hello Fanny. We are in lockdown already here in the Northumberland, although the rates of infection are way below those of other areas in the NE. We are all lumped together because some people commute from Northumberland to Newcastle. Just fancy that!
To their credit, the Council leaders are trying to get an exemption for grandparents so they can still do informal childcare for their grandchildren.
It's crap.
A gin and tonic is making me feel a bit better.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Sep-20 18:21:34

Hello
I'm a very new member.
I've been made to feel so welcome here.
But, bugger me, I'm having a hard time now. I think that we are getting ready for some sort of lockdown.
Shall we share what what we are worried about and what helps?
I'll start. I'm watching chanel 4s 100 greatest musicals. It's flipping awesome x