Gransnet forums

Chat

Is lock down making you lazy.....

(254 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 14-Nov-20 09:45:35

Being as the dark nights and colder weather now rolling in i find myself starting to get lazy. In the last LD i worked every day in the garden and also walked. Now i walk for an hour a day and after completing necessary chores, time is on my hands. I have things i could do but i can't be bothered. Before there was a sense of urgency to complete tasks as i had social activities to go to, family and friends to visit and meet up with. In the summer there was the nuturing of plants in the greenhouse and garden and even after evening meal the watering of both to be done. I find myself spending more time trawling on the internet or sitting watching tv and knitting. I dont like it, is this the slippery slope to complete inactivity!!!! I also find that y diet is also up the creek because i get up later i have breakfast later, dont want lunch and make do with a cuppa and some bics around 3ish. Rarely do i want an evening meal but have to cook for DH so make myself eat something. I feel the whole stucture of my daily life has disappeared.

Susan56 Sat 14-Nov-20 09:56:08

I have noticed it can take me all morning to complete the household jobs I would normally get done in an hour before going out.

Like you travels,I felt I was on the slippery slope to total inertia.

I saw on another thread the suggestion of making a list of things to complete in a day and have found that most days this motivates me.

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 10:08:20

Yes I do. Lockdown has made me spend far too much time on Gransnet, wasting time. This second lockdown especially. It’s because I’m bored and fed up, especially on a day like today when it’s miserable and wet. I’ve found I don’t want to go out for a daily walk because I walked the local area to death last time. I miss my family and friends. I miss the theatre and meals out. I miss holidays and travel. I miss going to the north (I live in the south) to see family and friends. I miss normal sad
If this is going to be the pattern for the rest of my life, I don’t think I want it.

Nannytopsy Sat 14-Nov-20 10:10:21

Us too! Compounded by DH unable to sleep, so very late starts every morning. I have so many jobs on the list, including 4 rooms to decorate.

Missfoodlove Sat 14-Nov-20 10:14:45

My business is mothballed as I cannot operate under current conditions, I have not worked since February.

I have to create structure to each day, wether it’s clearing out a cupboard, baking, gardening or packing a picnic and going for a hike.
Without that I would fester.

Juliet27 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:15:56

I read that apathy is a symptom of dementia. I’m hoping mine is down to the boredom and frustration of the current situation. We need a light at the end of this tunnel.

Lucca Sat 14-Nov-20 10:19:17

I’ve always been rather lazy where household jobs are concerned....(and paperwork) but am happy to do my 10,000 steps.

tanith Sat 14-Nov-20 10:21:57

I was getting up and out for an early walk all through the Summer lockdown then showered and ate breakfast took care of a few chores but most of the day spent gardening or reading outside it was bearable. Now I’m getting up a bit later and not going for a walk till later and hating being inside so much.

I miss my family especially the younger ones and I haven’t been able to fly to visit my son and his children since February and they are growing up so fast. Will we ever have normal again?

Calendargirl Sat 14-Nov-20 10:28:55

I think that the first lockdown was a novelty, the weather was good, we were all in it ‘together’. Back in March/April, Christmas and the year end seemed ages away, and to be honest, I think most of us thought it would somehow be sorted by then.

It’s not, although treatments for Covid have improved, and the vaccine news is hopeful.

The government in-fighting doesn’t help, we need to feel confidence in our leaders, the weather is typical November, with four more winter months to get through, Christmas is up in the air, it all seems flat and uninspiring.

But sat here listening to beautiful music on Classic FM, looking at the Telegraph, chatting to DH.

Lots to be grateful for.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:36:31

There's nothing wrong with a change of routine and habits.

I think the weather has a great influence on our activity levels so I'm trying to make an extra effort with longer walks now that it's autumn.

Still, I feel the 'hibernation' mood setting in, the craving for carbs. It's nothing to worry about, not 'being lazy', just a natural response to the seasons.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Nov-20 10:37:36

Yes, I agree, it's hard to get motivated. I sit around for far too long. I need to change my mindset, but it's hard when there's nowhere to go and few to see. These darker and shorter daylight hours don't help, either. Sometimes, it's hard to be positive, isn't it?

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 10:49:30

Well it’s Saturday morning, it’s throwing it down with rain, and I’m still in my pjs. Normally, even on a wet Saturday, I’d be dressed because family would be popping round for a coffee.
Anyone else still in pjs?

Curlywhirly Sat 14-Nov-20 10:50:12

I think the time of year has a lot to do with it. It's dull, miserable and getting colder. I am naturally a real busybody, can't sit still, easily get bored and am usually looking for jobs to do; but when autumn sets in and for most of the winter I really slow down and park myself on the sofa far too often! Couple the time of year with a lockdown and it's not surprising that we feel apathetic and unenthusiastic. Hopefully as Christmas approaches and lockdown eases, we'll get our mojos back. You aren't alone travelsafar!

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 10:50:33

Yes Mapleleaf I often find it difficult to find some positivity at the moment.

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 10:51:24

Totally agree Curlywhirly.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 14-Nov-20 10:51:58

Still in my pjs! Wearing them so much they are wearing out?

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:00:34

Well, I am up, showered, dressed done some housework and enjoying coffee - the rest of the day apart from cooking meals, I have no plans apart from taking the dog for a muddy walk. I shall undoubtedly spend a lot f the rest of the day on my backside watching the mindless repeats with my DH

Puzzler61 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:00:34

Yes, definitely less productive now.
I call my laziness “relaxing” and I don’t feel quite so bad about it then.
I do even more “relaxing” on a wet, windy, grey Saturday. ?
Exercise will be dancing round the room when Strictly is on later ?

Chewbacca Sat 14-Nov-20 11:05:41

At the beginning of the first lockdown, I was going to finish all half done craft projects. At the beginning of the 2nd lockdown, I was going to finish all half done craft projects, plus paint the wash stand in the bedroom and make a start on hand made Christmas cards.

I'm just waiting for my mojo to kick in and then I'll start.......

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 11:16:43

Most unusual for me I must say, that I too am still in my pj's which is part of all this that I don't like. Answering knocks to the door by the postmen while still dressed for bed isn't my style at all. I'm usually sprightly and dressed even with the lipstick on grin

My walking ability needs to return as it once was as well because I can feel/sense the lack of movement and its detrimental effect which is no good at all.
To think I used to skip a 1/4 of a mile through a large cemetery to Asda once a fortnight whereas now I'd probably only get so far and wish to join the " residents "----it's that bad.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:21:02

maddyone, only just dressed here!

I can't see any point in rushing to get dressed when it's raining outside. The dog goes back to bed anyway!

Georgesgran Sat 14-Nov-20 11:26:31

Totally agree with all the comments. I’ve always hated the short days and long dark nights but when DH was away, I always had a kennel full of dogs to see to - long gone because of DH’s health problems. The dogs and housework would often take all day, I’d be on the last walk at 10pm some nights, then back to water the pots, tubs and baskets while swigging a large glass of white!
Now, I’m barely dressed by 11, fed up walking aimlessly, eating too much and dressing gown on by 9 and vegetating in-front of the TV until bedtime.

As someone said the first lockdown was a novelty, but the gloss has definitely worn off now.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:27:02

My daily routine has changed with the weather, but this isn’t unusual.

So this time of year, if it is suitable I’ll potter in the garden for half an hour or so, but I do spend more time crafting and art work. Or I read or watch a bit of television, although there isn’t vast quantities that I like.

I only ever allow one day a week for housework - I resent giving up more time than that - but do stick religiously to it as otherwise the house would become a tip.

I try to get out as well but I am not very enthusiastic when the weather is grotty.

I had Christmas markets and food fares as well as NT properties marked in my calender☹️for this month and the lead up to Christmas. Oh well look forward to next year when it will seem all the sweeter.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:37:07

Whitewavemark2, next year will be big celebrations all round - to compensate.

Right, time to log off and put the radio on, then do a token 'something' so I'll end the day having achieved a little!

cupaffull Sat 14-Nov-20 11:38:00

maddyone

Well it’s Saturday morning, it’s throwing it down with rain, and I’m still in my pjs. Normally, even on a wet Saturday, I’d be dressed because family would be popping round for a coffee.
Anyone else still in pjs?

Half eleven and still in PJ'Ss mithering about all I should be doing.
Didn't sleep til 02.30 tho so completely out of sorts today. Got to pop out for a paper and fresh milk and rolls, being very careful of course sad