Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas easing of restrictions

(132 Posts)
Katek Mon 23-Nov-20 09:30:44

Just wondered how others felt about this - I’m not certain that I will actually take advantage of it. Virus is still out there. I’m still vulnerable and all my family teach so lots of exposure there. I’ve got this far so don’t want to mess it up when we’re just on the point of an effective vaccine being delivered. I’ll have to weigh this up very carefully - certainly won’t be running around shouting ‘I’m free’!

Jillybird Mon 23-Nov-20 15:34:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aepgirl Mon 23-Nov-20 15:07:30

Does the virus know it must stay inactive over the Christmas break? I’d rather survive this Christmas on my own than not have the chance to enjoy a Christmas in the future.

Maremia Mon 23-Nov-20 14:53:36

Great to see so many sensible opinions. Stay strong, stay safe and survive to enjoy Easter!

Doreen5 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:48:59

We'll be celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas Day at home on our own whatever the restrictions are. No point in messing things up now when a vaccine is, hopefully, on the horizon. Haven't been to a shop, hairdressers, Church or anywhere except the countryside since the beginning of March so it's not worth risking anything now.

FarNorth Mon 23-Nov-20 14:40:33

Olive53

In October 2020, 43,265 people died
In October 2019 43,257 people died
In October 2018 41,466 people died

Where is the excess mortality?????

Can you imagine what the 2020 figure would have been if there were no restrictions and everyone was mixing together in crowded places, as in other years?

FarNorth Mon 23-Nov-20 14:24:24

If the government categorically said, no mixing, and we are in a high area this time, that would settle it, but can imagine I will be viewed as a killjoy.

This is an awful thought - that some may feel pressured to mingle, just because the clueless government says it's allowed.

There should be restrictions ; determined flaunters of rules will still do that, but no-one will then be saying "Boris says it's okay, so don't be a spoilsport".

Brigidsdaughter Mon 23-Nov-20 14:09:50

MiniMoon I agree. I saw young family out walking in beautiful clothes and thought - not a word about 'having our Diwali' or being robbed of it

BusterTank Mon 23-Nov-20 14:07:54

How stupid ! Is the virus taking time of for Christmas , I don't think so . What is Boris thinking , it total madness . There will be so many idiots who will be mixing because the government said they could . Boris has to realise this not a popularity contest and he is signing people death certificate by allowing this happening . I will not be taking part in mixing with different house holds .

sart Mon 23-Nov-20 14:04:39

I won't be changing my plans. My DD offered to come and pick me up and take me back for Christmas, they live about 300 miles away, normally I could drive myself but am awaiting a cataract op. I have decided to stay put, using my elderly dog as an excuse as he can't travel and wouldn't adapt to a different environment, of course I will miss my family but with cases of covid increasing in my area, I intend to try and stay alive and see them next year

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 13:53:40

Good post Frizzywizzy. I agree with you.
ALANaV, in the words of our wonderful FannyCarnforth shoo

ALANaV Mon 23-Nov-20 13:46:44

What continues to amaze me is how Boris or his advisors can tell when the virus is going to be active .....it is ridiculous to put a date or a time when it is ok to go about your normal business ...who does he think he is, King Canute ? I have kept up as normal a life as possible and I think everyone should be allowed to decide for themselves and not be dictated to by what is turning into a Dictatorship and is no longer any form of democracy. The right to free will and civil rights having been removed is nothing short of illegal ...but no one will stand up to him or his puppet masters angry

Theoddbird Mon 23-Nov-20 13:45:08

It is madness to have a Christmas break from restrictions. This will send cases up in the new year. Then of course everyone will blame the government. If they don't allow the break from restrictions people will complain They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I for one will spend a solitary Christmas...it is safer. x

Frizzywizzy Mon 23-Nov-20 13:43:45

On behalf of all those people whose businesses have been devastated by the pandemic, I would prefer us not to get together over Christmas. Apart from people living alone or in a support bubble.

For people who own gyms, hairdressers, beauticians and other equally affected small independents, this pandemic has been DEVASTATING. My relation is closed down yet again and Government support simply does not scratch the surface. Lost jobs, lost homes, suicidal thoughts - some people’s situations have been unbearable.

So no, I don’t want a 5 day Christmas loosening of restrictions, resulting in my relations having to close down again during a 25 day lockdown (as discussed as a possibility on the News) It is absolutely selfish and deplorable that people (apart from people living alone) should be bleating on about needing a family Christmas when other people have been so severely impacted and are potentially losing everything.

Grannynannywanny Mon 23-Nov-20 13:30:07

I don’t see the logic in this decision. If it’s not been safe to have family gatherings all year what’s different about Christmas? Just because some folk might have been preparing to flout the guidelines they shouldn’t have been given the green light by the government.

Also, I feel it’s a slap in the face for those who were denied the chance to be with their dying relatives other than a brief goodbye. Some were even denied that scenario. They just had to accept it and get on with it for the greater good.

Extended family and friends have been denied the opportunity to attend funerals due to severe restrictions on numbers. Just 2 weeks ago we saw on the news a video clip from a crematorium when 2 sons were told they had to move their chairs and sit apart from their heartbroken mother and were unable to comfort her at their father’s funeral service.

Now we are going to be given the go ahead to have a jolly get together for the Christmas holidays. I’m not sure it’s going to be worth pay back time Jan/Feb.

suttonJ Mon 23-Nov-20 13:28:48

As my sons say (hopefully in jest!), ‘Let’s have our normal Christmas get together and kill grandma!’
Watch the spike in elderly deaths from mid January onwards.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 13:22:59

We have friends we thought were intelligent, sensible, had common sense. Chatting on the phone last week we were told that if the government restricted numbers indoors they’d have to have son and family on day one, daughter and family on day two and elderly parents on day three. Words failed me. I finished the call abruptly before I ruined a long term friendship.
I implore the government to tell us all to stay at home just for one Christmas in a whole lifetime. The only exception would be those living alone with potential mental health issues could join their bubble if they choose to.
pen50 death might be worth it for you to have a merry Christmas but think of all those who don’t think like you who will pay with their lives for your Merry Christmas.

Nannina Mon 23-Nov-20 13:21:54

I hope there’s not going to be pressure put on people who are not happy to attend family get togethers. I’ve shielded for 8 months and am not prepared to waste that much as I would love to have a normal Christmas. I understand the point about Government only formalising what people would do anyway but I think the government seeming to endorse 5 days of 4 households mixing will encourage many who would otherwise keep to pre lockdown restrictions

SJV07 Mon 23-Nov-20 13:15:46

It is only ONE day, for Heavens' sake. I have family in America, so won't see them, except on Facetime, and other side of the family will be at home in England!

I am not worried, hate mass gatherings anyway! Can do those anytime, Covid permitting. No longer bother with tree, lights etc as small people have grown up!!!

What is all the fuss about???

Pumpkinpie Mon 23-Nov-20 13:14:34

I think it’s incredibly stupid & shortsighted but then that’s Boris all over !

melp1 Mon 23-Nov-20 13:08:06

Oh Ketek - can't wait till we're all running round shouting I'm free! grin

biba70 Mon 23-Nov-20 13:05:43

Honestly, I'd much rather accept that we have to forget about family Christmas this year and not put all the sacrifices made in jeopardy again. sad

CathyDavio Mon 23-Nov-20 13:01:11

Why don't you all check out Public Health England it tells you every thing you need to know.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 12:55:45

BlueRuby oh God - I'd forgotten about the students shock
This is going to be a nightmare.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 12:52:39

Excellent Maw
I really don't understand folk.

MawBe Mon 23-Nov-20 12:45:16

Says it all!