Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Mon 14-Dec-20 06:17:11

Good Morning Everyone,
its dark ,and looks like its been wet in the night here in Brackley.
Today , housework , pick up my prescriptions from chemist and watch TV .
Yesterday morning I watched Saturday Kitchen rerun on Sundays, anyway there was something they did on the programme which caught my eye.
Battered Brussel sprouts deep fried , I have done them years ago just deep frying them , but not battered its a pity it has not caught on with Fish & Chip shops.
Take Care,
Mick

Urmstongran Mon 14-Dec-20 19:26:26

None taken Doodle
?

Polly99 Mon 14-Dec-20 17:25:01

Sorry to intrude on this lovely thread but I just wanted to thank Doodle for her observations regarding doctor's receptionists. I worked as a "Dragon" for fifteen years because I loved helping people and enjoyed a good and friendly relationship with the regular patients and others. This all gradually changed as the protocol was altered to try to limit the number of patient appointments available. We had new training and a supervisor listened in to make sure that we followed the script. I felt desperately sorry for people who I felt really needed to be seen but had to keep telling them to "ring back tomorrow" etc. Also took a lot of abuse from patients. Of course the doctors were lovely to the patients who blamed reception staff. Eventually I took early retirement as it was all so stressful. I don't deny that there are some rude and unpleasant "gatekeepers" around. Possibly the doctors prefer to employ those who will strictly enforce the rules rather than those who are more compassionate but it is not an easy job these days.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:18:17

Well, a late good afternoon, folks!! Been a busy day.
After breakfast and shower I got the slow cooker out and it's now merrily cooking - trying to decide whether to add a dod of red wine???? I've just had the prescription delivered which the doc prescribed over the phone on Thursday morning!! Must change delivering chemist!!
Taichinan have you tasted a deep fried Mars bar? I've been tempted but just couldn't quite do it!
This morning after talking to my school friends I had to take a urine sample to the docs - It's got to go straight into that narrow tube!!! I'm afraid I haven't got the right equipment, not helped that I can't see what I am doing. It's literally hit or miss!

Enough of that. Hope everone has had a good day - tomorrow is another day.

grandMattie Mon 14-Dec-20 16:00:58

What I have found interesting was that our surgery was lovely. Then last year, it was subsumed by the bigger one locally and, I regret to say, the reception is less than nice - Curt, unhelpful, etc. Such a difference.

Doodle Mon 14-Dec-20 15:44:13

grandMattie and Urmstongran it wasn’t my intention to say that all receptionists are angels (far from). In my opinion there is no excuse for rudeness at all and certainly not when sick people are trying to make an appointment.
I didn’t address my reply to you grandMattie as it wasn’t in response to your post directly. There are many posts on GN referring to the dragon doctors receptionists and to the fact that they ask personal questions that are intrusive. I apologise unreservedly if you thought I was posting to you directly.
Urmstongran you are right there are some mean and unpleasant and rude and unkind receptionists around but I was just saying there are also many who are just trying to help but are hindered by the requirements of the surgery they work for.
I wasn’t a receptionist so don’t have a particular axe to grind but I have worked in several surgeries and seen how things work behind the scenes. No offence intended to anyone.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Dec-20 15:28:06

As a medical secretary for 35y (trained back in the day at college on a 2y medical secretarial course, learning all about the NHS background, medical Pitman’s shorthand - it was 1971!) who worked in GP surgeries and several hospital departments I know of what I speak!
?
Some receptionists are unkind.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:19:28

A mixture of sleet and snow and rain falling here in the very south of Denmark.

Me off shopping a 7 km round trip on my bike, and golly! was I wet and cold when I came home.

Coffee and a hot shower later, I am beginning to thaw out.

grandMattie Mon 14-Dec-20 15:04:37

Doodle, I’m always polite and I don’t see why they should be rude. I know the difference between firm and rude.
I’m sorry if you feel insulted, that certainly wasn’t my intention.

LauraNorder Mon 14-Dec-20 13:23:27

Thanks for that insight Doodle, I’m sure you’re right.

Susan56 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:20:59

Thank you Lins.x

Doodle,I totally agree.Years ago when working in the dispensary of a GP’s surgery, I had to occasionally cover on reception.One GP used to stand next to us while we were on the phone saying no,no,no absolutely not,not seeing anyone extra.If people cancelled we weren’t allowed to fill the slot.Some clinics he would see maximum four patients even though twelve slots were allocated.The drs set the rules for the surgery so all the questions the receptionists ask they have been told to ask by the dr.

Doodle Mon 14-Dec-20 13:11:02

In defence of the Dragon ladies the other side of the argument.

On many threads there have been comments about how hard it is to get an appointment with the doctor because of the dragons on the reception desk. Also how these same receptionists ask personal questions wanting to know why you want to see the doctor.

The doctors themselves are so nice, but their staff are awful.

Just think for a minute who employs these dragons (the doctors) who trains these dragons (the doctors) who sets the rules by which they have to work (the doctors) who tells them what they have to say to patients (the doctors).
Who reads the riot act to the receptionist who has the temerity to ask the doctor if he/she could possibly see Mrs Bloggs as an extra as she’s on the phone and crying (the doctor)
Who is nice as pie to the patient and then throws a tantrum with the receptionist who allocated an appointment to someone the doctor didn’t want to see (the doctor)

My point is not all doctors are nice (although many are)
Not all receptionists are dragons (although some are)

If the receptionist asks why you need to see the doctor it’s because the doctor has told the receptionist they must do that.
In my experience the receptionists hate doing so and find it as embarrassing and upsetting as the patient.
These hard hearted dragons often go home with sadness in their hearts at the loss of a patient, the illness of a young child, the hopelessness of an addict and all the things they encounter during the day.

At the end of the day, if you feel you need to see a GP don’t be put off by the dragon or anyone. Be polite and persevere.

Lins1066 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:38:13

Such good news about your family testing negative Susan ?

grandMattie Mon 14-Dec-20 11:58:38

It appears I can’t read. Right place, right time, wrong day. Appointment Wednesday ?

Blossoming Mon 14-Dec-20 11:17:15

Good morning all, still raining! The Christmas cards and presents have to be posted today, so we just have to brave it. I hope there isn’t a long queue outside.

maydonoz Mon 14-Dec-20 11:13:07

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Welwyn in Herts.
Today I'm slightly layed up with my back which I think I strained somehow over the weekend, but am looking after DGS as I had promised, who's feeling a bit miserable due to head cold. Just got him to sleep so hopefully he'll feel better when he wakes up. I've managed to find some pain relief so things should ease up a bit.
Wishing you all a comfortable day.

Taichinan Mon 14-Dec-20 10:59:53

Well, would you believe it! It's not raining on the Angus coast and I can even see the teeniest patch of blue. So definitely a good morning everyone!
My sleep pattern is getting beyond a joke at the moment. I'm getting six solid hours, but at the wrong time - 3.30-9.30am is not good when the days are so short! But at least I'm sleeping, so shouldn't complain.
Grammaretto, there are no words, just I'm so sorry for your loss. And your poor MiL too. ??
Ash so glad to hear of your negative result. Lovely flowers and Christmas shelves - your flat must look like a Christmas Wonderland!
Not sure about deep fried battered Brussels sprouts Mick - though they're one of my favourite vegs. Up here, of course, we have our deep fried mars bars, but I haven't tried them either! Just thinking of them and wondering about the melting choc in the deep frier reminded me of when I did a Baked Alaska a few years ago. I couldn't remember the timing in the hot oven so googled 'Baked Alaska'. Google came up with an article on global warming!
I've only had time to skim read the first few entries this morning, but must get going. I shall settle down later and have a good read. Have a good day everyone, take care and stay safe. ???

Gingster Mon 14-Dec-20 10:40:03

Thanks GG. Will give it a try. ?

Grandmadougal Mon 14-Dec-20 10:37:22

Good morning from a bright Norfolk, first sun in days, going to make the ,
Most of it and sit outside, well wrapped up, for my morning coffee.

So nice to keep up with all your news, it definitely brightens my day, although I can’t catch up till later that means more news to read.

School run this afternoon, making the most of seeing DGS as it looks like Christmas will be on our own, DS and DD very wary as front line staff of us getting together, so we all decided on fake Christmas when it’s safe next year.

To all those with worries and upset try to have as good a day as possible.

Mapleleaf Mon 14-Dec-20 10:09:08

Goodness morning,

It's a lovely, sunny morning thank goodness, after the wet, grey, miserable weekend we've just endured. At least DH and I were able to get the tree and trimmings up, so we look fairly festive now. It cheers the place up, and goodness me, we all need some of that, don't we?

Sending thoughts and ?to Ann and Gramaretto.

Will be popping out to hand deliver some cards today - it will be nice just to be outdoors for a while.

Good to hear your result was negative, Ashcombe.

I can't say that I fancy deep fried sprouts, even with batter, but it's a good thing we don't all like the same thing ?. They probably taste better than I imagine.

Take care everyone.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 10:05:41

Good Morning All x.
Goodness me, the sky here is so threatening, what a colour it's like Armageddon. I can see the cards sitting here for another day before I attempt to go out and post them as yesterday was a washout all day.

Another moan coming up-----although I thoroughly enjoyed my beef dinner yesterday, I wasn't impressed with the beef at all. Nice flavour, but----it had a seam of gristle going right through the centre of it which meant that it wouldn't carve as a whole piece so it was done in two halves.
I was disgusted really as it wasn't cheap, so I must warn D as I'd cut off 3/4's of it for her after it was bought, being too big a piece for myself.

Well the murky sky has shifted so perhaps it'll leave me free to go to the post box later. At least the Oz ones left a couple of weeks ago, D had taken them to be weighed. I do miss the post office here round the corner.

Much sadness for Grammaretto which is always emphasised at this time of year. Ann too and families concerned flowers
It's a year ago since I last saw my GD's partner before he died in March this year. A time when everything turned upside down for everyone. No wonder I'm not " with it " this year.

Must get tidying up. How can one person ( me ) have the place looking as though a bomb's hit it ? Very disorganised.

Thoughts to those with heavy hearts flowers Gilly x
Have as good a day as you all can and stay safe and well xx

Grandmabatty Mon 14-Dec-20 09:53:59

Good morning All from a wet Polmont. I've been to the doctor's for a spot of rummaging and I'm happy with the results. There's evidence of an infection but it appears to have sorted itself out and no treatment is required. She's keeping an eye on me and if the unpleasant symptoms return, she will refer me for investigation. But all is right in Batty Towers. Grammarretto my condolences to you and your family. You are having such a horrible time. Marydoll your tale of the rug tape reminded me of my ex. When we bought our first house he tried to fit the hall carpet himself with double sided tape. Needless to say it shifted. In a fit of temper he threw the hammer which bounced and went right through the glass panel at the side of the front door. Two minutes later a knock on the door from a concerned neighbour. I hid and blushed in mortification. Today I'm not babysitting because of the aforementioned appointment but I'm going to dd about lunchtime for a christmas cupcake. And the sun has just come out. Have a good day all.

grandMattie Mon 14-Dec-20 09:53:25

Our surgery is appalling. The doctors are nice enough but the dragon ladies went to the KGB charm school - miss Piggy’s is too genteel!
It is a constant battle to see anyone in normal times. It took me over an hour being shunted from telephone to website, to even manage to find an address to write to! Now, not a hope! Which is why I’m surprised to have been sent an appointment.

Grammaretto Mon 14-Dec-20 09:43:33

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
A patch of actual blue sky and a hazy sun!
Not what was forecast but I am not complaining.
Thanks for all the good wishes.
Gt news Ashcombe. Good luck Urmston
We are very lucky with our GP and surgery unlike the in-Law's one which is brutal.
I dared to ask for a home visit once! Well, "we have many patients you know"
Funny thing, once I felt defeated and had put the phone down, MiL had a call from them so maybe their bark is worse than their bite?
Hope the day goes well for you all.

Anniebach Mon 14-Dec-20 09:43:07

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Mon 14-Dec-20 09:22:18

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where the rain has stopped for the moment but the forecast is promising more for the foreseeable future.
Condolences to Ann and Grammaretto. What a horrible time you having.
Good news for Ashcombe
Yesterday the smoke alarm was beeping and we couldn't fathom how to open it to change the battery. Got instruction manual from pack we were given when we moved into the house, but user instructions were missing! Went on the internet, that was as clear as mud. The electrician next door but one eventually came home so asked for help. You need 2 screwdrivers not 1 he said.
Thought it was sorted.
Tried 3 batteries! 2 'new' and one out of my mixer but the annoying beep continued. Thought we might be sleeping in the camper at this point. Went to coop and bought new battery. It worked!
A 2 minute job lasted 6 hours! It took ages for that annoying peep to get out of my head.
Moral of the story don't store unused batteries! Apparently batteries have a use by date on them which I didn’t realise.
Off to collect our click and collect, then a walk from one end of our village to the other hand delivering cards, then back along the shore. Lunch is in the fridge. We always make double if we have a roast then it’s an easy meal next day.
This afternoon I may just get DGD’s dress finished. Hope my sewing machine behaves better than my overlocker did the other day.. I did ask if it was too late for Santa to bring me a new overlocker which wasn’t such a pain to thread. One can live in hope!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?