Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Mon 14-Dec-20 06:17:11

Good Morning Everyone,
its dark ,and looks like its been wet in the night here in Brackley.
Today , housework , pick up my prescriptions from chemist and watch TV .
Yesterday morning I watched Saturday Kitchen rerun on Sundays, anyway there was something they did on the programme which caught my eye.
Battered Brussel sprouts deep fried , I have done them years ago just deep frying them , but not battered its a pity it has not caught on with Fish & Chip shops.
Take Care,
Mick

GrannySomerset Mon 14-Dec-20 09:21:42

Grey and still at present though with rain forecast later. Still feeling very unmotivated which is unusual for me but I am not alone there. DD has agreed that their proposed Christmas visit is not a good idea which is a relief but still a disappointment. There doesn’t seem much point in putting up a tree but DH really wants one even though he has nothing to do with it. In the past his contribution was confined to getting it into the house and standing up straight but now he can’t manage even that. He also wants turkey on the day which feels like an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen for me, so any bright ideas welcome.

One lot of bedding is in the machine and the second load will follow when I have got DH up and ready to face the day. Not much in it, but I am sure we will find something to do, including having another go at the sitting room carpet where DH spilled a full mug of tea. It looks awful even though the carpet and tea stain are both beige - just not the same beige.

BlueSapphire Mon 14-Dec-20 09:21:30

Good morning everyone from a bright and dry Northampton. Having difficulty writing this as I have a cat on my lap who thinks it great fun to distract me by stroking my face. The thing is, her claws are quite sharp!

Have just emptied the kitchen freezer to defrost it, and put everything in the garage freezer. Then I brought the Christmas tree in so will have an interesting day trying to decorate it with the aid of two inquisitive cats.

Had a lovely weekend at DD's, being spoiled with lovely food. When they brought me home yesterday afternoon, DS-in-law fitted a new outside light above my back door, as the old one was playing up. I am very lucky to have such a lovely son-in-law!

Must get moving and start on the jobs for the day. Hope it's a good one for us all.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Dec-20 09:10:46

Gingster have a look in M & S food hall for the port & Stilton or even the big Sainsbury’s at the roundabout they both should have them.

Susan56 Mon 14-Dec-20 09:06:42

Good morning from Shropshire.Dry at the moment but rain forecast for later.

Our younger daughter and family have tested negative for Covid?such a relief.

We have joined the leaky ceiling group ?we think the shower has leaked onto our nicely decorated living room ceiling?the plumber has just arrived.

Hope Cherry has had a good night??and all with drs appointments and calls get good results.

Grammaretto and Ann,thinking of you and your families?

Have a good day all and stay safe.

Greyduster Mon 14-Dec-20 09:02:29

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Deep fried battered sprouts, Mick. Hmm! Different! Someone on a thread here had used them in a Christmas wreath. That was different too! The sun is shining in South Yorkshire and I have a GP appointment at lunchtime so taking advantage of the weather will have to wait until the afternoon. I had a bit of a down day yesterday, but I will try harder today. Have the best day you can folks.

Alygran Mon 14-Dec-20 08:56:08

Good morning from North Yorkshire where it is sunny. It rained much of yesterday and overnight.
Expecting the conservatory man this morning to change a plate of glass.
On line training event this afternoon.
DD2 is going home later today. It’s been lovely for us both to have some company. We are hoping to be together for Christmas.
Thoughts for all those with struggles and sadness.
Hope today is kind to everyone.

Gingster Mon 14-Dec-20 08:32:27

Good morning all and it’s a bit brighter than yesterday, here in Essex. Horrid day yesterday!

I love all the Christmas decs. They really brighten up our day. Lauranorder that fairy is the best . I bet your Gd loves that you put it up every year. ?

Oh my goodness Mick deep fried sprouts ?. I don’t mind them in bubble and squeak though.

Hope you appointments go well Urms And Grandmattie . You want to get sorted before the big day .

I’m going shopping with DD after she’s finished work at lunchtime. I want to buy a port and Stilton set for my DB who is 80 on the 23rd. I’ve been holding off ordering on line as i didn’t want him to receive it too early. Now, of course, they’re all sold out. ??. I need two amaryllis bulbs In pots as well for a neighbour and DIL’s mother. Then that’s IT!

Wishing you all a happy and stressfree day. ?

Lins1066 Mon 14-Dec-20 08:23:55

Good news Ash and lovely tree Jaxjacky

brook2704 Mon 14-Dec-20 08:23:39

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s another miserable dark wet day with a cold wind thrown into the mix as well... I’ll definitely need all my willpower to get out and about today!
Sorry you’re feeling so poorly grandMattie hopefully things improve soon
Hope your doctor soon sorts things out urmston lovely thought to take biscuits too!
Condolences to grammaretto and Ann
Not much planned for me today, I need to finish wrapping the last few presents and write the neighbours Christmas cards. We’re also on standby for the school pickup so will probably be doing that later.
Hope everyone with worries and struggles has a better day today and take care whatever the day brings ?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Dec-20 08:22:10

Good morning Mick and all

Very damp and grey here in S E Essex, I was woken at 5am by heavy rain and wind I turned over and miraculously went back to sleep until 8am.

Nothing planned other than to have our roast chicken for dinner as it didn’t defrosted in time for yesterday ??

Pleased your test was negotiating Ashcombe , glad your GP surgery is good Urmstongran our usually magnificent surgery has a ring of steel round it and our marvellous receptionist are constantly apologetic.

Keep safe and well folks ??

Lins1066 Mon 14-Dec-20 08:21:33

Good morning Mick and all from a dry S Welsh coast.
So sorry to hear about another bereavement for Gramarretto's family, my condolences.
I love your tree LauraNorder and your granddaughter's fairy on the top.
Some sheets to launder and I want to make Delia's chocolate torte before the cream is out of date. Hope everyone will have a pleasant Monday and keep safe.

Marydoll Mon 14-Dec-20 08:11:53

Disaster! The golf has been cancelled as the heavy rain is getting heavier!! No empty for me nor Christmas music belting through the Sonos system, while I footer about! Grrrrrrr!
I shall have to find some jobs to keep him out of mischief. ?

GM I hope you get some relief.?
I can appreciate how awful you must be feeling. I had a severe bout when I was in Coronary care last year, at least instant medical help was on hand for me. I was sent for a CT scan of my head to make sure nothing sinister was going on and threw up in the scanner! blush

cornergran Mon 14-Dec-20 08:11:51

Morning Mick. Morning All from a wonderfully dry corner of Somerset, it poured all day yesterday. Bed to change, laundry, a grocery list to finish and a call from cardiology for Mr C ahead for us today. Condolences and a hug for grammaretto and ann, I’m sorry you have more sadness. Take care everyone, hope there’s some sunshine for us all today.

LauraNorder Mon 14-Dec-20 08:00:20

The fairy on top of our tree was made by our teenage granddaughter when she was three years old, comes out every year

Pittcity Mon 14-Dec-20 07:58:04

Good morning from a brightening Colchester. The temperature is already in double figures. It rained all day yesterday and quite heavily overnight but we are promised a dry mild day today.
Food shop today. DH has already eaten some of the Christmas stash so that needs replacing. I also have some clothes I bought on a whim to return as they don't fit and I don't really need them.
Sending virtual hugs to you all ?

Stilllearning Mon 14-Dec-20 07:57:36

Morning from a still very dark S Lanarkshire. I'm hoping the rain dries up this morning and I'll get a walk with DD2 who lives about 10 miles away, it would be nice to have a change of scene.
My condolences to Grammaretto, your family has so much grief to contend with just now, remembering all of you. Thinking also of the little family annsixty mentioned, prayers for them.
Yesterday I made the cranberry sauce, it tastes fine but I don't remember being aware of the tiny seeds in it before. I used a different recipe which involved chopping the cranberries in a food processor first, I wonder if that's it. I think I'll use the small amount of berries I have left in my old method and see if there's a difference.
Heading out soon to get to the post office before it's busy, cards and parcels off and breathe!
Wishing everyone a good day.

baubles Mon 14-Dec-20 07:57:26

Good morning Mick, morning all from dark and dreary South Lanarkshire.

Not sure about deep fried sprouts Mick but as Ashcombe already mentioned, parboiled sprouts fried with bacon or pancetta are so tasty.

Grammaretto, my condolences to you and your family, you don’t have your troubles to seek jut now.

I hope you have a better day today grandMattie,

More lovely trees and decorations, very cheerful in these dark days.

More wrapping today, not much left now, I think I’m waiting for two deliveries to complete a couple of parcels.

Wishing you all a peaceful day.

LauraNorder Mon 14-Dec-20 07:56:31

Good morning Mick and all from dry, still and dark Anglesey.
Put up our tree yesterday and hope the builders remove the horrid blue window protection so that we can share the twinkly lights with passers by.
Our youngest grandson is three today, we’ll pop round and sing through the window when we deliver his present. Would love a cuddle but he apparently has a little cough so we won’t risk it.
Orlin is playing Carols downstairs, the tree has obviously got him in to Christmas mood.
flowers for those who need them
smile for everyone

Marydoll Mon 14-Dec-20 07:54:22

Good morning all from a very wet Glasgow. Once again DH is playing golf and once again, I think he is mad. He has just got Friday's wet clothes, clubs, shoes bag etc dried out! However, I'm looking forward to the empty, just not his return.?

Dear Elizabeth, you are on the correct thread, it is Monday today and we do have one each day. I hope you are making good progress and your husband is keeping much better better.

Ashcombe, lovely photo and what a relief to get a negative result. Hoping that those awaiting test results, also receive good news.

Mick deep fried Brussels sprouts doesn't quite cut if for me, but I suppose it is a good idea for using up leftovers.
Yesterday, I watched the Hairy Bikers making bubble and squeak, which sounds much more palatable.

Today I have one more gift to wrap and I'm done. that is if the Hermes courier turns up with it! I've never been so organised, even all the cards are done. He seems to have gone AWOL with it.
When I was working, my neighbours used to laugh at me rushing around posting cards on Christmas Eve. There were never enough hours in the day then, oh how I long for those busy times again!

Today I plan to make the jars of marmalade to give to my neighbours as little gifts. I may give it a lift with by adding some Cointreau. ? I have some mini kilner jars, so they should look quite nice.

I have a letter to write to my lovely son in law's brother's wife. We have really hit off and she is a prolific letter writer, so I must respond to her.
My SIL was the youngest of a very large family, witha huge age gap between the youngest and eldest and we discovered that his eldest brother and I were in the same archaeology class together. We have met them for meals on a few occasions and got on so well.
However, SIL's brother began to doubt if I was ever in his class at university, as I couldn't remember anything about the people in it or what we studied, until I produced the actual degree exam paper! Heaven knows why I have kept it!! Well it may be because after that exam on 4th June 1976, I got engaged in Kelvingrove Park, in the shadow of Glasgow University. Very romantic indeed. ??
After that I think DH completely lost his romantic mojo! ?

I was going to relate the story of DH and I's attempt yesterday, to put rug tape on two bedside rugs in a tight space. We didn't get tied up in knots, but more like stuck together with mega sticky rug tape!! ?
Oh and it hasn't worked. ?

Wishing everyone as pleasant a day as possible and keeping Grammaretto and her family in my thoughts. A dreadful time for her family. ?

Ashcombe Mon 14-Dec-20 07:52:54

Jaxjacky a lovely tree and full of memories and I like the trinkets!
So sorry to hear you’re suffering, grandMattie, and hope today sees an improvement.
Thank you, Dwmxwg, I’m feeling much better, just knowing it’s a cold related cough.
Thank you for all the concern and kind comments.

ginny Mon 14-Dec-20 07:52:13

Good Morning. A little bit of gold in the sky so maybe the weary will be an improvement on yesterday. We did walk down to the Sunday market. Hardly anyone there and we got soaked.

Had a driveway chat with friends who live around the corner.

Managed to put up the tree yesterday and the mantelpiece swag. Might put out a few more bits today.
I shall have a walk to the top of the town and deliver a gift and some baking to a friend. So, another driveway chat.

? grammeretto and Annsixty.

Wishing you all a ? today.

NannyJan53 Mon 14-Dec-20 07:47:04

Good Morning from a dark Black Country, where it looks dry for now.

Had a video call with Mum yesterday, and we included my Niece in Oz. It was almost her bedtime by then. They are still living an almost normal life there. She said she has never had to wear a mask, and she and a few friends are planning a camping trip to Tasmania after Christmas as she has a month off!

I spent some time yesterday cleaning and tidying out kitchen cupboards, so now I know exactly where 'stuff is' smile

I noticed yesterday when I looked at my bank account online I had received the Christmas bonus, all of £10! What to spend it on hmm. Apparently it started in the 70's when it would be worth around £90 in todays money.

No real plans today, hopefully a walk later.

Pleased you had a negative Covid test Ashcombe, what a relief.

Wishing you all a safe and pleasant day

Jaxjacky Mon 14-Dec-20 07:41:29

Good morning Mick and all from a dark, mild S Hants. Condolences to Grammaretto and annesixty, so sad.
But good news for Ashcombe.
A restless night, could not get off to sleep as easily as usual, no idea what time it was as I didn’t check, should sleep well tonight. Today I must start wrapping, or make stuffing, have to eke out the daily challenges.
The royal ‘we’ assembled the kitchen furniture on Saturday, it looks as I’d hoped and the tree is up. A hodgepodge tree, bits of felt and cardboard from both the children and GC’s, some are over 25 years old! Underneath are various ‘trinkets’ DH has bought me over the years
I’ll leave you with that and be good to yourselves today.

Beechnut Mon 14-Dec-20 07:39:09

Good Morning everyone from a wet Severnside where some sunshine is forecast for later with a breeze so I’ll get the sheets on the line and dry hopefully.
Relief on your results Ashcombe and my condolences on your sad news Grammaretto.

I have one last Christmas item to put into place and decorate and that’s it. For future years if I’m on my own I’m thinking
I might do things differently. My different thing this year will be to keep the decorations out of the attic as I’m doing my best to clear it out. It’s obvious if things are up there they aren’t really needed.

I hope you all have a good day and stay safe ?

Sar53 Mon 14-Dec-20 07:38:53

Good morning from Essex by the sea where it is dry at the moment. Yesterday was a horrible wet and very miserable day.
Housework for me this morning and joy of joy a pile of ironing.
My sincere condolences to Grammaretto and Ann at this very sad time.
A pleasant Monday to you all xx