Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday ( New Years Day )

(88 Posts)
12Michael Fri 01-Jan-21 06:12:49

Good Morning Everyone, and Happy New Year .
Its still dark in Brackley but cold and dry outside , jobs today change calendars ,and year planner.
Should be a quiet day ,maybe shop to get a paper , and some items .
looking forward and hoping 2021 , sees an end to current things , so I can watch my cycling , when the events should be in the year .
Take Care ,
Mick

GrannyRose15 Fri 01-Jan-21 16:07:11

Bodach

Bliadhna Mhath Ur, agus Slainte Mhath!

Go raibh maith agat, Bodach.

Hymnbook Fri 01-Jan-21 14:25:27

Should say chilly!

Hymnbook Fri 01-Jan-21 14:24:42

Good afternoon everyone.It's chilly here in Sherwood but dry and bright I hope you are all keeping well. Hoping for a better year. I actually stayed up to see the new year in . I watched Jools Holland Hootenanny l really enjoyed it. I though it was better than other years as there were no silly drunk guests making fools of themselves. Lots of good music and memories from his archives. I would love to see him and his orchestra and fabulous singer Ruby Turner. They have been to the concert hall here in Nottingham in the past perhaps l will get the chance this year.

mrshat Fri 01-Jan-21 14:03:58

A Happy New Year to all on this thread from this ‘lurker’ in a freezing cold West Herts. It’s been a privilege to read your comings and going’s, your sadnesses and joys and I wish you all every blessing for 2021.

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 01-Jan-21 13:35:08

Thank you Taichinan, that means a lot. ?

Gillyanne Fri 01-Jan-21 13:30:46

Happy New Year from a cold overcast North Cambs , we had a quiet evening here and went to bed early . We were woken at midnight by one small session of fireworks which was nice really as it made us feel like there was life out there .
Keep safe everyone and lets all hope for a spring that brings some good things to enjoy.

Harris27 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:21:27

Have a lovely day with your boy grandmattie I feel your joy having not seen much of mine for a while. Thank you to all of the gns who have lifted me daily over this awful emotional year. I hope 2021 is good for all of us healing and hopeful and most importantly healthy. Having a lazy day after a long wine New Year’s Eve. Which was lovely. Take care all. X

hsgi Fri 01-Jan-21 13:04:48

Happy New Year 2021. I pray this year is a fruitful and better one for us all and that the Virus moves away from the UK forever.

Ashcombe, in your area, does it rain a lot? And how hot does it get in Summer months? I am looking for a bungalow to buy as I am retired and want out of London and the Counties. I love the cold, so your comment about it being -2 is attractive to me. But I don't like very hot sunny weather. If you can spare a few minutes, please tell me more about Torbay for a mixed race 67 year old. Thank you for obliging me.

Taichinan Fri 01-Jan-21 12:54:19

Oh dear Oldbut that`s not good news. Fingers crossed with you.

Taichinan Fri 01-Jan-21 12:44:42

It was the same here Ash, although the boats are smaller - oil rig support vessels. My late DP and I used to stand outside to listen to them and watch the firework displays dotted around the local towns. We would then walk round to the front of the house and look at the stars (no light pollution from the town an port there) before "letting the New Year in" by the front door.

readalot Fri 01-Jan-21 12:32:52

Good afternoon Mike and every one who posts. It's a nice bright day here in Co Durham,it's warmed up a bit. I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I hope we have a better one this year

HAZBEEN Fri 01-Jan-21 12:29:46

Good morning everyone and a Happy New Year!
Last night my OH decided we needed a party after the last horrible year! No big meal just lots of nibbles set out to pick at as we wanted, music and dancing in very short bursts! Even the cat was waltzed around the room at one stage!
I did manage to stay awake this year for the first time in ages to see in the new year even if it was sitting in bed with a glass of fizz watching the fireworks through the window!
Late up today but OH has already got a beef casserole on the go for tonight, been for the papers and made me 2 cups of tea, I knew there was a reason love him!
Have a good day everyone and stay safe.

Taichinan Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:39

Happy New Year, all my lovely new friends from 2020 - the best thing to emerge from that Covid-riddled time! I'm so glad to have found you.
I'm very late this morning - dreadful night with two flare-ups of eczema so once the second one had died down I slept until 10.30 . Up, showered, washing on and a set of tai chi completed and now ready to face whatever the day brings - not a lot sadly! But the sun is shining on the Angus coast, so that can't be bad. Now I'm off to read all your posts. Make the best of the day you can, and stay safe. ???

GrandmasueUK Fri 01-Jan-21 11:59:55

Gourd morning Mick and all who follow from a dry Greater Manchester. Happy New Year to you all and thank you for helping me through this difficult year.

I've loved reading the Good morning thread every day but don't post a lot on it as I'm usually up later. I'm more of an owl.

Had a lovely funny Taskmaster evening last night over Zoom with family in Portugal. I never thought I'd be racing round my house searching for funny items to wear or make pictures out of! Drink was consumed and we chatted and saw the New Year in together.

Later today we'll have a Facetime with the same family but including DGs who were asleep last night.

Hopefully this year we all get together with missing loved ones.

Take care and stay safe. flowers

Happysexagenarian Fri 01-Jan-21 11:58:51

I don't usually visit this daily thread, but wanted to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year from the freezing cold and frosty Isle of Wight.

Annaram1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:51:14

Hi all, HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2021 be better for us all and bring better health for all Grans in pain or
sickness. My doctor son got his jab yesterday and is very chuffed. I expect to get mine in about 6 weeks.
Have a good day all.

Mollygo Fri 01-Jan-21 11:24:25

Good morning all from a chilly 2degrees in North Lancashire. I stayed up to see the New Year in with a little glass of Baileys Chocolate. The fireworks over Morecambe Bay were lovely when I opened the door at midnight and really cheered me up. Sorry for all the pets, but at least it only lasted 5 -10 minutes this time.

I think people have decided to get out and walk early today as there’s been a constant stream of folk past our house with and without dogs, since around 8 o’clock. Amazing how many people are now wearing hats. The pavements still look worryingly slippy to me, so I’ll wait till after lunch.
Let’s hope the vaccine makes 2021 improve quickly!

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 01-Jan-21 11:19:57

Thank you Sparklefizz and CherryCezzy for your kind wishes. Thankfully my lovely girl is ok for now, I’m just praying it stays that way for her and her family. Son-in-law is waiting for results and she’s booked her children in for testing ?.

I think another poster’s wish for hope and resilience is perfect for 2021. I wish the same for you all ??

harrigran Fri 01-Jan-21 11:15:11

Good morning from the NE where it is raining.
Happy New Year.
I went to bed at 11pm but had stomach pains, within minutes I was being sick and that lasted until 2am. A repeat of Christmas day when I had the same.
There seemed to be a lot of fireworks for a society that is locked down.
A quiet day for us.

mrswoo Fri 01-Jan-21 11:10:53

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year from Newcastle.
Ashcombe your post reminded me of when we lived in Oban and the CalMac ferries would sound their horns at midnight - it felt very special. Unfortunately the horns and bang-crashes of fireworks upset our 2 wee Jack Russells who thought we were under attack.
My New Year wish is simply that 2021 brings with it, comfort for those who are suffering with ill health and sadness and hope for all of us that life may slowly return to normal.

LauraNorder Fri 01-Jan-21 11:09:59

Good morning and very happy new year to Mick and all you wonderful gransnetters.
Thank you Mick for this lovely start to the day, every day. Thank you all for brightening every day with your warmth, care and kindness and for sharing your pain and sadness too which helps us all to feel that we’re all in it together.
We did stay up just to make sure that 2020 high tailed it out of here and yes it’s gone, hurray.
So here we all are going forward in to the year we beat back a pandemic, forge a new partnership with our friends and neighbours and campaign hard for peace in our world.
Happy new year everyone. 2021 ?

NemosMum Fri 01-Jan-21 11:06:15

Happy New Year from Newcastle upon Tyne. I kept my tradition of being in bed by midnight last night, and it seems that many others have done the same this year! NYE parties always over-rated in my view! It was raining early this morning, but has brightened up now and it's a lot milder than yesterday (still at -1C by this time). My niece has been for the traditional New Year's Day swim at Whitley Bay, but I'm at home, about to make a full British brunch. The next generation may or may not be nursing hangovers this morning. I'm happy to leave them to it. I'll be roasting some pork for this evening's meal. Pity the TV is so dire, but I'm content to be on my own this year. Looking forward to a much better year for all of us in 2021!

Kalu Fri 01-Jan-21 11:05:29

Good morning from a silent, frosty morning in Glasgow.

Last night found me reminiscing about previous Hogmanay Do’s and a time when eightsome reels were a dawdle. Fast forward to a point where, getting myself up from the sofa is a struggle. ?

Happy New Year all and may the year ahead be one of good health, peace and happiness.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:48:31

Happy New Year Mick and all ??

Not a lot planned for today (as usual). I need to have a root round the feeezer to see what delights are hiding?

Gillybob if you are reading this I do hope that 2021 is an improvement on last year for you, you are definitely missed here on the GM thread ?

Sending good wishes to all with troubles, worries, health problems or just having a wobble.

Keep safe and well folks ?

EllanVannin Fri 01-Jan-21 10:40:35

Good Morning All x----White Rabbits and a Happy New Year to Mick and All ( all in one breath )
A still non-frosty morning so far. It rained lightly last night meaning that the coldness of yesterday had gone.

Fireworks galore last night from somewhere, probably over the water on Liverpool's waters edge.
After the saga of the neighbour locking herself out last night, when she returned the key to the outside gate to me she then invited myself and another close neighbour to join her in a New Year celebratory drink.

Anyway, the three of us enjoyed a distant chat in her living room and I had the tiniest drop of whisky in a glass full of lemonade and ice which lasted me a couple of hours, which wet the whistle, with nibbles too and other neighbour and me left about 1.30am.

I didn't wake until 9am, though disturbed around 4am when someone decided to have their own firework display, but I fell back to sleep again.

The whole evening was completely out of the blue as I'd been quietly watching the Sound of Music and my peace had been turned on its head grin What was one night in years ?

Back to my quiet life, crumpets and hot choc.! A Christmas dinner again today with some of the turkey breast I sliced up and froze last week, now thawed in the 'fridge.

It's just lovely hearing of others " doings " and reads like a book which is why it takes me so long before I post.

What will this year bring I wonder ? To keep us all safe and well would be a good start, which is what I would hope for above anything.
Thoughts to anyone whose New Year hasn't started well x
Hoping that our Gilly can make an appearance at some point, though she will when she's ready x

Enjoy the new day and New Year, stay safe and take care xx