Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancestry DNA

(32 Posts)
heath480 Sun 24-Jan-21 21:44:32

I found a first cousin I knew nothing about.Found out I have over 50 first cousins,some I knew of but not all.

Another Cousin had done a family tree,a beautiful bound book,I now have a copy and been able to contact loads of relatives from it.

For me it really was worth it.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 24-Jan-21 21:43:51

As Nonagran says anyone with matching DNA has to be on the site you are on.
I am matched with several people who don’t have a tree on the site, they had a DNA test, they appear to be related, but I can’t find out which line of the family I match, so far they haven’t answered to my messages to them.
23 and Me seems to be very accurate , but again the trees need to be on the sites for you to have a look.

midnightschild Sun 24-Jan-21 21:39:33

I’ve discovered a very close relative that no one in the family knew about. Big shock, but very exciting. Also, cousins who it has been lovely to get to know. Some of these were on the other side of the world, so I have found it really interesting.

PECS Sun 24-Jan-21 21:35:20

My cousins discovered a half sister! You need to be prepared for surprises!

Tangerine Sun 24-Jan-21 21:13:03

A long lost relative found me through this site. I was delighted but I don't necessarily think everyone would be as fortunate.

I have struck up a friendship with this person.

Nonogran Sun 24-Jan-21 20:46:31

As far as I know these DNA tests are not terribly reliable. My daughter did it with another heritage organisation & in reality it told her very little of interest as far as her heritage was concerned. Apparently all these DNA companies don't "talk" or share data with each other so if you're looking for long lost or distant relatives it wouldn't be very helpful if they've signed up with a different organisation.
Maybe what I'm saying is total rubbish so maybe someone will come along soon who will tell something different and, has been successful and happy with whatever they were hoping to achieve. I'll follow with interest.

mrsmopp Sun 24-Jan-21 19:52:46

Sorry if this has come up before. I’m interested in feedback from anyone who has had their DNA test from Ancestry. It costs 99 dollars. Is it good value and did you learn much? I’ve been tracing my family tree and not found anyone from outside the UK. Would love some feedback, thanks.