Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you collect anything ?

(128 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:19:06

I have some nice old pottery that people in the family have passed down to me, knowing I enjoy it. I also like small wooden objects though there are only so many you can collect over the years. I love looking round antique shops and op shops for ‘treasures’.

ss1024 Thu 04-Feb-21 18:20:28

Beach glass as well as sand from around the world. I keep the sand in wavy jars and each one has a metal label attached indicating where it came from.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Feb-21 17:26:16

I have a collection of Lladro Eskimos and polar bears; always used to love holidays in Spain, as I usually found something new. Think I've got most of them now.

My daughter loved Pendelfin as a child, and has a large collection; think they are now stored in a box.

Joesoap Thu 04-Feb-21 16:48:36

I collect Devon pottery ware the kind that have a cream background with a small pattern on, and a saying written on part of the piece or the name of the place they are about, they are so cute and easily found in some antique shops at a reasonable prce too.
I used to collect really old medicine bottles the cobolt blue ones the green ones with the do not take on them, I in fact remember using them when a Nurse in the 6o,s so they arent so old really !

Redhead56 Thu 04-Feb-21 15:11:25

Anything to do with foxes even clothing etc. My daughter recently hinted her baby has too much clothing with foxes on. I love Champagne saucers or coupes but they do take up space and can be expensive.

Grandma70s Thu 04-Feb-21 14:40:39

I’ve got an album full of cigarette cards. Nobody in my family smoked, but the cards were widespread currency when I wasa child. Among others I have complete sets of Grand National and Derby winners. I wasn’t a secret betting addict. I just liked horses, and especially their exotic names.

Happysexagenarian Thu 04-Feb-21 14:37:50

HelloGirl1 Hello fellow Lilliput collector. Glad you enjoy them as much as I do. smile

Happysexagenarian Thu 04-Feb-21 14:24:43

Dust! grin
But, yes, I collect Lilliput Lane models - cottages, village shops and snowy Christmassy models. I think I have about 60. They're very detailed and quite charming. Some of my collection depict places we have visited over the years. The company has gone out of business now and they're no longer made although they're still available through auction sites. I don't have them on display all the time, just bring a selection out at a time. The snowy ones are only displayed at Christmas and populate a Christmas Village I made last year. I doubt if I'll buy any more as my AC won't want them when I'm gone!

Sparky56 Thu 04-Feb-21 14:20:54

Cat ornaments and niknaks. Love cats but not got one at the moment after our ginger Tom died suddenly a short while agosad
When we travelled a lot we brought back fridge magnets and sun ornaments. The magnets are still on my fridge but unfortunately the suns are still packed away after downsizing a couple of years ago. We can remember where we got some of them - told DH we should’ve written place of purchase on back!

Photocrazy Thu 04-Feb-21 14:09:10

Loved reading about the things that you all collect and realised that the only thing I am fanatical about collecting is cardboard boxes!! I love having a box to hand when I need to send gifts etc. to my two sons and their families who live abroad for birthdays, Christmases etc.

arosebyanyothername Thu 04-Feb-21 13:56:02

I used to collect paperweights. I still have them but they’re tucked away until I decide what to do with them.
I’ve been decluttering during lockdown so I hope the charity shop benefit from my ‘treasures soon’ ?

Bijou Thu 04-Feb-21 13:31:23

Teddy bears and small china items from every place visited.

mimismo Thu 04-Feb-21 13:26:51

Wooden puzzles and miniatures, often souvenirs or gifts, displayed on 2 recycled print drawers.

OnwardandUpward Thu 04-Feb-21 12:42:19

Not consciously... I don't like dusting, so I prefer minimalism.

Willow3 Thu 04-Feb-21 12:38:54

Fridge magnets from places I've been on holiday, probably a bit naff but I enjoy looking at them!

claresc0tt Thu 04-Feb-21 12:37:59

I started collecting porcelain dolls

Froglady Thu 04-Feb-21 12:30:15

I collect ornamental frogs and used to have over 500 of them but then decided to cut back so I have around 200 now.

SillyNanny321 Thu 04-Feb-21 12:19:31

I used to collect Enchantica Dragons until they started changing to ‘Blingy’ then gave up. Still have my originals & love them all especially Andrew Bills dragons. Have lots of other cheaper dragons that are all ‘gnarly’ proper dragons as dragons are a passion from childhood! I have thousands of books all necessities, History, Fantasy & SF! Really need more room for them all! Clutter much ?

Keke Thu 04-Feb-21 12:08:27

I collect Belleek and crystal. The oldest piece I have is over 100years old and so fragile.
Belleek make some beautiful basket weave pieces. I have one of my mums ornaments. They are so beautiful.

Moggycuddler Thu 04-Feb-21 12:05:23

No. We have no space! We have a lot of cds, dvds and books. But not things we collect for the sake of collecting, like ornaments etc. If I had the space, I'd probably collect cats. Real ones. I love them, but the four sweeties we have are our limit!

jenni123 Thu 04-Feb-21 12:00:11

I collect unusual clocks, plus polar bears, ornaments or cuddly's, I also have wolf ornaments.

Startingover61 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:55:36

UK Christmas stamps - presentation packs. Started in 2000 and last year decided to look for all previous years going back to 1966 when the first ones were issued. I’ve found a great shop on eBay and have been adding to my collection.

Knittynatter Thu 04-Feb-21 11:52:28

LadyGracie

I collect knitting yarn, I think it's more of a fetish.

???
Me too!

Lesley60 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:42:44

Yes I collect clothes that I will get back into one day ?

4allweknow Thu 04-Feb-21 11:41:17

Collected small crystal item for a few years. Started when I was given crystal dishes as wedding presents. My DM liked crystal and I suspect when asked by folk what to give as a gift she told them anything crystal. I inherited some of her stuff. Only items used are wine and whisky glasses. All the other stuff in a cupboard.

Chrisks Thu 04-Feb-21 11:38:14

I used to collect elephant ornaments, I had so many!
My husband collects board games and they are housed in every cupboard in the house!