Gransnet forums

Chat

Evictions/Bailiffs. Do people really not know?

(65 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 12-Feb-21 04:35:07

If they have ignored all past warnings ( and they will have had plenty) the High Court does not send letters so by the time you see the programme these are people who would have had many letters or notices and ignored them
High court gives no more warnings it’s straight in
Doodlebug I would expect they are paid well to take part in the programme it’s not just a random filming so they would be welcoming it not telling them to naff off ?

Millie22 Thu 11-Feb-21 14:17:02

A programme about debt collection is so wrong imo as it is humiliating for the people involved. It is amazing how fast something can escalate from even a single debt and at each stage there are extra fees/charges.

25Avalon Thu 11-Feb-21 13:49:10

Good point M0nica.

Peasblossom Thu 11-Feb-21 13:45:26

They get paid Doodledog

M0nica Thu 11-Feb-21 13:37:22

The capacity for people to bury their heads in the sand when faced by debt problems should never be understimated.

They get the letters and push them into a drawer unopened, or behind the settee or stuff them in a cupboard,. Occasionally they put them in the bin, although this is surprisingly rare.

They do not attend court, they do not seek help, they just hope that if they ignore it long enough, it will go away. They often just do not know what they can do. Transfixed like rabbits in spotlights.

So when the bailiffs arrive it is a surprise and a dreadful shock, and, as the programme often shows, they are then directed to the srvices that can help them.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Feb-21 13:34:46

Two points
1. As Jax said denial is not uncommon in situations involving debts. Years ago in my work with CA I remember visiting a young woman who when I gently asked about other debts ( not just the one she presented with) opened a drawer in her sideboard full of ignored often unopened brown envelopes.
2. Why does anyone watch programmes like this?

Doodledog Thu 11-Feb-21 13:20:11

I don't understand why they don't tell the TV cameras to naff off. Bad enough to have that happen (particularly if it's because of circumstances beyond their control), but to have it televised as entertainment for ghouls must be really humiliating. A lot of channel 5 programming is like that, though - 'documentaries' about people on benefits or the overweight etc. It's cruel.

Jaxjacky Thu 11-Feb-21 13:01:05

Most are in denial with letters from the County Court giving a date to leave, so they ignore it. If the initiator gets a High Court judgement, which supersedes the previous one, they gate no date and must leave immediately the bailiff turns up.

vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 12:59:22

They must know they've not paid their rent or a debt so it can't come as that much of a surprise.

cornishpatsy Thu 11-Feb-21 12:58:27

If it is from the High Court, often done to speed up the process, there is no notice.

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Feb-21 12:56:19

If addressed to one person in the house (or who is estranged or separated for example) the rest of the house may not know.

vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 12:50:39

I've watched a few of the landlord/tenant programmes. I think the final letter is sent by registered mail and a notice is fastened to the front door so they have no excuse.

Blossoming Thu 11-Feb-21 12:47:42

I thought people had to accept the notice before the bailiffs were sent in.

keepingquiet Thu 11-Feb-21 12:42:46

television.

Ohmother Thu 11-Feb-21 12:39:00

I often watch the TV programmes but nobody EVER seems to have received the letter from the courts? I can’t believe how often the tenants/debtor announces this. Has anyone here had any experience of this from either side? Intrigued.